E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
Irvinefun

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i
Stalling and startup troubles

Hi folks, please help with my 2004 325i car stalling and starting troubles…

10/08/2011: Car stalled while idling at a traffic light. Wouldn't start even after open/close gas cap or jump starting. Started fine next morning after left there overnight. SES light was on now. Error codes P0335 / P0335pd / MIL ON / 0 INC / 8 READY / MISFIRE / FUEL / COMP / CATALYST / EVAP / SEC AIR / O2 SNSR / O2 HTR. Codes (and SES light) did not come back after erasing. Drove fine. Multiple times start stop fine. Next day while driving, battery symbol flickered, and then "Indicator lamp" and BRAKE light (red) came on, but drove fine. Once I stopped and started again, they went away. It drove and started OK. One of the forum response suggested it may be a dead battery. AutoZone guys checked and said battery and alternator both are fine, the battery is on low charge may be because of less driving (than parking). They also said overnight GPS left on (which I pretty much do every night) does not cause significant battery drain. Odometer 113K+

Right now it is working fine but I don’t want to be afraid of being stranded, so educate me please…

Here is some relevant history in chronological order:

6/24/2010: SES or CEL (can't remember) light came on. On Forum information recommendation, replaced Locking cap & Gas cap. Light went away. Odometer 92000 miles.

12/15/2010: car would not start in supermarket's parking lot, @99990 miles; Scanner error code P335; towed to local mechanic shop. He spent two days trying to find problem; replaced crankshaft position sensor; car still would not start; mechanic felt that it was faulty fuel injection pump, which was integral with gas tank, which only dealership would be able to replace.

12/17/2010: Towed car to dealership. There it started fine so they asked me to bring it back when there were any problems.

12/20/2010: Next day car would not start in home parking lot. Got it towed to Dealership.

12/21/2010: Based on diagnosis they said the problem could be either the EKP controller (quoted $850) or Fuel pump (free recall type deal, I don’t remember details). They would not do the free recall (costing around $7200 to BMW) unless it was proven that the other fault was not the one causing the problem. Quoted $850 for EKP but accepted $500 (inclusive of diagnosis). I picked up car working fine on 12/27/2010.

12/28/2010: Car would not start again in home parking lot; tried multiple times, let it sit for an hour, played with gas cap on/off; Was able to somehow start it again; drove it, stopped it and started back again; took it back to dealership. They replaced the gas tank. Picked up car 01/12/2011 working fine. No stalling or starting problems for next 10 months.

FYI, I use the 87 octane grade gas rather than the BMW recommended 91 octane. Somewhere I heard that either the grade or buying some specific kind of gas (Chevron or other) might affect this type of problem. True?
Irvinefun is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #2
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Try cleaning you MAF and as you said try some 93 or 94 octane gas in the car it will help it start easier. My car dosent even like a week old 94 octane gas let alone 89

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no start issue, stalling