E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 10:00 AM   #21
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
It only takes 70 milliamps to cause cardiac arrest. A small power drill uses about 30 times that much.

330i/Ci Bang for the Buck Horsepower Guide
Want 5% off any BimmerBrakes.com purchase? PM me for details!
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
liquiddawn

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
I got all excited this morning when I saw a bunch of replies to the thread until I opened it up and saw it had turned into a joke! LOL! Not too surprising and I am not new to oil, I just wanted to try something new without doing harm to my engine.

In all honesty, I am really not a fan of the Castrol Oil from the dealership. I've used it a few times and while I'm sure this does no real harm, often in the morning the engine ticks until the oil reaches the upper part of the engine(warms up a little)

It's a lot better when I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and unless I find a way to use Liqui-Moly, I guess I'll stick to Mobil 1.
liquiddawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 11:12 AM   #23
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by liquiddawn View Post
Ok guys, I have done quite a bit of searching on this forum and around the web and I cannot find a definitive answer to my question.

I need to change out my oil(I'll be doing it this coming weekend) and I would like to use Liqui-Moly oil. Can anyone tell me which one is recommended for our cars? I see a few using the 5w-40 but as far as I can see it is only BMW LL-98 approved. Looking for any advice!
Some of the Moly oils are approved and some are not, from our research all of the Lubro Moly oils found here are compatible with the motor found in your 330i. But I typically recommend BMWs High Performance Synthetic for oil changes on daily driven cars. We have easy ready made oil change kits available here for your car using the BMW oil.

ECS Tuning

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 12:17 PM   #24
kbsilver

My Ride: 2000 328i
I've had very good luck with the Dealer Branded Castrol. Least expensive option as well. Here is my proof.

2000 328i with 140K miles (was opened to do vanos seals). BMW branded oil every 8K miles since new. Nothing was cleaned for these pictures. Valve cover was pulled, pictures taken.

Last edited by kbsilver; 10-17-2011 at 12:19 PM.
kbsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingNuts View Post
My understanding is that the bush kangaroos refused to release the BMW oil for love or money. Why is that ?
Not enough roughage
Old 10-17-2011, 03:54 PM   #26
CoupeMagic323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
wow thats clean.......thought it should be goldish color?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post
I've had very good luck with the Dealer Branded Castrol. Least expensive option as well. Here is my proof.

2000 328i with 140K miles (was opened to do vanos seals). BMW branded oil every 8K miles since new. Nothing was cleaned for these pictures. Valve cover was pulled, pictures taken.

Old 10-17-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
daki_bmw

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post
It ain't the volts that get you, it's the amps. A 220v house line is typically 60 amps. That's enough to make a strong man cry. Although car batteries are 12v, their amps are very high, a hit from a car battery would hurt a lot. I'm always VERY careful when removing or replacing a car battery.
lol, you are so very very wrong. It is actually a combination of two (volts + ampers, meaning voltage + current that "kills"). Touch your spark plug (when it's throwing the spark), 25.000 Volts, and it won't kill you. It ain't pleasant, but you'll be very much alive. But very low current makes it non-deadly. Or, touch your soldering iron(not chisel type, but the other), amperage is very high, but the voltage is low, worst thing that can happen to you is to burn yourself if you're doing this test when the soldering iron is already hot. But, on the other hand, "enough" of both (amperage + volts) can be very deadly indeed. As for the "60 amps" thing, you are probably thinking frequency of the alternative current - 60Hz in US, 50Hz in Europe...but it has nothing to do with its "deadliness" - direct currrent (DC) can be as deadly as alternative current (AC) if two of them (amps + volts) get together.
Old 10-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #28
liquiddawn

So, looking at ECS tunings website I see a bunch of Liqui-Moly products and they say that they have been tested and will work for our engines. However, none of them actually say LL-01, they are all either LL-98 or LL-04. Well, I guess I am just sticking to Mobil 1 0w-40 then.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:19 PM   #29
andrewlcraft

My Ride: '03 325Ci, '04 X3
Here we go, if anyone still cares, Liqui-Moly LL-01:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...cument&land=DE
Good luck if you can find it over here...
Personally, for the price, I've gone from the Liqui-Moly (which was LL-04 ) to the OEM oil. Hard to go wrong with what BMW designed for the vehicle.

