E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 PM   #81
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
doing more of a reverse curl. might be because the weight it too light though
Old 10-17-2011, 03:55 PM   #82
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
doing more of a reverse curl. might be because the weight it too light though
care to offer some help instead of telling me what I know lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:35 PM   #83
DylloS

Workout A
Squat 95
Bench 80
Deadlift 115

Did a few power cleans with 115 just to practice. I might do a few more when my roommate comes home so he can film it.
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #84
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
you need to pump up with dante my man

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:53 PM   #85
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
you need to pump up with dante my man
Haha you ever power clean?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:38 PM   #86
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Here's the videos.

I still need a lot of practice. I move too slow I think and I don't shoot my elbows under fast enough or bring the bar high enough. I need to get my wrists more flexible too.

Constructive critism would be great. Please don't make fun of me haha. btw the music choice was my gf's. I can't listen to my screaming stuff with her around haha.
]
To make it easier stop doing it from the floor since it creates way to many errors for beginners. You want to take a top down approach that way you can learn proper bar path. There's a lot you need to fix in your videos.

Your starting position is off, the bar is to far forward over your feet, you're too relaxed in the bottom position, you legs are too wide, you're not pulling the bar into you, you don't know how to receive the bar, you' need to finishing the third pull which is why you jump forward, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. This is why I like teach olympic lifts from the top down because there is a lot less to go wrong.

Get a broomstick and have your g/f hold that vertically 3 inches away from the bar when it's just hanging. Try and do a hang power clean it without hitting the bar and you'll feel a difference.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #87
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
To make it easier stop doing it from the floor since it creates way to many errors for beginners. You want to take a top down approach that way you can learn proper bar path. There's a lot you need to fix in your videos.

Your starting position is off, the bar is to far forward over your feet, you're too relaxed in the bottom position, you legs are too wide, you're not pulling the bar into you, you don't know how to receive the bar, you' need to finishing the third pull which is why you jump forward, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. This is why I like teach olympic lifts from the top down because there is a lot less to go wrong.

Get a broomstick and have your g/f hold that vertically 3 inches away from the bar when it's just hanging. Try and do a hang power clean it without hitting the bar and you'll feel a difference.
Damnit this lift is tough for me.

here's two videos I took before your post. I definitely see what you mean about receiving the bar, being too relaxed on the initial lift, and feet too far apart.

I'll keep practicing. I need to get this sh1t down. I've seen a ton of instructional videos but do you recommend any specific ones?

1st. Sorry that it's sideways. I rotated it but youtube it taking it's sweet time updating it.

2nd

Last edited by DylloS; 10-17-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:14 PM   #88
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Getting better, I concur with the above advice...Do hang cleans for now, and don't forget that you want the bar to basically follow a vertical path up.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:16 PM   #89
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
Getting better, I concur with the above advice...Do hang cleans for now, and don't forget that you want the bar to basically follow a vertical path up.
yeah I'm watching more videos on youtube now. I feel like I need to dedicate a few hours to these before I'm really good at it. The program says not to do them every day but I need the practice badly. I wonder if I'm subconsciously scared of busting my chin with the bar lol.
Old 10-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #90
DME46

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Haha you ever power clean?
just started getting back into power lifts... never power lifted before... started at 25lb plates, added 10's ... now i'm repping 135lb power cleans.

i have tendonitis in my forearms... worse in my left. hurts like a mother fvcker the second i unload weight when i barbell curl and a few other exercises. i'm afraid to clean and worsen the problem... gonna wear my gloves with wrist wraps and try to wrap my forearm and power clean this week.

I usually start with a deadlift, bring it back down, power clean, then over head press with 135lbs... do that about 5x5. thats one of my off day work outs

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM   #91
BreakMyWallet

you basically need more pull dude. that will come with keeping it close to your body. its the motion of the big pull and hips thrusting through that is holding you back. look at your video, you see how your body basically stays behind that invisible plane between you and the bar? youre trying to focus too much on keeping the bar close to your body, pulling your hips through more will naturally bring you and the bar together.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:19 AM   #92
DylloS

Quote:
you basically need more pull dude. that will come with keeping it close to your body. its the motion of the big pull and hips thrusting through that is holding you back. look at your video, you see how your body basically stays behind that invisible plane between you and the bar? youre trying to focus too much on keeping the bar close to your body, pulling your hips through more will naturally bring you and the bar together.

thanks man. I definitely see what you mean. When I watch my videos I have hardly any shrugging up. I'm going to practice some hang cleans when I get home today. I'll do it a little lighter with just 95 and see if I can get this form down. I need to correct my issues before they turn into bad habits. I can't explain how frustrating this is to me. I have to fix this. I know what I have to do now so I just have to do it. I have a mirror directly in front of me too which will help too.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #93
BreakMyWallet

start with jump shrugs dude. go from a hang clean position and just keep doing big shrugs, try to literally jump to the cealing. dont clean it, just shrug.

thT WILL GET YOU MORE USE TO THE PULL AND HIPS
Old 10-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #94
BreakMyWallet

football guys from my school. pause the video on the pull and then youll get an idea of how much you need. thats the only way youll be able to get some big weight on there.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #95
DylloS

Quote:
start with jump shrugs dude. go from a hang clean position and just keep doing big shrugs, try to literally jump to the cealing. dont clean it, just shrug.

thT WILL GET YOU MORE USE TO THE PULL AND HIPS
any suggestion for the weight I should use? After I do that I really just need to learn to jump under the bar and catch it.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #96
BreakMyWallet

trust me man, when you have weight essentially "falling down" on you, you find a way to catch it. you know? form will just come with practice.

as far as weigth for the shrugs i dont want to throw it off your regimen you have going on. i jump shrug a ton. you should be able to. i do 300+ on those alone, so its up to you. it looks like youre cleaning about 115ish right now? shrug 150-170. if you dont drop your weights. try to jump as high as you can.

make sure you watch the video and pause it when he is at the climax of his pull. thats where you should be.

Last edited by BreakMyWallet; 10-18-2011 at 11:42 AM.
BreakMyWallet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 12:00 PM   #97
DylloS

Quote:
trust me man, when you have weight essentially "falling down" on you, you find a way to catch it. you know? form will just come with practice.

as far as weigth for the shrugs i dont want to throw it off your regimen you have going on. i jump shrug a ton. you should be able to. i do 300+ on those alone, so its up to you. it looks like youre cleaning about 115ish right now? shrug 150-170. if you dont drop your weights. try to jump as high as you can.

make sure you watch the video and pause it when he is at the climax of his pull. thats where you should be.
yeah the program i'm doing has small increments of weight each workout so i'm at about 115 now. I'll take more videos later. I plan on practicing for at least an hour tonight. I'll be bugging my roommate every few minutes for him to video tape it lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #98
DylloS

more videooosss.

I'm finally learning how to rack the weight a little better (hurts my wrists a little) but that will go away. I fixed where my feet were and widened my grip a bit. I did notice I'm pulling with my arms though and I need to be more explosive.

Also keep in mind this was after about 40 minutes of just practicing so my hands were killing me.

My friend works out to the gayest music. I really appreciate all the help you guys are offering too. This is some the most difficult thing I've had to learn in years lol

Last edited by DylloS; 10-18-2011 at 08:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:28 PM   #99
DME46

solly, i'm coming over friday

and i'm bringing music because w-t-f-b-r-e-h

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
Old 10-18-2011, 09:49 PM   #100
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
so im thinking about trying to incorporate this into my workout. i split my back, chest, shoulder, and legs into different days. is there a best day to incorporate this into? for a short time i used to clean+press on shoulder days, but i stopped that a looong time ago