E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Hermes

My Ride: cars older than you
HELP! - AL HID low beam doesnt wanna work

Just got finished yesterday baking my facelift headlights/putting everything back together and everything worked when I first tested them. Starting this morning, now my drivers side low beam doesn't wanna work. I thought maybe the bulb burned out (i dunno, its 6 years old) so I picked up one from the stealership. I pulled out the old bulb and replaced it, didn't change anything, light was still out. I took the original bulb (#9 in diagram) from the drivers side and the ignitor (#11) from the drivers side, switched them with the ones from the passenger side that were working and the issue was the same - drivers side doesn't work, passenger does. Put the new bulb back in its package since I know the bulb isn't the issue. Now I know its not the bulb or ignitor so my next thing to look at the wiring. Took out the wires from the drivers side headlight housing and blew the dust out with compressed air, put them back in and when I looked at the bulb it was lit. Turned off my car, waited a little while impressed at myself with having fixed it but now I gotta go return the new bulb. Was gonna drive back to the parts dept when I decided to test it one more time, it won't light up again. I then decided to test the ballast, swapped those and still same problem. I also cleaned the ground plate that's behind the turn signal.

It's only the driver's side HID that wont light up, the DRL, turn signal & adaptive motor all work. Ideas? Help please...

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 10-11-2011 at 04:01 AM.
Hermes is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2011, 09:18 AM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Question, did you bake the lights with the bulbs/ballasts still on the headlights?

and WHY did you buy a bulb at the dealership? You could have bought a pair off ebay Philips OEM bulbs for $80-90 USD
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
Hermes

no, didnt bake with them in the housing, i got it at the dealer just cause it was easy/fast and i wanted to see what was wrong, i would have bought new ones cheaper, i will be returning it. (also southpaw works there and his friend at the parts dept gave me like 20% off) i'm now thinking it might be a fuse

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 10-11-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:49 PM   #4
Hermes

newest update... ok its gotta be the wiring/plug that feeds the lamp. i plugged in the whole left lamp in passenger side / right lamp in drivers side and its still an issue only on the left. see pic

Respect Your Elders
Old 10-11-2011, 09:45 PM   #5
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
this symptom typically means that you have a bad ground for our cars. if you've installed anything recently to the car that deals with electrical wiring, i would check the ground on that. if not, possibly the ground on the low beam plug. the bad ground could be from anywhere on the car though lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Hermes

i know, damnit.... weird schieße is going on here... there is some life coming back but not really, still having issues...

Respect Your Elders
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 PM   #7
sillieidiot

i don't get it? they are both on now? so what's the problem? or are you just testing it by flicking the highs. cause i know both of them will turn on that way with the car off. then when you turn on the car, it goes back to one being out.

Old 10-12-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
Hermes

I tried for a while unsuccessfully to fix the light and this is what I came up with. if you plug everything in and turn it on like normal the light still won't work. then, if you unplug the DRL and HID wire from the passenger side, then plug just the DRL back in and wait a few seconds the driver's side will light up. you can then plug the passenger side HID back and they both stay on. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere in the system. used electronic contact cleaner on the ground behind the turn signal and the plug but that didnt solve it. until I can manage to figure it out i'll have a hilarious startup routine whenever its dark out.

Respect Your Elders
Old 10-12-2011, 01:31 AM   #9
sillieidiot

yea i'm pretty sure it's a bad ground. i remember doing that for awhile. took me like 3 days to find the damn ground lol it turned out to be the ground on the low beam wire. i would try adding another ground on the low beam connector and see if that helps. if it does, then that's your bad ground

Old 10-12-2011, 01:56 AM   #10
Hermes

i'm assuming the solid brown wire is the ground since thats the only color that went into the ground plate. how did you run it exactly?

Respect Your Elders
Old 10-12-2011, 02:08 AM   #11
Darth Maul

My Ride: 330CI
HELP! I'm having issues as well! I haven't tried that weird start up, where is the DRL and what do I disconnect or connect first?? PIX?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:15 AM   #12
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
i'm assuming the solid brown wire is the ground since thats the only color that went into the ground plate. how did you run it exactly?
yea the brown is ground. i just tapped another wire to it as close to the connector as possible. then find another ground on the car to use as a test.

Old 10-12-2011, 02:18 AM   #13
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Maul View Post
HELP! I'm having issues as well! I haven't tried that weird start up, where is the DRL and what do I disconnect or connect first?? PIX?
instead of doing what he's doing, do this:
1. make sure the car is off (key is not in the ignition)
2. activate "home lighting" by pulling the high beam stalk towards you.

if everything lights up, then you probably have a ground/short as well. if it doesn't, then there is something wrong with the headlight itself. either the bulbs/ballast/ignitor or a combination of them.

Old 10-12-2011, 03:27 AM   #14
Hermes

Quote:
if you really want to try this...

this is the driver's side after I took out my intake

on the far left is the wire for the turn signal

on the right are 4 plugs, one on top, three in a row on the bottom

The GREY one is the HID low beam.

The BLACK one right next to it is the DRL

lucky for me the issue is on the driver's side cause i can just barely squeeze my hand past the washer fluid container. If it was the opposite i would be SOL since my intake would be in the way. which side is yours messed up on?

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 10-12-2011 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #15
Darth Maul

My driver sides is messed up! I can't figure out what the hell is going on. I have tried everything, switching everything out and even bought a new ballast and still nothing. I'll try both of your methods....
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #16
Darth Maul

Hey Hermes, I tried that and it worked surprisingly. I guess I'm having a ground issue as well....

Sillieidiot, I tried the home lighting thing too, and it did come on, but as soon as I turned the car on it shut off and only the passanger side worked.

I'm thinking I must have got a short sometime after the GTR hood install, because that's when the problem happened.

Where exactly would I run a ground??
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 AM   #17
Hermes

to the ground plate, its behind the turn signal. you have to take the whole housing out.

also - Jake, you asked me a while ago which lights I had, I now know they are the Phillips ones... but the Osram one that the dealer gave me has a much cleaner looking white, not the slight blue grey mine do right now. I dunno, might get those if I ever decide to change bulbs.

Respect Your Elders

Last edited by Hermes; 10-12-2011 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 AM   #18
sillieidiot

Quote:
Hey Hermes, I tried that and it worked surprisingly. I guess I'm having a ground issue as well....

Sillieidiot, I tried the home lighting thing too, and it did come on, but as soon as I turned the car on it shut off and only the passanger side worked.

I'm thinking I must have got a short sometime after the GTR hood install, because that's when the problem happened.

Where exactly would I run a ground??
the home lighting thing was just to determine if your lights are working properly. since they turn on fine, then it's the wiring itself.

the hood install shouldn't have any effect on anything really. unless you some how cut some wire or something.

if you have a multimeter, i would use that to check for a good ground. if not, then i would tap the ground in various places and turn on the lights each time to see if it comes on. either way, it's going to take some time.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:35 AM   #19
sillieidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
to the ground plate, its behind the turn signal. you have to take the whole housing out.

also - Jake, you asked me a while ago which lights I had, I now know they are the Phillips ones... but the Osram one that the dealer gave me has a much cleaner looking white, not the slight blue grey mine do right now. I dunno, might get those if I ever decide to change bulbs.
well you don't really have to. just run it to any chassis point on the car (non-painted) and it should work fine as well.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:32 AM   #20
Darth Maul

Can you post a picture of what ground wire we need to splice and where I should ground it?