E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #1
everchini

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
The dreaded milkshake.

So Iíve had this issue before, a little over a month ago, I was driving the coolant light came on and the temp gauge went into the red. I pulled over and there was brown coolant everywhere in my engine compartment. The coolant expansion tank cracked (mechanic told me) he replaced the expansion tank along with all of the hoses.

Drove it for a month without any problems, until last week when i started the car saw the coolant light come on, shut it off, checked it and noticed that the level was very low and that the dipstick showed there wasnít any oil either. With no signs of leaking under the car. I filled both with 50/50 coolant and 2 qts of oil. I drove about 10 minutes down the road to notice that the coolant was leaking over the coolant cap and formed a puddle on the ground. On the way back home, it started to overheat a little bit and smoke from the coolant cap.

I let it cool down, checked it this morning and the coolant level was back to being low and was very frothy as you can see by the pictures. The first picture shows what tank looked like before I filled it when I noticed it was low and the three other pictures are what it currently looks like.

I bought the car last May from a Mini Cooper dealership with no warranty, I have a loan on the car and if itís a head gasket iím not sure what my options are unless I trade it in as is and roll it over into a new loan. This is my second BMW, Iím lost please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	421013   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	421014   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	421015   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	118
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	421016  

everchini is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Is there any coolant in your oil and how long did you drive it in the red?
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
edsmax

My Ride: 01 330i
Send a message via AIM to edsmax
It looks like your head gasket went - take it to a mechanic.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #4
everchini

I'm not sure, how can I know for sure? I'll check right now. And it was no more than 1 min. but I pulled over and turned the car off instead of letting it cool off, I was told that turning it off right away could cause the block to warp.
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
Yuck

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:54 PM   #6
everchini

I am going to replace the head gasket, has anyone attempted it before?
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
everchini

Yeah, yuck indeed, sweet wheels man
Old 10-15-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
edsmax

My Ride: 01 330i
Send a message via AIM to edsmax
Quote:
Originally Posted by everchini View Post
I'm not sure, how can I know for sure? I'll check right now. And it was no more than 1 min. but I pulled over and turned the car off instead of letting it cool off, I was told that turning it off right away could cause the block to warp.
Nah, you are reading too much into it. You did the right thing by turning off the car right away. Unfortunately, these aluminum engine parts warp very easy so even if it was "no more than a minute" in the red, thats all it can take. Some people are lucky and some are not.

My advice - drain the oil and look at it. If coolant is in the oil, then you will know for sure.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:16 PM   #9
darksideracer69

My Ride: 01 325ci
If you have the right tools, and are mechanically inclined. It shouldn't be to bad.

But if I remember there was this thread about a guy not having his car for a month cause he kept running into problems.

The right tools are very important.

And thank you

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Bimmer

IMAG02051
darksideracer69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 PM   #10
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
How good are your skills?

What's the largest job you've DIY'ed before?
This is tough and I've never seen a DIY for it before. Search for one anyway; it may exist, but it would have to be long. Got a good set of tools?
Bentley does have instructions for this. I'd read this section to get an idea if you'd want to tackle the job.
Just a logical disassembley and put back together after checking/replacing/milling the head. Except for the camshaft timing which supposedly requires special tools and skills. Got a chain going on there.

I believe this is clearly an example of the warping of the head when overheating that so many refer to when urging a proactive replacement of cooling systems. You did nothing wrong in that the overheating can take place so quickly that no indication is given to the driver until it is too late and the expensive damage is done. Engine temperature gauges do not respond quickly enough.

Please report back to us here as to what makes you decide to do what you ultimately do? I'd really appreciate knowing how you handle this, with details.

Quote:
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:33 PM   #11
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Quote:
As long as its not your only car, i say do it! It does take a while the first time though dont rush it. I did gaskets on my dads old Range range rover (that he loves too much to get rid of) few months ago, very rewarding feeling to diy. Just make sure you get the right tools and do it right. Dont cut corners. Probably the hardest part is removing/reinstalling the exhaust manifolds. And careful not to strip/cross thread any of the bolts, its an aluminum block.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
MarkyNels

My Ride: 2013 S4
Quote:
As long as its not your only car, i say do it!
Exactly..