Last edited by andrewlcraft; 10-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.
andrewlcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #30
liquiddawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewlcraft View Post
Here we go, if anyone still cares, Liqui-Moly LL-01:
http://www.liqui-moly.de/liquimoly/p...cument&land=DE
Good luck if you can find it over here...
Personally, for the price, I've gone from the Liqui-Moly (which was LL-04 ) to the OEM oil. Hard to go wrong with what BMW designed for the vehicle.
I STILL CARE!!!! Thank you for the link, I've seen this but seriously NOBODY here sells it.

I give up, I'm either going back to the dealership and getting the oil there or using Mobil 1 0w-40.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM   #31
Jim Clark

My Ride: 2001 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by daki_bmw View Post
lol, you are so very very wrong. It is actually a combination of two (volts + ampers, meaning voltage + current that "kills"). Touch your spark plug (when it's throwing the spark), 25.000 Volts, and it won't kill you. It ain't pleasant, but you'll be very much alive. But very low current makes it non-deadly. Or, touch your soldering iron(not chisel type, but the other), amperage is very high, but the voltage is low, worst thing that can happen to you is to burn yourself if you're doing this test when the soldering iron is already hot. But, on the other hand, "enough" of both (amperage + volts) can be very deadly indeed. As for the "60 amps" thing, you are probably thinking frequency of the alternative current - 60Hz in US, 50Hz in Europe...but it has nothing to do with its "deadliness" - direct currrent (DC) can be as deadly as alternative current (AC) if two of them (amps + volts) get together.
Thank you for the clarification.

Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:05 PM   #32
liquiddawn

Just in case anybody even cares anymore. I ended up going with the Liqui-Moly 5w-30. It's a great oil. My car no longer has lifter tick upon cold start up in the mornings. Car is much quieter and engine is smoother. I did more research and found that this oil can definitely be used for our cars and is one of the best oils out there.

I'm not saying that everyone will have these results. Just saying I'm happy with the oil and will continue using it.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
sprintman

My Ride: Ex 325CI owner
Just use any LL01 oil, NOT LL04 a Low SAPS formulation for Europe, and all these oil threads will hopefully go away.
sprintman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #34
invictvs

My Ride: '04 330Ci (6 Speed)
Quote:
Just in case anybody even cares anymore. I ended up going with the Liqui-Moly 5w-30. It's a great oil. My car no longer has lifter tick upon cold start up in the mornings. Car is much quieter and engine is smoother. I did more research and found that this oil can definitely be used for our cars and is one of the best oils out there.

I'm not saying that everyone will have these results. Just saying I'm happy with the oil and will continue using it.
I'm due for my first oil change since buying my car and have been debating on the oil. After a lot of searching I had my heart set on GC 0w30, with m1 0w40 (noise issues?) as a back up. Then someone recommended to me Liqui-moly saying that countless bmw users swear by it and that it makes the car so smooth, etc. I've been hesitant since it's not LL01 and that is what we're supposed to use I thought. Then on top of that, my mechanic told me he would use Agip oil when he would do my oil change, which i've heard absolutely nothing about here (have you guys?).

GC costs $8.79/qt at AZ, and Liqui-Moly (5w30) costs about the same at NAPA. However, M1 is $6.50 at Walmart, and bmw oil is $5.75 if I mention the club discount. Do you think it's worth paying the extra (~$20) for GC or LM? or should I do the sensible thing and buy M1 or BMW? Or should I just let my mechanic, who knows infinitely more about cars than me, do his thing?
invictvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #35
liquiddawn

Honestly, it's all personal taste. I've tried the Castrol(both GC and the dealer stuff) and Mobil 1 0w-40 and I didn't like either of them. Again, just my personal taste.

People will keep telling you that you can't use LL-04 approved oils here in the US but the fact is you CAN, you just can't leave them in there for extended periods of time. You should change them out before 9,000 miles(who the heck leaves their oil in longer than that anyway?)

Mobil 1 has mixed reviews and many claim that it has problems in that it causes sludge build up(this isn't a oh my friend said this, so it must be true and 10 more people also said it) It's been stated by Mercedes techs in my local area that they have encountered this more often than not.

Personally, I will never use anything but Liqui-Moly in my car again. It even smells amazing(really sweet). It's not my imagination or me just hoping that it will change something. FOR A FACT, my engine is MUCH quieter(especially upon startup) and much smoother with this oil in there. Again, I will not use anything else but this oil.

