E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
MarkyNels

My Ride: 2013 S4
Nice work! Details though
MarkyNels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 02:04 AM   #22
Eliott's-BMW

My Ride: E46 3-Pedal Mafia
Needs, BIG Brakes !

at dmax

"May GOD grant you DOUBLE the amount you wish upon me!"
Eliott's-BMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 05:57 AM   #23
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
I like keeping things real, you know guys! I am impressed that Impressive did it, as I said; but in my mind, it's taking the M that was there before and knocking it down a few notches is all.

It's got AWD now, but lost its throttle steering. I've heard of the Audi Quattro and driven them too...too stable for my tastes. I understand there might be a few days where having AWD would make a difference getting to work on a snowy day, but the rest of the time, that car has lost its raison d'etre!

If I owned a shop and someone wanted to do this, I think I'd tell them to take their money, buy 100 lbs. of sand for the trunk, and attend a winter driving school! That said, if the owner was in a place that gets a lot of snow and little plowing, then I'd understand the sacrifice he made.

Finally, my objection to this is relatively mild. I'd object far more if someone wanted to put the wrong oil in their motor!

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:44 AM   #24
naeem002000

My Ride: E46 99 328i
The Trany will be fried by the M3 engine just a matter of time , happened to me when i transferd an auto from a 320i to my 328i . but if its a manual , i realy dont know
naeem002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:01 AM   #25
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGeiss View Post
Doug I hear what you're saying, in some sense I agree. If BMW were to have made this car in AWD I probably wouldn't like it, because ///m's are supposed to be rwd sports cars, not awd rally cars.
Oh.....

You mean like an X6M?

BMW has already seriously diluted the ///M brand itself.

This project is cool enough but without further details its hard to tell if it's just an S54 swap or more serious than that.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #26
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo31 View Post
Oh.....

You mean like an X6M?

BMW has already seriously diluted the ///M brand itself.

This project is cool enough but without further details its hard to tell if it's just an S54 swap or more serious than that.
Good point. Although I like the x6 and x5 m's they are anti motorsport tradition.

Either way I like this swap

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:54 AM   #27
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I like keeping things real, you know guys! I am impressed that Impressive did it, as I said; but in my mind, it's taking the M that was there before and knocking it down a few notches is all.

It's got AWD now, but lost its throttle steering. I've heard of the Audi Quattro and driven them too...too stable for my tastes. I understand there might be a few days where having AWD would make a difference getting to work on a snowy day, but the rest of the time, that car has lost its raison d'etre!

If I owned a shop and someone wanted to do this, I think I'd tell them to take their money, buy 100 lbs. of sand for the trunk, and attend a winter driving school! That said, if the owner was in a place that gets a lot of snow and little plowing, then I'd understand the sacrifice he made.

Finally, my objection to this is relatively mild. I'd object far more if someone wanted to put the wrong oil in their motor!
I don't think that this was done in mind for winter driving. It was done for the sake of being done. Honestly I would like to see a stage 4 HPF installed on that beast and see how quick the quarter mile would be. With the AWD traction would be less of an issue.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 08:50 PM   #28
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander271 View Post
I don't think that this was done in mind for winter driving. It was done for the sake of being done. Honestly I would like to see a stage 4 HPF installed on that beast and see how quick the quarter mile would be. With the AWD traction would be less of an issue.
I'm not sure I'd understand why the owner of an M would want AWD. I'm sure the shop tried to talk the owner out of degrading his car (in my mind), but I understand also that the 'customer is always right.'

Still, I'm not getting it at all, unless you're right, Zander, that it was just an experiment for the sake of being done, a novelty. Still seems like a waste of what, I'm sure, was a perfectly good M.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
Old 10-16-2011, 08:54 PM   #29
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
+1! Moar details!!

awesome car though. A ton of work must have been put in. Now get an hpf kit

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:00 PM   #30
pilot_alex

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330CI
Send a message via MSN to pilot_alex Send a message via Skype™ to pilot_alex
HPF kit in this = awsome

= THIS
Old 10-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #31
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_alex View Post
HPF kit in this = awsome

= THIS
for some reason the saab looked way too slow in that clip
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #32
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
some people here are confused

this isnt an m car with awd, its a e46 XI with an m3 motor. you can tell by the xi height.

this was not a wise choice the owner made, i much rather SC the 3liter which will make more power and throw the rest of the g's in my pocket
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM   #33
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
I remembered that car there in the back parked under the 8 series when they did my VCG last April.

