E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
GreaseJunkie

My Ride: 325xi
Re-manufactured XI Rear Calipers?

Does ANYONE sell the CORRECT calipers for my '02 325xi? Seriously, PepBoys, Auto Zone and Advance Auto all sold me some BS calipers that were too small.

I can go OE, but BMW doesn't sell reman calipers, so $350 each doesn't sit so well.

I hear Cardone is the way to go. Does anyone have any experience here?

Thks
GreaseJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:15 PM   #2
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
rebuild it.
$20 rebuild kit per caliper.
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #3
gitchies

My Ride: 05 325xi
Napa? i bought some for my x5 in the summer.....
gitchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
GreaseJunkie

I guess I could have rebuilt, but figured I'd "do it right" and already turned in the cores. This is an '02 with about 21k miles, so to say it sat is an understatement. The calipers were literally bleeding brake fluid. The discs were almost rotted through.

Thanks for Napa - I always forget about them. More like an 'old guy's' auto store IMO. Those guys are always douches that work there, around here at least.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #5
gitchies

yeah most auto parts stores are.....atleast here in Canada napa was decently stocked.....i think i paid 265 for a caliper for my x5, bought them when doing my brakes, just in case...ended up returning them....but i thought i'd keep them in mind, carried oem brake sensors there too....
Old 10-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
check outGermanAutoParts http://www.germanautoparts.com/BMW/2.../5507/54010591

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square

Last edited by wdeerfield; 10-14-2011 at 01:19 PM.
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 01:24 PM   #7
GreaseJunkie

Thanks for that. It looks like they know what they are doing.
Old 10-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Same caliper as 323i, 325i, 328i, etc . . .

http://realoem.com/bmw/partxref.do?p...8135&showus=on
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 05:58 PM   #9
JDUTHIE

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Make sure there ATE, (ahh-tey) and not the dueognongs or whatever they are are cheap rebuilds and not treated so they will rust within a coupe thousand miles...just like mine did
JDUTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:13 PM   #10
gitchies

yeah stick to re man ones, so the core goes back...when i got them at napa, they all had bmw stampings on them...hence why they wanted my old ones....
Old 10-14-2011, 11:19 PM   #11
GreaseJunkie

gitchies, I did that the 1st time around (of 3) and they did have the BMW stamp, but they were still too small. I think these manufacturers just have it wrong. Right part for A BMW, but not the '02 325i(s, x, whatever). I read a blog post here and someone else was having the same issue. My calipers were still too small with used pads on. Hopefully these Cardone's will work tomorrow. I really hate doing a job more than once. Once is fun, twice is a annoying and a third time is punishment.
Old 10-16-2011, 11:10 PM   #12
GreaseJunkie

FYI for any '02 E46 325xi owners that need rear brake calipers: I just received these from rockauto and they fit perfectly: A-1 CARDONE (192640) & A-1 CARDONE (192641) (they may fit other years/models, I just know they fit mine). AutoZone's Duralast DID NOT FIT and Pep Boy's ProStop DID NOT FIT - they were both too narrow to hold the brake pads and mount to the bracket. FYFI: I tried to tell BOTH stores that these absolutely were not the correct parts and they didn't give a sh^t.

I hope this helps some people. It took me 3 tries to get it right. Credit is due to a post on bimmerforums to look for Cardone and RockAuto.

Last edited by GreaseJunkie; 10-16-2011 at 11:11 PM. Reason: add details
Old 10-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #13
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
FYI, could also have purchased new calipers from sources such as Bavarian Auto Sport and turned old ones in at a scrap metal deliver for some cash (though steel doesn't bring much right now, at least they would have been recycled). Have no idea what you paid for re-man/re-built calipers, but I would have gone for new if not rebuilding them yourself. Both re-man/re-built and new have warranties, probably new has a longer period of time and new is less prone to leaking if the bore wasn't honed out cleanly, or the piston was forced in and cut the seal. The parts are available to rebuild, you need a drill and disc brake caliper hone and brake fluid for the stones. All marks must be honed out, the entire bore cleaned well. The seal installed and lube put around it before piston is pushed in. While re-building, new guide pins and seals/gaskets should be installed and lubricated correctly. The time to do a complete re-build, plus all the parts makes buying new ones not all that much more expensive, plus you have more peace of mind that you will not have a brake issue. I used to re-build them, now when I have a bad caliper, it is not quicker to replace it with a new one (and generally if I need to replace one on an axle, I replace them both so that there is even pressure).
Installing either re-man/re-built or new, once the brake line is attached, you can open the bleeder screw and start bleeding the air from it as you attach the pads and attach the assembly to the carrier. Close the bleeder before setting the pads. Once pads are set, you are ready for final bleeding, starting with the caliper furtherest from the master cylinder and working to the closest (right rear, left rear, right front, left front), making sure the master cylinder is full of fluid. Bleeding can be done the old fashion way with 2 people or with a brake bleeder, both will give you the same results. Finish by topping off the fluid level in the master cylinder.
Another hint; with any newer car that has ABS brakes, when removing the caliper to replace pads and/or caliper, either open the bleed screw or remove brake line before pushing piston back in so as not to push contaminated brake fluid back towards the ABS Control Module. A small piece of dirt, which is often found in a brake caliper, can be forced back to the ABS Module and clog it rendering it inoperative. This dirt can be greatly limited by yearly flushing of the entire brake system and new fluid put in (I recommend using ATE Super Blue, and it happens to be available in 2 colors so it is easy to tell when all the old is out and the new completely in).
Just my 2 cents worth.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:34 PM   #14
A3ferthee

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
Just tripped across this thread and figgered I'd drop my 1cent; I had to replace my front caliper and bought a Centric reman (great website BTW, lotsa good info) which has worked well so far after 8k miles, no leaks and good feel. I think I got it from Rockauto or ******************. I would get either of these brands again if I need another caliper...which I'm sure I will after a few more cold, wet, salty, slushy winters. They also offer rear calipers too.
A3ferthee is offline   Reply With Quote