E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > ///M3 Forum

///M3 Forum
The BMW E46 ///M3 is the M version E46 and puts out an amazing 333 HP and 262 lb-ft of torque at stock specs! There are an amazing amount of modifications for both the coupe and convertible models so read up and get started modifying your cars today!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
spitvenom

My Ride: lot's O M3's
Just bought a 2002 M3 PLEASE help me with a few questions??

Ok guys I am confused about a few things

1. I want the upgraded later LED tail lights, what would have to be done to install OEM ones? also someone said they are pressure sensitive meaning the harder you press the pedal the brighter?? Is there aftermarket ones that just bolt on and looks the same and work?

2. I want a CSL trunk, some look like the fin doesnt come up enough or shape is off, whats a good one I can get, does NOT have to be CF just regular is ok

3. I plan to run 19x9.5 et35 and et20, what sizes tires can I run without rubbing inside, my fenders have been rolled pretty good.

4.If I buy a CSL front bumper from one of the places that have them, will it bolt up to my other M3 plastics and pieces etc? any other parts ill be missing?

5.What are good bang for your buck tires to go with?

Thank you so much for people that help me with this.

Ive searched on most of these things but some threads are older so maybe newer products are out? better info. thanks again
spitvenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-16-2011, 04:03 PM   #2
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
1.OEM from Tischer $515 shipped I just ordered a set, the aftermarket ones dont have any pressure sensing (im not certain the oem have that feature activated in NA market). Eagle eye leds are next best, depo brand has some issues. Non-oem ones tend to fail more often.

2. I think you'll find your only option is a CF trunk, Im not aware of any aftermarket non cf trunks, just get it painted to match body color.

Ill refer you to the search feature/other members for the other Q's

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 04:22 PM   #3
spitvenom

thank you anyone else?
what brand trunk?
Old 10-16-2011, 05:18 PM   #4
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
1. Adaptive LED tails works in conjunction with LCM and updated brake switch sensor. Depending what year production your car was, you might even need an updated LCM plus brake switch. There's only two level of brightness, which has to do with the outer leds being dimmed or as bright as the rest of the brake LEDs on hard braking. My tails are Eagle Eyes, and I have since mod it to do sequential turning when I was having problems with them.

2. I'd stay away from ones that require the trunk handle. Scorza and Vorstiner is about as close as you're going to get with fitment. I have VIS which fits great, but I've seen others with VIS that doesn't sit too well. Its a hit and miss with VIS.

3. Can't comment on this, since my fenders are not rolled or cut. But I'm dropped on KW2s with 9.5" wheels. The widest I've gone is 265 30 19. Haven't tried anything wider. You will have more clearances to work with than me.

4. What kind of reinforcement does your front bumper have; aluminum or kevlar? That's going to determine how you're going to go about fitting a CSL front bumper.

5. Whatever you can afford, but don't cheap out on 'em either. The rears don't usually that long.

6. Prior to the aforementioned mods, please take car of maintenance first. Rtabs, fcab, rear subframes, check vanos hubs and bolts. Replace fluids, belts and filters. These are the things you should focus on first. Enjoy the car stock for now, so that later on after you mod it, you can reflect on how it was stock.

intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 06:06 PM   #5
spitvenom

Thank you, Yes I have taken care of the maintenance already.

1. Ok so it really wouldnt be worth it for the 2 steps then. Are the eagle eyes identical in look to the oem ones?

4. My front bumper is just attached how it came from the factory and its all there.
Old 10-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitvenom View Post
1. I want the upgraded later LED tail lights, what would have to be done to install OEM ones? also someone said they are pressure sensitive meaning the harder you press the pedal the brighter?? Is there aftermarket ones that just bolt on and looks the same and work?
2. I want a CSL trunk, some look like the fin doesnt come up enough or shape is off, whats a good one I can get, does NOT have to be CF just regular is ok
3. I plan to run 19x9.5 et35 and et20, what sizes tires can I run without rubbing inside, my fenders have been rolled pretty good.
4.If I buy a CSL front bumper from one of the places that have them, will it bolt up to my other M3 plastics and pieces etc? any other parts ill be missing?
1)Yes oem LED tails do have the Adaptive Brake Force Display. Outmost led rings light under hardest braking like ABS active. This feature has not yet been able to work on cars not made this way. Although I have a jumper wire on mine and they light. You can buy oem LEDs and have the LCM coded for LEDs. I put OEM on my last two E46s. They look better than aftermaket. But aftermarket still look pretty good for most and don't need a reflash as they uses resistors.
2) Vorsteiner is probably the best other than OEM. This is what I have. It's an exactly duplicate of oem and even oem owners can't tell.
3) Darn, can't recall my oem CSL offset, but I run 285/30/19 rear
4) As mentioned, the kevlar inner bar is the key. I think later models need another bar but ours allow the bumper skin to bolt on. Double check though.
5) No suggestion. I will say my Michelin Pilot Sports are grippy, but don't last and are expensive.
Old 10-16-2011, 08:26 PM   #7
intelone

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Thank you, Yes I have taken care of the maintenance already.

