E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #41
02alpinebimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACS3_e46_coupe View Post
looks realy good i want to do my headliner and pillars to.

the suede you use ist it the same like alcantara?
i have not heard about suede here in europe so i gues its the same?

wil the color stay or wil it fade after some years?
Thank you!
I have not personally felt alcantara, but the texture looks close.
Only time will tell about the fading. I heard it would but not sure about this specific material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conrad721 View Post
great job!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksideracer69 View Post
Mmmmm

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer
Indeed

I can read/reset engine codes. (87 and up)
PM ME

-Steve OK-
02alpinebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 PM   #42
///Mostarac

My Ride: SiennaE46 & Cbr600rr
damn dude, some beautiful work! How long did the suede headliner take? Looks time consuming! I was planning out doing mine suede too
///Mostarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #43
jai_c

My Ride: 2001 325ci
Looks awesome! i wanna do that to my seats also but im too chicken lol
Old 11-08-2011, 03:35 PM   #44
Kcaps

My Ride: '02 325i
That is one beautiful interior! Amazing.
Kcaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #45
jlcool007

My Ride: E46 330ci Smoked Out
gorgeous.... can you take some a bit farther out? (i.e. with the door framed in the picture?

awesome job... seriously. I think cinnamon is so much more luxurious than any other color.... very warm and inviting.

great work!

***staggered style #68 330ci spt. pgk. wheels w/ PS2's***

***full set amber 2001 330ci lights***

***99-01 coupe smoked corners***

Jason Le Blanc's Facebook profile
jlcool007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 12:37 PM   #46
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mostarac View Post
damn dude, some beautiful work! How long did the suede headliner take? Looks time consuming! I was planning out doing mine suede too
Oh yeah, it sure is time consuming. I got about a total of 9 hours into mine due to a few mistakes. Its worth it though to take your time especially when you get to the grab handle recess of the liner. DO IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jai_c View Post
Looks awesome! i wanna do that to my seats also but im too chicken lol
Thanks dude.Youll be alright if you prep right. Plenty of fanatics have done this already.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcaps View Post
That is one beautiful interior! Amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcool007 View Post
gorgeous.... can you take some a bit farther out? (i.e. with the door framed in the picture?

awesome job... seriously. I think cinnamon is so much more luxurious than any other color.... very warm and inviting.

great work!
here you go man.
Photobucket

PM ME

-Steve OK-

Last edited by 02alpinebimmer; 11-10-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #47
mbadger

My Ride: '02 325i '95 325ic
I'm in awe of this thread..love the work..just used that Duplicolor Vinly Flat on my E36 door panels (tan/black scheme) and I can vouch that it is very good and durable..looks like factory..
Old 11-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #48
Trashcan

My Ride: 2002 330ci
i used the same glue for my pillars but i believe i used the strongest they had at jo annes fabrics, worked great on the suede. ive been considering doing my headliner in suede but was worried about removing the foam from behind if things might be looser when putting it all back in. how was the fit when it went back in?

consider this my bookmark to possibly do this entire project later, great work man, only got about half way through and cant wait to read the rest.
Trashcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 05:51 PM   #49
IamMiike

My Ride: 01 330ci
Wish I had the time/money to do this... Do you know if black seats can be dyed cinamon or will it come out too dark?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:32 PM   #50
HyeWarrior

My Ride: '03 325i --> '13 GTI
Hey dude I'm planning on doing my headliner this weekend! I was wondering, what paint did you use to paint the misc plastic pieces? Also, did you take the foam off the headliner and just lay down the suede on there bare? I'm just gonna go with a basic black fabric, nothing fancy....

Wow
So Amaze
Much Torque Steer
Such FWDoge
HyeWarrior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:01 PM   #51
Trashcan

How much dye did it take to spray all that? And when you sand how does that effect the stitching on the leather?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Bimmer
Old 11-15-2011, 08:06 PM   #52
Trashcan

And how difficult do you think it would be to get a nice line doing just the centers of the seats

Old 11-16-2011, 01:25 AM   #53
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbadger View Post
I'm in awe of this thread..love the work..just used that Duplicolor Vinly Flat on my E36 door panels (tan/black scheme) and I can vouch that it is very good and durable..looks like factory..
Thanks man. I appreciate the admiration! Yeah duplicolor is pretty much fail proof. I seen an e36 somewhere in this forum that had dove grey (think that's what It's called) and it was beautiful. Not sure what u would use for that color matching.

