E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #101
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
You prob dont want to do cleans on an upper body day unless you start your workout with them. I really do cleans almost every workout but I dont have back or chest or arm days.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:06 PM   #102
DME46

My Ride: has free candy.
i do cleans on my leg days

embrace this moment
remember
we are eternal
all this pain is an illusion
DME46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:15 PM   #103
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
I'd keep cleans on their own day...whether power or hang.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #104
BreakMyWallet

No reason to ^ its not like anyone should be doing more than 15 cleans. In any one day. Counter productive. Should be able to do cleans everyday, just start your workout with them
Old 10-19-2011, 01:26 AM   #105
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by DME46 View Post
solly, i'm coming over friday

and i'm bringing music because w-t-f-b-r-e-h
Haha you maniac
DylloS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #106
BreakMyWallet

couple quick things. the weight is just way too light dude. youre going to hit yourself in the face. literally.

dont pause at the bottom. touch your knees and just go. otherwise its a whole different workout. trust me, pause hang cleans are a lot harder than regular ones. and your hands are too far apart. the width is fine for now, but once you get into bigger weight it will get harder. its a lot to take in, but honestly you need much more weight on there, thats probably why youre afraid to just drop it on your shoulders. its fine youre throwing weight around like that, but you can probably throw on another 20 lb's and be fine. it shouldnt feel light. its basically a workout where you put your whole body into.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 AM   #107
BreakMyWallet

ill make a video in the morning if you want. i have a bar in my backyard and some 45's. but ill show you what i mean by dropping the weight and shiet like that,.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #108
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
couple quick things. the weight is just way too light dude. youre going to hit yourself in the face. literally.

dont pause at the bottom. touch your knees and just go. otherwise its a whole different workout. trust me, pause hang cleans are a lot harder than regular ones. and your hands are too far apart. the width is fine for now, but once you get into bigger weight it will get harder. its a lot to take in, but honestly you need much more weight on there, thats probably why youre afraid to just drop it on your shoulders. its fine youre throwing weight around like that, but you can probably throw on another 20 lb's and be fine. it shouldnt feel light. its basically a workout where you put your whole body into.
The thing is, without my arms farther apart my forearms would make the bar hit me in the face. If my elbows are up and my hands are closer together my hands are touching my ears. I'll try again this week sometime. btw my shoulders and collar bones are sore as hell today.

Quote:
ill make a video in the morning if you want. i have a bar in my backyard and some 45's. but ill show you what i mean by dropping the weight and shiet like that,.
yeah that would be great. I do need to add more weight and just go for it. Worse case scenario is I just dump it on the floor. Is it normal to take this long to get the form down? I feel like I should be better by now.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-19-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:14 AM   #109
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
No reason to ^ its not like anyone should be doing more than 15 cleans. In any one day. Counter productive. Should be able to do cleans everyday, just start your workout with them
For you, it's different, but for someone running a 5 day split, it would not make sense to do them everyday.... a
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #110
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
For you, it's different, but for someone running a 5 day split, it would not make sense to do them everyday.... a
very true. Full body workouts would be great to do them often but I'm not quite sure where you'd add them in if you stuck to a split.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #111
fugarza

My Ride: 330i, R6
Normally I agree with most of your training but your suggestions here for learning the PC are a bit off.

His hand placement is pretty good. The pause at the bottom isn't a big deal because he's learning and will teach proper bar path since he's using a lot less momentum to get that bar up. Adding more weight before you even know how to do a lift properly is asking to create bad habits. It's up at his chin because he's doing a reverse curl so that shows you that they need to learn to receive the bar properly and not add more weight.

Solly - You need to work on getting rid of that reverse curl. Try scarecrow cleans or having someone stand really close to you when you do a the lift.

Quote:

Old 10-19-2011, 11:06 AM   #112
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugarza View Post
Normally I agree with most of your training but your suggestions here for learning the PC are a bit off.

His hand placement is pretty good. The pause at the bottom isn't a big deal because he's learning and will teach proper bar path since he's using a lot less momentum to get that bar up. Adding more weight before you even know how to do a lift properly is asking to create bad habits. It's up at his chin because he's doing a reverse curl so that shows you that they need to learn to receive the bar properly and not add more weight.