1. Ok so it really wouldnt be worth it for the 2 steps then. Are the eagle eyes identical in look to the oem ones?

4. My front bumper is just attached how it came from the factory and its all there.
1. Go OEM, eagle eyes outer edges are darker compared to oems. The diffuser that covers the brake light portion are different too. The turn signals are snap LEDs which are much brighter than the superflux/lumiled kind that eagle eyes has. Just get your LCM coded and you'll be set. With the eagle eyes there's always problems with burnt leds, faulty resistors and inferior voltage regulators. Plus most vendors of eagle eyes and depos only warrant the LEDs for 1 yr, and then you're on your own. Unless you're electronically inclined like I am, I strongly urge you to stay away from eagle eyes.

4. Take a look behind the bumper from the engine bay and you can see if you have the aluminum carrier or kevlar one. M3s from your year came with two different bumper supports.
intelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
spitvenom

it looks like I have the kevlar tray that hooks up to the bumper. then behind that is an aluminum pan that has the hole for the oil change etc. so how would I mount the csl bumper and what pieces will sI be missing? thank you guy
Old 10-17-2011, 02:15 AM   #9
john9
Banned

My Ride: E46
Sound like you are off to a good start..!..Congrats...Good luck..
john9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Tires...I think the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are a great deal. I would have gotten them for my car when I needed to change them, but they were sold out and no one knew when they would get more in stock.

Heck, I just looked at Tirerack and the rears 235/40/19 are still backordered.
Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #11
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grendelsbane View Post
Tires...I think the Continental ExtremeContact DWS are a great deal. I would have gotten them for my car when I needed to change them, but they were sold out and no one knew when they would get more in stock.

Heck, I just looked at Tirerack and the rears 235/40/19 are still backordered.
Those sound like front sizes...

Not even mentioning the efficiencies of larger countries.

As divided as this country is, at least we are one.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
Grendelsbane

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Those sound like front sizes...
Doh! You are right...255/35/19 are the rears...and backordered.
Grendelsbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:17 PM   #13
ModBargains III
Sponsor

My Ride: E46
Quote:

Aftermarket versions are available that are less expensive and that function very well too. Eagle Eye taillights have been known on this forum to perform well.

CSL trunks are all slightly different, but the ones we have here have a great fitment and look great. In terms of shape or the difference in the "duck tail" as it's called, you wont be able to tell the difference unless you lined them up next to each other, trust me.

245/35/19 and 275/30-19 will be fine without rubbing on those offsets

Most of it, should bolt up just fine if I remember correctly. Someone will have to confirm this for me as well, but it should work fine with maybe some slight modification.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo tires right now have a $80 rebate which makes them the least expensive tires in the sizes I listed above. For that, these are great tires that are easily up there with Yokohama S. Drives and the tires that are associated with them. I have them on my car and they feel great for daily driving.

Thank you so much for people that help me with this.

Ive searched on most of these things but some threads are older so maybe newer products are out? better info. thanks again
I answered your questions in the bold above. Just below your questions in the quotes ^^^^.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Sales | Sales@ModBargains.com |(714) 582-3330
We Specialize In: BMW Brakes | BMW Suspension | BMW Parts | BMW Exhaust Experts | BMW Tail Lights |
BMW Wheels In Stock | BMW Intake Experts
Hours
: Mon - Fri 8:00am - 6:00pm / Saturday 8:00am - 5:00pm (PST)
Check out our Blog for updates & discounts!
ModBargains III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 06:38 PM   #14
d'ray18

My Ride: E90 335
Why would you not run wider wheels in the rear, at least 19x10s? and 275s should fit without fender work with those offsets.. congrats on the new ride!

2008 E90 335i
d'ray18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #15
Canadian///M

My Ride: 2002 BMW M3
im running oem csl rear rims on my m3 with 285/30/19 and a .75" drop and i have no problems with rubbing and as far as a good bang for your buck i would go for the hankook v12's like stated already its what im currently running and i found that they are the best for the price good luck with new car.
and actually there was a company here that sold the csl trunk in fibreglass i have one of those left fitment was good and looks good
Canadian///M is offline   Reply With Quote