PM ME

-Steve OK-
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 AM   #54
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMiike View Post
Wish I had the time/money to do this... Do you know if black seats can be dyed cinamon or will it come out too dark?
Sure can. Neil1138 did it on his black seats. It took him I think 5 coats to get the results he was looking for. You can make time, just cut back on sleeping or eating...

PM ME

-Steve OK-
Old 11-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #55
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeWarrior View Post
Hey dude I'm planning on doing my headliner this weekend! I was wondering, what paint did you use to paint the misc plastic pieces? Also, did you take the foam off the headliner and just lay down the suede on there bare? I'm just gonna go with a basic black fabric, nothing fancy....
For the grab handles and all other accessories I used the vinyl and fabric paint because I wanted it to match. seems to hold up just fine...
And yes I did take the foam off the headliner. I found that once you sprayed the glue on the foam, it became weak and with the slightest tugging/stretching of the suede it started to peel away from the surface of the headliner. So that's why I scrubbed it off and glued the suede right to the headliner. In my opinion, it feels just fine without the foam being on.

PM ME

-Steve OK-
Old 11-16-2011, 11:19 AM   #56
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
i used the same glue for my pillars but i believe i used the strongest they had at jo annes fabrics, worked great on the suede. ive been considering doing my headliner in suede but was worried about removing the foam from behind if things might be looser when putting it all back in. how was the fit when it went back in?

consider this my bookmark to possibly do this entire project later, great work man, only got about half way through and cant wait to read the rest.
Fitment is just fine. Matter of fact, my windshield pillars actually fit better than when everything had foam on it. Appreciate the support and glad I could help.

Quote:
How much dye did it take to spray all that? And when you sand how does that effect the stitching on the leather?

The dye kit is from leatherique.com. If you tell them what you are wanting to dye, they will put together a kit for your specifications. I think m kit was for a large sofa. For the stitching I sanded over it lightly but enough to remove coloring from the piping/edging of the seam. I dont have any fraying of the stitching if that's what you are asking. You can be kinda rough with it as it is recessed just below the surface of the leather.

Quote:
And how difficult do you think it would be to get a nice line doing just the centers of the seats

I actually did a partial dye on my original project back in '09. You have to use a tooth brush to really scrub wear the seam meets, but risk the fact that u may remove some color from the portion you dont want to dye. It definitley takes some patience but can be done.

PM ME

-Steve OK-
Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 AM   #57
Trashcan

great advice, thank you much. you have most definately inspired me to do this. i just get nervous with my interior.
did it take 2 people to lay the suede on the headliner?
Old 11-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #58
SennaSixty8

My Ride: ///M & M's
Fantastik Werke ! 100% impressed, and I've helped a family member do a few re-dyes on other BMW's, including two e46's. You should really stand proud knowing that your end result looks OEM (or even BETTER than OEM).
SennaSixty8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #59
02alpinebimmer

Quote:
great advice, thank you much. you have most definately inspired me to do this. i just get nervous with my interior.
did it take 2 people to lay the suede on the headliner?
No prob. I actually did it all by myself. However, 2 people would make it easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SennaSixty8 View Post
Fantastik Werke ! 100% impressed, and I've helped a family member do a few re-dyes on other BMW's, including two e46's. You should really stand proud knowing that your end result looks OEM (or even BETTER than OEM).
Appreciate it man. I am very happy with the results. I wanted that "off the showroom floor" look and I feel as though I achieved it.

PM ME

-Steve OK-
Old 11-19-2011, 11:38 AM   #60
Reif99

My Ride: 2004 ZHP
Not interested in redoing my interior, but yours looks great!
Reif99 is offline   Reply With Quote