E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM   #1721
DylloS

My Ride: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears View Post
Such a great view hey? I work finance in oil & gas manufacturing, need to get out of here into a cushy downtown finance job.

It is currently -15F here.
i wouldnt be able to take that temperature. What the hell do you people wear lol
DylloS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 01:05 PM   #1722
dabears

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DylloS View Post
i wouldnt be able to take that temperature. What the hell do you people wear lol
Honestly you just get used to it. I have a pea coat thats not incredibly thick or anything, and I wear a hoodie to beef it up a bit more, and put the hood up to avoid the wind chill, and leather gloves. I've just got a regular dress shirt and dress pants on, somedays when the wind is whipping I'll wear longjohns underneath.

Sun rises at around 9:00 am, sets around 4:00 pm lol very depressing.

Car starter business is very lucrative here
Old 12-13-2012, 02:45 PM   #1723
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: A sexy ass ///M4!
So I noticed something interesting last night.....

...I normally will front squat in an "ass to grass" fashion, but for a few sets last night I stopped just shy of ass hitting the grass, and I noticed that I kept more tension on my quads. When my ass is in the grass, there is a brief period where I don't feel any tension at all, and tension doesn't occur against until I'm driving the weight upward. With the just-shy-of-ass approach, tension is constant. Any opinions on the matter?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 02:54 PM   #1724
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post

...I normally will front squat in an "ass to grass" fashion, but for a few sets last night I stopped just shy of ass hitting the grass, and I noticed that I kept more tension on my quads. When my ass is in the grass, there is a brief period where I don't feel any tension at all, and tension doesn't occur against until I'm driving the weight upward. With the just-shy-of-ass approach, tension is constant. Any opinions on the matter?
From what I've read, that's exactly right. You don't need to go as low as most people say. Parallel or just below is just as good. I wish I could find the study that I found.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:01 PM   #1725
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:

Absolutely correct. The reason you are front squatting should guy your decision as to how deep to go. If you are front squatting to eventually support a very heavy clean, you are going to want to go as deep as possible since it will allow for a lower catch and for your to better take advantage of the "bounce" out of the bottom.

If you are just doing them for quad development and general strength, then parallel or just below parallel is fine.
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #1726
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glight View Post
Absolutely correct. The reason you are front squatting should guy your decision as to how deep to go. If you are front squatting to eventually support a very heavy clean, you are going to want to go as deep as possible since it will allow for a lower catch and for your to better take advantage of the "bounce" out of the bottom.

If you are just doing them for quad development and general strength, then parallel or just below parallel is fine.
my eyes light up every time I see you post. <3
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1727
M3Inline6

Quote:

Honestly, I'm working at attacking both heavy cleans and promoting quad development and strength. Maybe I'll do my heavy set(s).....ass to grass, and my moderate weight sets just shy of ass.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-13-2012 at 03:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:10 PM   #1728
M3Inline6

Quote:
I know what you mean. I get a warm feeling all over.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:11 PM   #1729
Glight

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
<3

Get those pants yet?
Glight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #1730
DylloS

Quote:
Honestly, I'm working at attacking both heavy cleans and promoting quad development and strength. Maybe I'll do my heavy set(s).....ass to grass, and my moderate weight sets just shy of ass.
Why not the opposite. If you want the quad development just go heavy and parallel. Whatever you're cleaning will probably be a good amount of what you're capable of doing ass to grass so maybe do the moderate weights that way. That's how I do my pause front squats. Just sit in the hole with light weights. Feels awesome.

I could be wrong here though so I'm open for discussion.

Quote:
<3

Get those pants yet?
I'll check the mail when I get home. The roommates and I tent to forget to check all the time and since you sent them Tuesday I haven't even considered checking.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #1731
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
It's raining here in SoCal.
So much for perfect weather 24/7
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #1732
M3Inline6

Quote:
Why not the opposite? If you want the quad development just go heavy and parallel. Whatever you're cleaning will probably be a good amount of what you're capable of doing ass to grass so maybe do the moderate weights that way. That's how I do my pause front squats. Just sit in the hole with light weights. Feels awesome.

I could be wrong here though so I'm open for discussion.
Because I'm on a strength chase, and I want to be able to sustain a heavy load in a squat clean, etc. My "moderate" weight - 225 lbs.+ - is still heavy enough to stimulate the quads for my 8-10 rep sets. I'm up to 275 lbs. (..two sets of 5 reps) on a front squat now, and chasing the almighty 315.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 12-13-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:37 PM   #1733
M3Inline6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
So much for perfect weather 24/7
Hey, rain is perfect depending on the occasion.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #1734
DylloS

Quote:
Because I'm on a strength chase, and I want to be able to sustain a heavy load in a squat clean, etc. My "moderate" weight - 225 lbs.+ - is still heavy enough to stimulate the quads for my 8-10 rep sets. I'm up to 275 lbs. (..two sets of 5 reps) on a front squat now, and chasing the almighty 315.
gotcha. I want to go workout now but I have to go to a xmas party then hang out with a girl. Ughhhhhh
Old 12-13-2012, 03:51 PM   #1735
M3Inline6

Quote:
gotcha. I want to go workout now but I have to go to a xmas party then hang out with a girl. Ughhhhhh
Ughhhh is right! LOL! Today is my off day. My only focus............is eating!
Old 12-14-2012, 12:31 AM   #1736
BreakMyWallet

My Ride: B6 A4/ Mini Cooper S
here you go solly. I would pause the video on parts you think youre struggling with, and see where my body is compared to yours. I usually have a hitch when i rock back just kind of for timing, but i bend pretty far forward and then explode my hips through. really want to focus the hip movement and pulling all the way up until you are on your toes.

pun intended with the song
Old 12-14-2012, 08:13 AM   #1737
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakMyWallet View Post
here you go solly. I would pause the video on parts you think youre struggling with, and see where my body is compared to yours. I usually have a hitch when i rock back just kind of for timing, but i bend pretty far forward and then explode my hips through. really want to focus the hip movement and pulling all the way up until you are on your toes.

pun intended with the song
Awesome man thanks for doing that. I wasn't sure if rocking that far forward was ok. I should def be able to put more weight up since I can get a lot more hip power that way.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:23 AM   #1738
DylloS

Need some advice guys. I was thinking of taking a few of these winter months and focusing on some weight and size gain and I'm not sure how to arrange my workouts.

right now this is pretty much what I do

Monday
Some kind of squats. Usually heavy front, then pause back squats or something
Shoulder Press
Weighted Chin ups

metcon involving both legs and shoulders usually under 10minutes and provide a good burn, has me pretty winded etc. Probably doesn't burn all that many calories though since it's so fast.

Tuesday
Power or hang cleans
Weighted dips

metcon involving cleans/kb swings etc

Wed off

Thursday
More squats
Bench
Weighted dips

Friday
Deadlifts
RDL's
Pull ups

short metcon

my main goal over the next few months is to get stronger and bigger. I like this current workout schedule and think it can be done but I think I may need to add in a little more isolation work. What do you guys think?
Old 12-17-2012, 09:58 AM   #1739
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Run.. Eeps

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:05 AM   #1740
DylloS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
Run.. Eeps
in the spring you bum lol.