Solly - You need to work on getting rid of that reverse curl. Try scarecrow cleans or having someone stand really close to you when you do a the lift.
Do you think that's because the bar is too far from my body. I did see a video on the scarecrow cleans. That's basically where you learn to do just receive it right?

Last edited by DylloS; 10-19-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 AM   #113
fugarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Is it normal to take this long to get the form down? I feel like I should be better by now.
It can take weeks-months to get your form down right. A good coach or someone with a keen eye is great in aiding the learning curve.

Check out Glenn Pendlay over at Cal Strength for some good videos.

http://californiastrength.com/videos...ting-technique
Old 10-19-2011, 11:17 AM   #114
DylloS

Quote:
It can take weeks-months to get your form down right. A good coach or someone with a keen eye is great in aiding the learning curve.

Check out Glenn Pendlay over at Cal Strength for some good videos.

http://californiastrength.com/videos...ting-technique
thanks man. It's just so frustrating because it looks so simple. I just searched your older thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...611&highlight= about the meet where you posted some videos. The form looks so effortless. It looks like you shoot your elbows under so easy and just catch the bar so simply.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:18 AM   #115
fugarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
Do you think that's because the bar is too far from my body. I did see a video on the scarecrow cleans. That's basically where you learn to do just receive it right?
Right, the bar is way to far out and you're using your arms to curl the bar into the receiving position. If you notice in the very beginning of the pull your using your arms when the correct order is would be something like this:

slam your heels to the ground
squeeze your butt
shrug
high elbows
elbows whip around the bar
receive

You need to learn to whip your elbows under the bar once it gets to chest level. The scarecrow clean is a great transition drill that teaches fast elbows.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:21 AM   #116
DylloS

Quote:
Right, the bar is way to far out and you're using your arms to curl the bar into the receiving position. If you notice in the very beginning of the pull your using your arms when the correct order is would be something like this:

slam your heels to the ground
squeeze your butt
shrug
high elbows
elbows whip around the bar
receive

You need to learn to whip your elbows under the bar once it gets to chest level. The scarecrow clean is a great transition drill that teaches fast elbows.
That's what I need. I look like I'm in slow motion lol. I'll practice the scarecrows tomorrow night and post more videos. I appreciate the help dude. Maybe I'll post my other lifts too. I think they're pretty good but I'm sure they can get better too.

one more thing. Does it affect the SS workout program if I have to squat down a bit when I receive the weight.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-19-2011 at 11:23 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:23 AM   #117
BreakMyWallet

his hands are definitely in the wrong position. especially if he doesnt want to wear down his ulner collateral ligament, which has been done before. as far as receiving the bar properly if the weight is too light hell literally just keep doing the same thing. i was taught to put more weight on the bar. its not a lot. its not an unbearable weight or even too heavy. hang cleans are probably the workout that im 100% the best at. just my opinion. ill go down and make a video right now. btw, pause hang cleans are a totally different workout. it takes the fast twitch out of the pull, making it a ton harder.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:25 AM   #118
DylloS

Quote:
his hands are definitely in the wrong position. especially if he doesnt want to wear down his ulner collateral ligament, which has been done before. as far as receiving the bar properly if the weight is too light hell literally just keep doing the same thing. i was taught to put more weight on the bar. its not a lot. its not an unbearable weight or even too heavy. hang cleans are probably the workout that im 100% the best at. just my opinion. ill go down and make a video right now. btw, pause hang cleans are a totally different workout. it takes the fast twitch out of the pull, making it a ton harder.
but with my hands closer my hands are back at my ears when my elbows are pointed up. Om Rippetoes videos he says wider grip is fine if your forearms are long. They say to use a slightly wider grip than deadlifts which is exactly what I do.

Last edited by DylloS; 10-19-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #119
fugarza

Quote:
his hands are definitely in the wrong position.
You're telling me then Kendrick Farris is doing cleans wrong as well? Each person is completely different in doing these lifts. You need to find what is comfortable for you and your body type. What works for one isn't going to work for all.

Old 10-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #120
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
i just tried them today and it hurt like a mofo. gonna try again tomorrow. ima learn this sh1t with you sollyd