E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
TampaE46

My Ride: E46 330CI
Question Confused... P0118

Im at 118k now, had my oil done at 116k by BMW, coolant flush and fill at 116k by BMW and a LI inspection at 116k by BMW. 2001 330ci Auto/Step.

I searched before posting and my problems, although similar are not related to OP's in other threads. (outside of similar code)

Moving on, I noticed I was throwing a P0118 (with my temp gauge always buried in the red and giving me a read out of -128, Occasionally it would right itself and give me a proper read out of anything between 90-96 when the engine warmed and anything between 30-50-70 when I started it up and was building temp/getting up to op temp... Anyways I decided that I would do a full coolant overhaul. I replaced upper/lower hoses, expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, and temp sensors in tank and hoses, oh and I picked up a K&N since my dry filter needed to be replaced.
Quote:
P0118 - Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) Circuit High Input MOD$12
Bled/rebled/filled/checked oil and drove ~15 miles. Erased code... Yada yada... Great install, went as planned and everything worked, for about 10 miles and while I drove to work.
Anyways I start my car tonight after work and it starts great, idles fine and shows it at 34*C, warms fine and sits at 90-96, well before I got on the tollway, boom, buried in the red and showing -128 again... WTF? I scan when I get home and Im throwing P0118 all over again. New Thermostat/housing/hoses/tank/sensors... Did I miss something? I noticed that it's a "high electrical input" error. Am I having an electrical issue at this point? I would like to fix it myself but am half tempted to take it to the stealership and see what they say.

What do the gods think? Electrical? Faulty thermostat? Bad sensors? I really wanted to have this cleared up after the whole walk through.

I've read and googled anything from faulty sensors, faulty thermos, faulty gauges to bad wiring and electronics/ecu/vanos... I just dont know what to think and Im trying to save myself from the $500 LII @ BMW although I think it'd be a good idea to do before 120k regardless. Ugh... Decisions decisions.

I am stumped.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:35 PM   #2
quirino18

My Ride: 2000 323CI AUTO TIPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaE46 View Post
Im at 118k now, had my oil done at 116k by BMW, coolant flush and fill at 116k by BMW and a LI inspection at 116k by BMW. 2001 330ci Auto/Step.

I searched before posting and my problems, although similar are not related to OP's in other threads. (outside of similar code)

Moving on, I noticed I was throwing a P0118 (with my temp gauge always buried in the red and giving me a read out of -128, Occasionally it would right itself and give me a proper read out of anything between 90-96 when the engine warmed and anything between 30-50-70 when I started it up and was building temp/getting up to op temp... Anyways I decided that I would do a full coolant overhaul. I replaced upper/lower hoses, expansion tank, thermostat, water pump, and temp sensors in tank and hoses, oh and I picked up a K&N since my dry filter needed to be replaced.

Bled/rebled/filled/checked oil and drove ~15 miles. Erased code... Yada yada... Great install, went as planned and everything worked, for about 10 miles and while I drove to work.
Anyways I start my car tonight after work and it starts great, idles fine and shows it at 34*C, warms fine and sits at 90-96, well before I got on the tollway, boom, buried in the red and showing -128 again... WTF? I scan when I get home and Im throwing P0118 all over again. New Thermostat/housing/hoses/tank/sensors... Did I miss something? I noticed that it's a "high electrical input" error. Am I having an electrical issue at this point? I would like to fix it myself but am half tempted to take it to the stealership and see what they say.

What do the gods think? Electrical? Faulty thermostat? Bad sensors? I really wanted to have this cleared up after the whole walk through.

I've read and googled anything from faulty sensors, faulty thermos, faulty gauges to bad wiring and electronics/ecu/vanos... I just dont know what to think and Im trying to save myself from the $500 LII @ BMW although I think it'd be a good idea to do before 120k regardless. Ugh... Decisions decisions.

I am stumped.
http replace
xxxx://www.obd-codes.com/p0118
quirino18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
quirino18

CausesA code P0118 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

A bad connection at the sensor = check plug
An open in the ground circuit between the ECT sensor and the PCM =broken ground cable

A short in the voltage feed between the sensor and the PCM=a power cable hitting ground
A bad PCM (less likely) = your fk just kidding
A bad temperature sensor (shorted internally)=if integrated in thermostat thermostat might be oppening correctlly but sensor is reading a different temp.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #4
quirino18

if it goes all the way to the red area but the car doesnt over heat that tells me thermostat is fine! however the gage going all the way up tells me either your sensor is bad or the feedback cable hitting ground!!
a sensor works by adjusting its resistance!
on the pic. where am touching both probes the resistance is .1 which mean there is direct contact= strong signal
on the other pic. you see a big number 7.51= less contact the higher the number the less the contact that is making!!
so having said that your feedback adjusts as the water changes temperature so if your thermostat is not over heating your car either the sensor or cables are acting up! turn on the car and try moving the wires but have someone check d cluster while u move it!
am not sure if you have a 2, 3 wire sensor or 4 if you have a 2 wire sensor it works with ground only see sketch i'll load it in a bit my pc is acting up!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0471.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	420155   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0472.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	420156  
Old 10-04-2012, 07:08 AM   #5
bkane

My Ride: 2002 325I
Did you ever get this issue resolved? I have the same problem but have not begun replacing parts yet. The issue points to the coolant sensor in the head but it appears you may have to remove the intake manifold to replace. Hope I can gain access to it by removing the cabin filter housing and side panel. Amazing so much labor to replace a $20 sensor.
bkane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooling, engine, p0118, sensor, thermostat