E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 02-25-2013, 04:24 PM   #2001
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Larry View Post
reason i asked is i recently moved into a place in manhattan that has a gym in the building. it's not fully stocked, but it has about 80% of everything i'd want in a gym. right now, i'm mildly annoyed by what's missing. i'm trying to figure out whether this mild annoyance will eventually turn into major annoyance, which would force me to pay $80-90 a month for an expensive ass nyc gym.
What is it missing. I know I wouldn't pay the extra money.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #2002
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
reason i asked is i recently moved into a place in manhattan that has a gym in the building. it's not fully stocked, but it has about 80% of everything i'd want in a gym. right now, i'm mildly annoyed by what's missing. i'm trying to figure out whether this mild annoyance will eventually turn into major annoyance, which would force me to pay $80-90 a month for an expensive ass nyc gym.
I'd say make do with what you have. $80 - 90 a month can go a long way towards better food, lifting shoes, etc. Lots of strong and ripped people all around the world that probably only have access to 10% of what's in your building's gym.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #2003
DylloS

Hell yea. Sept 2013 1 rep max bench goal hit. New goal 240.

Last edited by DylloS; 01-21-2014 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #2004
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
What is it missing. I know I wouldn't pay the extra money.
the big thing i'm missing is a squat rack. however, i'm still a member of my gym near my parent's house in staten island because we're part of a family membership deal that they offer. i visit my parents often enough that i can squat at least once a week. it'd be nice to squat whenever i want instead of scheduling it around visits back home though. i also can't do things like your squat-everyday-for-a-week routine unless i wanna do my squatting on a smith machine

other things that sorta bother me is that the gym doesnt have an incline, decline, or seated military press. there are suitable substitutes (e.g. those adjustable angle benches so i can do incline/military dumbbell press and a dip bar to replace decline press), but i typically prefer incline/decline/military barbell presses.

i also kinda miss hammer strength machines. every once in a while, i'll catch myself dialing in an effort in the middle of my work out and, if i do, i "punish" myself by doing a couple sets on hammer strength machines to supplement my weak workout. i no longer have that option

lastly, the dumbbells go up to 85 lbs, which is heavy enough for most things i do with dumbbells, but i wouldve liked to have them go up to 100 lbs.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-26-2013 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361888337
Mike Larry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:47 AM   #2005
DylloS

Quote:
the big thing i'm missing is a squat rack. however, i'm still a member of my gym near my parent's house in staten island because we're part of a family membership deal that they offer. i visit my parents often enough that i can squat at least once a week. it'd be nice to squat whenever i want instead of scheduling it around visits back home though. i also can't do things like your squat-everyday-for-a-week routine unless i wanna do my squatting on a smith machine

other things that sorta bother me is that the gym doesnt have an incline, decline, or seated military press. there are suitable substitutes (e.g. those adjustable angle benches so i can do incline/military dumbbell press and a dip bar to replace decline press), but i typically prefer incline/decline/military barbell presses.

i also kinda miss hammer strength machines. every once in a while, i'll catch myself dialing in an effort in the middle of my work out and, if i do, i "punish" myself by doing a couple sets on hammer strength machines to supplement my weak workout. i no longer have that option

lastly, the dumbbells go up to 85 lbs, which is heavy enough for most things i do with dumbbells, but i wouldve liked to have them go up to 100 lbs.
yea that kind of sucks man. You'll get used to it though. I would be pretty pissed about the squat rack though. But you can clean a relatively heavy barbell up to a front squat position and do those right?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #2006
Mike Larry

Quote:
yea that kind of sucks man. You'll get used to it though. I would be pretty pissed about the squat rack though. But you can clean a relatively heavy barbell up to a front squat position and do those right?
yes i can do that. the trouble is that i'm still not so awesome at the front squat, so i can only front squat enough weight to practice my form, and not enough to get a true leg workout. there's also enough other stuff in my apt's gym that i could put together a decent leg workout, just minus back squats.

like i said though, i go back home to my real gym often enough that it's not a big hindrance. it's just mildly annoying is all.