It's going to be off the road for a while, and the HG seems to be your issue.. It's not a big deal to do, as you can do it within a day if you're mechanically inclined .. The only things i can warn you about now are head and block decking. It is possible that your head is warped. The actual integrity of the HG could be fine, but due to reaching such high temps due to a cracked coolant res could have caused the head to warp, thus being your issue, not your HG per se. So you will need to get the head decked. I'm sure you have a machine shop that specializes in engine rebuilds that can do this. General price runs to about 100-150$ depending on how many passes the need to run (ie. how out of clearance it is). Then you'll need a HG which will vary in thickness due to the material removed. IF there was only a couple thou, i would just run a stock HG thickness. Generally you don't need to be concerned with this though, and the machine shop will guide you in the right direction.

As for the block - typically this is fine. To make sure, you need to clean HG remnants from the block mating point and run a straight edge along it while checking tolerance with a feeler gauge. This will tell you if there are any low spots or dips in your block. This can be caused by pitting - stagnant pools of coolant collecting over periods of time due to a warped head or faulty HG. Like i said, check it, but don't be too concerned about this because it's rare the block will need to be machined..

These are things you need to be aware of, as most people assume they just need to change the HG and throw everything back together..

If you can take it apart, you can put it back together. Another word of caution - read THOROUGHLY into timing and cam positions. This may save you a few valves and a rebuild in the future.

Best of luck
MarkyNels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
Vic328CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyNels View Post
These are things you need to be aware of, as most people assume they just need to change the HG and throw everything back together..

If you can take it apart, you can put it back together. Another word of caution - read THOROUGHLY into timing and cam positions. This may save you a few valves and a rebuild in the future.

Best of luck

+1

Cylinder head machining, pressure testing is a MUST. Otherwise all the effort doing a head gasket is wasted when it blows again 2000miles later.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Old 10-15-2011, 06:08 PM   #14
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Pressure testing what?

I understand the block and head flat checking.
But what are you pressure checking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic328CSi View Post
+1

Cylinder head machining, pressure testing is a MUST. Otherwise all the effort doing a head gasket is wasted when it blows again 2000miles later.
Stinger9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
shata

My Ride: 00 328i , 06 330i
Damn im sorry, Thats gona be expensive. Ive had cooling system problems also this past 2 weeks. It held out all summer and now its like FU!

/// 2000 BMW 328I ///
shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #16
shata

My Ride: 00 328i , 06 330i
Looking at a flush...A good one - I personally say disassemble the cooling system and clean it all out or flush it drive it for 50-100 miles and flush it again. Then the head gasket if you don't have it done yourself well im sure your looking at 2k repair most likely maybe 1k if your lucky.

And I feel you on your problems, Mine is on loan also and this car has cost me about 4k since ive owned it. And now another 1k for my cooling system overhaul thats being done next weekend at shop.

/// 2000 BMW 328I ///

Last edited by shata; 10-15-2011 at 06:16 PM.
shata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Vic328CSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinger9 View Post
I understand the block and head flat checking.
But what are you pressure checking?
They pressure test the cylinder heads to check for cracks/valve seal. Its alumnium, it can crap out especially if its overheated.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC

Last edited by Vic328CSi; 10-15-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #18
everchini

Thank you everyone for the posts, my cousin has replaced a lot of head gaskets but this will be his first BMW, he's researched all the tools that we need to finish it, even if we do run into problems I'll take it to a shop, or just flush the absolute **** out of it and trade it in, and rollover my loan
Old 10-15-2011, 08:03 PM   #19
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
I would STRONGLY advise to take it to a reputable BMW technician, not one of those retards that work on any car , but one that works only with BMWs.

Head gasket replacement is a BIG job even for me and I've done it as well as more complicated things. You need tools and not only that , you need patience and a little bit of skill.

If its your headgasket , then I'll help you as much as I can , but you MUST be 100% sure thats its the headgasket before you start. Do a compression test just to be double sure.

Here is a link, start reading now. I'll pull out a few more when I get back.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/tech...ead-Gasket.htm

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725

Last edited by Blocked Out; 10-15-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 08:09 PM   #20
everchini

I would strongly love to afford a BMW Technician, well with these signs what else could it be? There's oil and coolant mixing somehow, what are the other possibilities?

Tags
coolant, head gasket, milkshake, oil, overheat