E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-15-2011, 03:02 PM   #1
cmpcpro

My Ride: 2000 Mercedes S430
Sold my BMW.. Hope to be back soon though!

Hi all, I wanted to say goodbye. I have gone ahead and sold my 2000 323i. It was a good car for me in many ways. Thanks to it I will never own anything other than German. I've driven them countless times before, but after owning one it all changes. I can't drive anything that isn't solid anymore.

I spent thousands of dollars on this car in the short year I had it, but most of that was my fault. I spent it trying to fix that damn clunk in the rear. I have to say that was a big part in selling it. I just couldn't figure it out, nobody knew what it was, everyone had a different opinion, in the end I took everyone's opinion and replaced everything but the transmission. So it is clearly in there somewhere.

What lead me up to selling the car was this: A few weeks ago I was at a light and I got rearended. She hit me so hard she sent me sliding through the intersection. As soon as I got over the shock my first thought was well my car is totalled. My trunk is going to be in my backseat. I look down and my AC controls have rocketed out of the dash..

I notice the car is still running, so I try to drive it over to the side, and it goes, and suprisingly I don't hear anything weird, I figure it's a good sign. I step out of the car and the first thing I see is the car that hit me. Her hood is buckled, her bumper smashed beyone recognition and steam coming out of her car.. Her car was only a lowly Huyndai, and I am sure it was totalled. I will include a picture of it.. I start walking to the back of my car and I look down and I want to faint...

My car is sitting there without a SINGLE dent anywhere. All of the lines line up, the paint didn't even come off.. there are white scuff marks along the bumper and two indents where her license plate screws hit.. the whole thing could be buffed out and you'd never notice. My first thought was, what just happened? Did I imagine this? I was really proud of this vehicle at that point. I couldn't stop smiling.

Her husband came and we looked all under the car and everything looked fine, the car seemed to operate just fine, and they could barely speak English, so I felt bad and told them to go. I got in my car and drove off and all was fine. Two blocks later my car starts stuttering and driving funny.. I get home and the car wont even idle anymore, but if I fight through it and keep going it clears out and runs fine, but low RPMs it goes to hell again.. Anyway long story short, nobody can figure this out either, it goes to two mechanics, the only code is misfire on cyl 4. We replace the plug and it idles fine and drives fine half the time and half the time it stutters like before.. we replace the coil with coil pack three and almost everything goes away and it starts running normal but again comes back but much less pronounced.. at that point I was going crazy, it seemed like nobody could figure this damn car out.. and with that and the thump I decided to part with it..

It had been a great car, and I hated to see it go, but it had 200k miles on it, and who knows what was going next..

Anyway I ended up buying a Mercedes S430 with Airmatic suspension, and let me tell you, I have never driven anything so smooth before in my life. I used to like the old 560SEL's but this puts that to shame. It also puts out almost 300hp and comes standard with a 5spd automatic..

I feel bad leaving the BMW group behind, I think I will always love BMW the most, and hope to be able to buy another newer model soon.. Until then I wish you all the best! These are great cars I just wish they would have figured out that clunk a little better.. there are countless posts on this very site going years back with the same problem and not a signle conclusion..!

PS: I just realized I posted this on the WRONG forum lol! I meant it for this site and I posted on bimmerforums..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rearended.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	421019  
cmpcpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
I would have never let them just go. you are too nice my friend.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:30 PM   #3
Lusticles

My Ride: 325Ci
Hopefully you got their information before you let them just go.