E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #221
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
i agree to an extent. i was a beginner when i started powercleaning. but we also did a lot more lower back strengthening lifts, and i had a great coach. everyone gets hurt, its inevitable. one time last year i literally had to walk hunched over almost 90 degrees for a good 2 1/2 hours. went to the doctor and got it rubbed out and i was fine a couple days later.


like i was saying, we did a lot of goodmorning, trx hinge rows, ect to strengthen our backs. if you are worried about hurting your back, id reccommend doing front squats instead of back squats
haha. Soon I will switch it up to a program where I front squat. Pretty much as soon as I stall out and stop making gains in weigh. Right now I'm moving pretty steady.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:49 PM   #222
DME46
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: NJ high school girls' bathrooms.
Posts: 255
My Ride: has free candy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
haha.
__________________

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:31 PM   #223
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
... whatever works
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 10:09 AM   #224
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Last nights workout

Workout B

Barbell Squat:
1 lb x 20 reps
45 lb x 10 reps
95 lb x 5 reps
115 lb x 5 reps
135 lb x 5 reps
160 lb x 5 reps
160 lb x 5 reps
160 lb x 5 reps
Getting very heavy for my frail little legs lol. 15lbs per week is adding up very quickly.

Standing Barbell Shoulder Press:
45 lb x 20 reps
65 lb x 5 reps
75 lb x 5 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
85 lb x 5 reps
Still pretty easy. Still progressing 2.5lbs per workout

Power Clean:
95 lb x 5 reps
125 lb x 5 reps
125 lb x 5 reps
125 lb x 5 reps
125 lb x 5 reps
125 lb x 5 reps
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:55 AM   #225
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
youre probably tiring yourself out with all of those "warmup" reps dude. once you get into heavier weight it will definitely pose a problem. i usually just to my regular bar warmup and jump right into it. or just do a decent amount of weight for a set of 8 just make sure your legs are loose and warm. or whatever youre working out. id be more careful with your upper body than lower.
__________________

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 11-17-2011 at 11:58 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:02 PM   #226
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
youre probably tiring yourself out with all of those "warmup" reps dude. once you get into heavier weight it will definitely pose a problem. i usually just to my regular bar warmup and jump right into it. or just do a decent amount of weight for a set of 8 just make sure your legs are loose and warm. or whatever youre working out. id be more careful with your upper body than lower.
Not at all dude. The program is geared around a very good warmup. IMO people never warm up enough. I guess I can try to cut it down a bit but I'm not sure It will make a difference. I'll try friday and see. And what do you mean about more careful with upper body than lower body?

Last edited by DylloS; 11-17-2011 at 12:09 PM.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:37 PM   #227
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Not at all dude. The program is geared around a very good warmup. IMO people never warm up enough. I guess I can try to cut it down a bit but I'm not sure It will make a difference. I'll try friday and see. And what do you mean about more careful with upper body than lower body?
Easier to hurt your upper body than your lower. All you really have to worry about is your form of squats for knees...upper body you have so many more things you need to worry about that can get hurt.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #228
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Easier to hurt your upper body than your lower. All you really have to worry about is your form of squats for knees...upper body you have so many more things you need to worry about that can get hurt.
I understand that I just don't know why he said it.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:03 PM   #229
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
if youre going to do all those warm ups its really just not necessary for lower body as it may be for upper. since you do push press and stuff.

but when i do front squats, i can barely walk afterwords. you just waste too much enegry in your body. essentially youre doing 60 squats. i do maybe 16 in a training session
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #230
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
if youre going to do all those warm ups its really just not necessary for lower body as it may be for upper. since you do push press and stuff.

but when i do front squats, i can barely walk afterwords. you just waste too much enegry in your body. essentially youre doing 60 squats. i do maybe 16 in a training session
I don't know. That's what the program calls for so I'll stick to it pretty closely.
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:51 PM   #231
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
if youre going to do all those warm ups its really just not necessary for lower body as it may be for upper. since you do push press and stuff.

