E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #1
mikeson

My Ride: 99 323I
I think it is AC compressor but have to ask.

Hi guys,

I drove car and feel car is weaker and turned off my CD to hear if there some noise.
after a few miles, when I stop at light, RPM drop very lower and up, it is more like up and low and up,..kind of very unstable.
So I turn off my AC and car runs very normal.

After I park, I turn car again. as soon as I turn AC, car rpm drop with grounding noise, so I step gas little bit then Big noise come and car shut off itself.

I turn AC off and turn car again, car drive normal but as soon as I turn AC, car died.

So I need AC compressor, right?
Hum,..

Thank you guys.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
benzedid

My Ride: 2001 BMW E46 318i
Send a message via Skype™ to benzedid
looks more like a relay problem. try pulling codes before going for a new AC compressor.

benzedid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:29 PM   #3
mikeson

No code yet.
But I could hear mechanical grinding noise before car shut off itself.(when I turn on AC)
My belt is new and visually there is nothing wrong in engine room.

Where is the relay?

Anyway, thank you.
Old 10-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
mikeson

I did it again turned on to see how it goes.
It is like as soon as I turn on AC, something is holding AC compressor so that makes engine shut down. Bad. I won't do it again.

Anyway,... tried read code but no code.
Old 10-14-2011, 04:16 AM   #5
benzedid

ok. last thing before we assume that compressor is faulty. how u checked for the compressor gas? mine used to be a little faulty coz it was like only 45% full. check that first. if u get nothing after that, then here is an AC replacement DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=681935

Old 10-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
mikeson

Thank you so much.
Until yesterday AC was freezing and last night when I checked it again(wife turns and I watched the compressor), as soon as turned ac button, it stop spin, and it made engine shut down.

Yes, it is compressor. And I'll do it DIY and let you guys know after I replace it.
thank you again.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
mikeson

Update.

I replaced mine to used ac compressor. it just came compressor(just little clean oil came out from holes)

As other people said, I went to shop to drain my ac gas, then drive home to replace the compressor. It was not difficult. but you need a 6mm hex socket.
And I replace rubber seal ring(just 2 on compressor)
Although to change a drier was recommend, I didn't change it. Anyway, my car is old.

After I just replace the AC compressor, I went to shop and vacuum and refill the gas.
Now it is cold again. NICE. I drove about 60miles this weekends with AC on and no problem so far. It is cold AC again.

However, I just find out that I have to fill compressor oil into the compressor before I replace. which I didn't.

And now I'm little worry about it and don't know what to do.
Should I reopen and fill oil and change the drier or just drive one or 2 years.
Hum,...
Anyway, it has no noise, nor problem so far.

Last edited by mikeson; 10-17-2011 at 12:05 PM.
mikeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:12 PM   #8
benzedid

get that oil inside before it screws up ur compressor again! u reminded me of my AC compressor. i should check for the oil too.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:36 PM   #9
mikeson

Hum,

However, when I check my old compressor last night to see how much oil come out, there is not much oil came out.
I put upside down(hole is down) for 2 min. and just very little oil came out from the hole and mostly of oil kept inside.
I think unless you turn the compressor, oil is not come out. And assuming that one I just replaced has oil kept inside as well.

Let see how it goes. I'll just drive as is for while.

Anyway, thank you so much for advise.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
BMW-330CI

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
Hum,

However, when I check my old compressor last night to see how much oil come out, there is not much oil came out.
I put upside down(hole is down) for 2 min. and just very little oil came out from the hole and mostly of oil kept inside.
I think unless you turn the compressor, oil is not come out. And assuming that one I just replaced has oil kept inside as well.

Let see how it goes. I'll just drive as is for while.

Anyway, thank you so much for advise.
WTF... you ask for help you get help. so instead of taking the help to keep you from having to do the same thing or deal with the same problem or even worse, you go ahead and drive with it not being seviced right. its not a cheap civic, its a bmw, even if its old, proper maintance and work will keep it running great for a long period of time. dont cheap out or be lazy, do it right. take some time to do it right to save you headaches later on or even more money.
BMW-330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:09 PM   #11
mikeson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-330CI View Post
WTF... you ask for help you get help. so instead of taking the help to keep you from having to do the same thing or deal with the same problem or even worse, you go ahead and drive with it not being seviced right. its not a cheap civic, its a bmw, .....

From my research,
http://www.amp.su/files/denso/A_C_Co..._2009_2010.pdf

THis is what I find. and posting if someone need it as reference.
A (new Compressor) - comes 4.22 fl Oz oil,
B (remaining in old Compressor) - 1.76 fl Oz oil,
Oil amount to remove from new Compressor - 2.46 fl Oz oil,

So used one comes with 1.76 and if I lost some, still amount of lose is very little. And also when I recharge a R-134A gas, it refill with oil as well.

And if it last one or 2 years, I'll be happy.
Old 10-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #12
BMW-330CI

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5 spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
From my research,
http://www.amp.su/files/denso/A_C_Co..._2009_2010.pdf

THis is what I find. and posting if someone need it as reference.
A (new Compressor) - comes 4.22 fl Oz oil,
B (remaining in old Compressor) - 1.76 fl Oz oil,
Oil amount to remove from new Compressor - 2.46 fl Oz oil,

So used one comes with 1.76 and if I lost some, still amount of lose is very little. And also when I recharge a R-134A gas, it refill with oil as well.

And if it last one or 2 years, I'll be happy.
why would let it go out after 1-2 years? just do it and that way it will last way longer than that. i didnt read the diy so if its alot of work i can understand the delay but if not take a day just to do it anyway.
BMW-330CI is offline   Reply With Quote