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-26-2013 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361891633
Old 02-26-2013, 10:34 AM   #2007
DylloS

Quote:
yes i can do that. the trouble is that i'm still not so awesome at the front squat, so i can only front squat enough weight to practice my form, and not enough to get a true leg workout. there's also enough other stuff in my apt's gym that i could put together a decent leg workout, just minus back squats.

like i said though, i go back home to my real gym often enough that it's not a big hindrance. it's just mildly annoying is all.
why not? I don't get it. Rack the weight and go down. You should be good to go.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #2008
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
Quote:
There are a few more components to a strong front squat than "rack the weight and go down".
M3Inline6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #2009
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
There are a few more components to a strong front squat than "rack the weight and go down".
true lol

Rack the weight, elbows up, feet shoulder width or a little wider, toes slightly out, keep weight on the heels, keep core tight, Sit the weight down, push up.

Here's my workout from yesterday

Barbell Incline Bench Press:
45 lb x 20 reps (+48 pts)
95 lb x 10 reps (+60 pts)
135 lb x 10 reps (+79 pts)
155 lb x 10 reps (+91 pts)

Barbell Bench Press:
225 lb x 1 reps (+66 pts)
135 lb x 10 reps (+77 pts)
hit a Pr with 225x1. The rest of the sets were negatives

Dumbbell Flyes:
30 lb x 12 reps (+19 pts)
15 lb x 15 reps (+18 pts)
15 lb x 15 reps (+18 pts)

Push-Up:
10 reps (+15 pts)
10 reps (+15 pts)
10 reps (+15 pts)
10 reps (+15 pts)
10 reps (+15 pts)
All done chest to floor

Chin-Up:
8 reps (+60 pts)
6 reps (+49 pts)
6 reps (+49 pts)
4 reps (+36 pts)

Barbell Curl:
65 lb x 10 reps (+18 pts)
45 lb x 20 reps (+17 pts)
45 lb x 20 reps (+17 pts)
Old 02-26-2013, 10:42 AM   #2010
Mike Larry

Quote:
i feel unsteady and my weight tends to shift forward, towards the balls of my feet. i can back squat around 200 lbs, but i can only front squat about 100 right now

i guess on the bright side, this might be a good opportunity for me to master the front squat

Last edited by Mike Larry; 02-26-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Auto-save 1361893377
Old 02-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #2011
DylloS

Quote:
i feel unsteady and my weight tends to shift forward, towards the balls of my feet. i can back squat around 200 lbs, but i can only front squat about 100 right now

i guess on the bright side, this might be a good opportunity for me to master the front squat
do it man. Just stay on the heels and do something like this with light weight
Go down and pause and sit on the heels. What kind of shoes are you squatting in?
Old 02-26-2013, 10:55 AM   #2012
Mike Larry

^vibrams
Old 02-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #2013
DylloS

Quote:
^vibrams
good. I want some lifting shoes so bad but I have other sh1t to worry about buying. Like oil, cable, mortgage lol
Old 02-26-2013, 11:11 AM   #2014
Mike Larry

would they make a big difference? i'm very happy with my vibrams; they've become my official shoe for pretty much all things fitness
Old 02-26-2013, 11:17 AM   #2015
DylloS

Quote:
would they make a big difference? i'm very happy with my vibrams; they've become my official shoe for pretty much all things fitness
Not really sure. I guess they are a lot more stable than the vibrams.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #2016
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
As someone who has both Vibrams and true lifting shoes, I say stick with the Vibrams unless you intend on truly chasing numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:27 AM   #2017
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwass325 View Post
As someone who has both Vibrams and true lifting shoes, I say stick with the Vibrams unless you intend on truly chasing numbers.
The problem I see when I squat with my vibrams sometimes is that I tend to role on the side of my foot. I don't know if that's a mobility, forum, or shoe issue.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:06 AM   #2018
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
The new balance minimus' that I bought have the best of both worlds... Vibram sole with stability in the heel for lifting.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #2019
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
These
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1361977617.266366.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	492888  
Old 02-27-2013, 10:09 AM   #2020
DylloS