but when i do front squats, i can barely walk afterwords. you just waste too much enegry in your body. essentially youre doing 60 squats. i do maybe 16 in a training session
Just doing body squats is still moving 180+ of weight alone.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:02 PM   #232
dwass325
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Peoples Republic of Chicago
Posts: 405
My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Just doing body squats is still moving 180+ of weight alone.
Not really.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:37 PM   #233
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
if youre going to do all those warm ups its really just not necessary for lower body as it may be for upper. since you do push press and stuff.

but when i do front squats, i can barely walk afterwords. you just waste too much enegry in your body. essentially youre doing 60 squats. i do maybe 16 in a training session
Different training styles and different goals. Neither is right and neither is wrong. You're an intermediate lifter so at the weight you're pushing there's no way you can do the number of reps he can as a beginner. Same concept applies in that his linear progression wouldn't continue very long if he only did 16 reps in a day.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #234
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I don't know. That's what the program calls for so I'll stick to it pretty closely.
Good idea. It's a well written and successful program. If you start changing it you won't necessarily get the benefits that it is instead to provide. Stick with it til you stall reset and keep going as long as you can. You only get to enjoy the linear gains that come from a novice program once. Worry about more complex programming later, but for now just worry about putting more weight on the bar every time.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:44 PM   #235
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Just doing body squats is still moving 180+ of weight alone.
Havent you hurt you back and knee on separate occassions recently from lifting and you're only 20?

It doesn't sound like you necessarily have everything perfectly dialed in when it comes to form and warmups....
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 03:59 PM   #236
BreakMyWallet
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: So Cal
Posts: 9,215
My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
I don't know. That's what the program calls for so I'll stick to it pretty closely.
all good

i figured your program had you do that anyway, just a lot of energy wasted IMO. keep it goin!
__________________
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:17 PM   #237
BMW_Matt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,066
My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Havent you hurt you back and knee on separate occassions recently from lifting and you're only 20?

It doesn't sound like you necessarily have everything perfectly dialed in when it comes to form and warmups....
I do proper warmup

Edit all I was saying was that I can't imagine how bad he's gonna hurt the next day. That's a lot of warmup sets in addition to working sets. Just like someone said earlier, I'm at like 30 reps max for squats. But It's a matter of personal opinion I guess.

Last edited by BMW_Matt; 11-17-2011 at 04:29 PM.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #238
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
all good

i figured your program had you do that anyway, just a lot of energy wasted IMO. keep it goin!
Thanks man. I rest however long I need in between sets so I feel very refreshed by the time I'm ready for my next set. If I'm not mistaken the program says to warm up with weights heavy enough to loosen you up but not too heavy where it will affect your working sets
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #239
DylloS
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: NY
Posts: 672
My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
I do proper warmup

Edit all I was saying was that I can't imagine how bad he's gonna hurt the next day. That's a lot of warmup sets in addition to working sets. Just like someone said earlier, I'm at like 30 reps max for squats. But It's a matter of personal opinion I guess.
My legs never really feel sore the next day unless I flex them. The only parts of my body that are a little sore the next day are my chest, traps/upper back and a little bit of lover back all depending on which workout it follows. It's almost not even noticeable unless I think about it. I'm also shocked at how much a regular standing press works your upper back and traps. I'll be adding chin ups and dips as assistance work soon as well. I'm loving this workout so far I'm just concern about stalling before I would like. In a perfect world I'd like my lifts to be around these numbers after a few more months:

Squat 225
Press 125
Bench 175
Deadlift 285
Clean 175

I know many of those aren't much but to me it would be a good feeling to hit those.

What do you guys think? Doable?
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #240
Glight
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 96
My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
My legs never really feel sore the next day unless I flex them. The only parts of my body that are a little sore the next day are my chest, traps/upper back and a little bit of lover back all depending on which workout it follows. It's almost not even noticeable unless I think about it. I'm also shocked at how much a regular standing press works your upper back and traps. I'll be adding chin ups and dips as assistance work soon as well. I'm loving this workout so far I'm just concern about stalling before I would like. In a perfect world I'd like my lifts to be around these numbers after a few more months:

Squat 225
Press 125
Bench 175
Deadlift 285
Clean 175

I know many of those aren't much but to me it would be a good feeling to hit those.

What do you guys think? Doable?
Easily especially. If you reset once.

Sent from my HP Touchpad using Bimmer
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use