E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
matabamatt

My Ride: 2003 325
Starter help

i need to replace my starter on my 2003 325 and i dont want to spend a grand to get it done at BMW. i read a diy online but do i need to go from the bottom of the car or can i just replace it going through the top?
any help will be good
matabamatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
From top and bottom, I believe. Personally, thats something I'd have a shop perform. Find a good indy and it will be a lot less than the grand you were quoted at BMW.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:38 PM   #3
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Most makers put the starter on the bottom right of the crank, but BMW puts it on the top left. At least part of the reason to do this is that the exhaust can go in the space that most other engines fill with the starter.

You should find a local shop that will do the starter for you. While it can be done at home, it is not an easy job -- especially when compared to most other inline-6s.
jdstrickland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:20 PM   #4
matabamatt

i have done the alternator radiator vcg icv and waterpump how much harder is the starter? i know the starter is all the way in the back by the firewall i would really like to know if i can just get to it from just the top?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
Mango
A full five stars, son

My Ride: M54B30
I believe the transmission needs to at least partially come out in which case I could name 74,000 parts you might as well replace while you're in there.

OVER A MILLION VIEWS
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
matabamatt

the transmission has to be removed?
Old 10-12-2011, 08:11 PM   #7
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
the easiest part to replace the starter is to remove your intake manifold. doing so will be extremely easy and will only take you less than 2 minutes to replace the starter but removing the intake manifold will take you several hours. however, you can replaced the starter without removing the intake manifold. it will just be harder. you don't need to remove your transmission. you just need to remove a single tranny bolt. the starter and tranny share one bolt.

if you don't want to remove your intake manifold then I recommend the following:

remove carbon filter and housing
remove intake system.
remove intake rubber boot
remove tranny support bracket (so the engine can raise a few inches higher in the engine bay thus making the removal of the tranny/starter bolt a little easy)

good luck!
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 08:13 PM   #8
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
here is my picture of my starter with the intake manifold removed. see how accessible the starter is if you remove the manifold?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...9&d=1311805974
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
matabamatt

damn thanks man going to be doing it sunday so need as much info as possible
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 AM   #10
Ophidian_PR1M3

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashtwosix View Post
here is my picture of my starter with the intake manifold removed. see how accessible the starter is if you remove the manifold?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/attachm...9&d=1311805974
I'm currently working on a starter swap and since you've been down this road, I gotta ask, what's the trick to getting the manifold off? It lifts up but it just wont come off! I can't see anything that might be holding it. Unless the throttle body is hiding something but the body should come off with the manifold shouldn't it?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me
Ophidian_PR1M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:47 AM   #11
manaman22

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ophidian_PR1M3 View Post
I'm currently working on a starter swap and since you've been down this road, I gotta ask, what's the trick to getting the manifold off? It lifts up but it just wont come off! I can't see anything that might be holding it. Unless the throttle body is hiding something but the body should come off with the manifold shouldn't it?

I would appreciate any advice you can give me
There is a nut on the bottom of the intake that secures it to the side of the block. You probably haven't removed it yet. That nut, the 9 nuts that secure it to the head, some vacuum lines, and the electrical harness are all that hold it in. Once you get that nut off, you should be fine.

Number 9 in this drawing

Oh, and I forgot the starter cable as well. The one that crosses over the engine goes through the intake to connect to the starter. That might be your hang up. Needless to say, you should disconnect the battery to do this.

Last edited by manaman22; 04-14-2012 at 01:55 AM.
manaman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
Ophidian_PR1M3

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325ci
Cool man thanks. I'm about to start working on it hopefully I find it and can get this done today. Sucks not being able to drive my Bimmer
Ophidian_PR1M3 is offline   Reply With Quote