John good work. I'm impressed.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 10-16-2011 at 09:33 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:48 PM   #34
Viktimize

My Ride: 2002 325i,2003 330ci
Quote:
I'm not sure I'd understand why the owner of an M would want AWD. I'm sure the shop tried to talk the owner out of degrading his car (in my mind), but I understand also that the 'customer is always right.'

Still, I'm not getting it at all, unless you're right, Zander, that it was just an experiment for the sake of being done, a novelty. Still seems like a waste of what, I'm sure, was a perfectly good M.
What is so hard to comprehend?? Not everyone buys a car to drift it. Some people want a more planted ride when taking corners at speed. Nice comment on the Audi comparison........... "Too stable"?? I understand that there's more fun factor to driving a RWD, but people own vehicles for different reasons. The fact that someone doesn't understand that borders on retardation.

I already have an xi just as a DD. If the engine ever crapped the bed and I had to spend a small fortune just replace a stock engine, I'd certainly consider an M3 engine swap for a small fortune more. The extra power would be nice to have.

Wake up man, there is more to the world than what exists in your mind.
Viktimize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:07 PM   #35
dmax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktimize View Post
What is so hard to comprehend?? Not everyone buys a car to drift it. Some people want a more planted ride when taking corners at speed. Nice comment on the Audi comparison........... "Too stable"?? I understand that there's more fun factor to driving a RWD, but people own vehicles for different reasons. The fact that someone doesn't understand that borders on retardation.

I already have an xi just as a DD. If the engine ever crapped the bed and I had to spend a small fortune just replace a stock engine, I'd certainly consider an M3 engine swap for a small fortune more. The extra power would be nice to have.

Wake up man, there is more to the world than what exists in your mind.
First, I 'was' of the impression it was an M that had Xi added to it...that's different than putting an M engine in an Xi...quite a bit different. (I think the title is misleading).

And I'm not planning on waking up, as I'm quite certain that there isn't any part of the world that doesn't exist in my mind, as long as I'm sleeping, anyway.

Oh, and just fyi, just across that border from retardation is normal. Right now, I'm sitting on the fence. It's really uncomfortable, so I'll commit to jumping to one side or the other pretty soon!

A recent set

Old 10-16-2011, 10:11 PM   #36
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post

this isnt an m car with awd, its a e46 XI with an m3 motor. you can tell by the xi height.
that's what gave it away to you? the 4 door thingy didn't help

Old 10-16-2011, 10:13 PM   #37
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
First, I 'was' of the impression it was an M that had Xi added to it...that's different than putting an M engine in an Xi...quite a bit different.
Oh Doug, read my previous post. The SEDAN part in the title is misleading isn't it.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:22 PM   #38
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46alfonso View Post

this was not a wise choice the owner made, i much rather SC the 3liter which will make more power and throw the rest of the g's in my pocket
Unless the M54B30 took a crap and had to be replaced anyways, I have to agree that a S/C would've been cheaper, more practical, and more powerful.

That does make the dangerous assumption that the owner is done at this stage, and will not pursue further performance modifications on the S54, which is by far a more solid base for power gains.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:50 PM   #39
Geo31
Ironman

My Ride: 00 328i, 98 M Roadie
Doug.... Give it up. It's a cool project. Because they can is a good enough reason for a cool project (especially because they can correctly). Snow has nothing to do with it. AWD is a huge traction and handling advantage. In motorsports AWD cars are given a horrible weight disadvantage because of their inherent traction advantage.

If it's simply an S54 swap, cool, but so what? It's been done. OK, this is AWD, and that's cool, but hard to get excited if other M3 upgrades have not been done. Love to know more details.

Swim: 2.4 Miles
Bike: 112 Miles
Run: 26.2 Miles
Brag: For the rest of your life

Geo31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #40
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
Has nobody heard they've internally confirmed a BMW M5x (or so the rumors are saying)? An AWD M5 from the factory? Possibly next year, so brace yourselves diehard RWD ///M fans. This won't be the last ///M powered AWD sedan.
http://www.autoweek.com/article/2011...NEWS/110509951
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/05/03/a...-in-the-cards/
Aside from the wheels, this is such a sleeper! Incredible job! I love a subtle rocket ship.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
/m3, awd, iac, impressive