Does this mean that this is the oil for you? Only if you want it to be. You should use whatever oil you feel comfortable with in your car.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #36
invictvs

Quote:
Honestly, it's all personal taste. I've tried the Castrol(both GC and the dealer stuff) and Mobil 1 0w-40 and I didn't like either of them. Again, just my personal taste.

People will keep telling you that you can't use LL-04 approved oils here in the US but the fact is you CAN, you just can't leave them in there for extended periods of time. You should change them out before 9,000 miles(who the heck leaves their oil in longer than that anyway?)

Mobil 1 has mixed reviews and many claim that it has problems in that it causes sludge build up(this isn't a oh my friend said this, so it must be true and 10 more people also said it) It's been stated by Mercedes techs in my local area that they have encountered this more often than not.

Personally, I will never use anything but Liqui-Moly in my car again. It even smells amazing(really sweet). It's not my imagination or me just hoping that it will change something. FOR A FACT, my engine is MUCH quieter(especially upon startup) and much smoother with this oil in there. Again, I will not use anything else but this oil.

Does this mean that this is the oil for you? Only if you want it to be. You should use whatever oil you feel comfortable with in your car.
What didn't you like about them exactly? And on the liqui-moly site it listed 5 oils as compatible, top tec 4200, top tec 4600, Leichtlauf, etc.; what's the difference btwn those? And have you heard anything about Agip? Thanks!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:44 PM   #37
liquiddawn

I didn't like the Castrol or Mobil 1 oils for exactly the same reason. They both made my engine tick upon cold start up in the mornings. The Castrol made it tick more than the Mobil 1 but Mobil 1 still didn't eliminate it, or, at least make it happen less frequently thank I would like. And yes, I know that these engines have a habit of doing that. So far though, the Liqui-Moly has not made my engine tick upon cold startup and the weather here in LA has gotten even colder in the mornings recently.

I'm sorry but I do not know the difference between all of the Liqui-Moly oils and I did check them all out. I ended up going with the 5w-30 Longtime hi-tech(blue bottle) for a few reasons. Many use it and it has worked really well. Plus a local indy mechanic here that E46Mango told me to go to(thanks E46Mango!!!) uses only Liqui-Moly oils and he uses the 5w-30. He has a ton of business(European only) and is highly recommended. These two were the deciding factor for me and at least for me, I'm in love with this oil.

Lastly, I have never heard of Agip so I cannot say how great it is or not. I'm sorry.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:18 PM   #38
invictvs

Quote:
I didn't like the Castrol or Mobil 1 oils for exactly the same reason. They both made my engine tick upon cold start up in the mornings. The Castrol made it tick more than the Mobil 1 but Mobil 1 still didn't eliminate it, or, at least make it happen less frequently thank I would like. And yes, I know that these engines have a habit of doing that. So far though, the Liqui-Moly has not made my engine tick upon cold startup and the weather here in LA has gotten even colder in the mornings recently.

I'm sorry but I do not know the difference between all of the Liqui-Moly oils and I did check them all out. I ended up going with the 5w-30 Longtime hi-tech(blue bottle) for a few reasons. Many use it and it has worked really well. Plus a local indy mechanic here that E46Mango told me to go to(thanks E46Mango!!!) uses only Liqui-Moly oils and he uses the 5w-30. He has a ton of business(European only) and is highly recommended. These two were the deciding factor for me and at least for me, I'm in love with this oil.

Lastly, I have never heard of Agip so I cannot say how great it is or not. I'm sorry.
I see. Thanks for the input. I think I might actually try this stuff. One other question though. I thought that LL01 oils were ones listed on the bmwusa site (m1, gc, etc.), but I found this list too http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311123. Does that mean more oils are approved for use in our cars than is listed on BMW's website? Or do they only list the ones most easily found in the US?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #39
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by invictvs View Post
I see. Thanks for the input. I think I might actually try this stuff. One other question though. I thought that LL01 oils were ones listed on the bmwusa site (m1, gc, etc.), but I found this list too http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=311123. Does that mean more oils are approved for use in our cars than is listed on BMW's website? Or do they only list the ones most easily found in the US?

That's it...easily found. I use Total Quartz 0/30; total has a 5/40 too and both are LL-01. (Total was formerly ELF)

Agip is the oil you'd find in Ferraris. It's also good.

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set

dmax on the radio every Wednesday 7-9 p.m. NYC time. Call in! (661) 449-9340 watsonnwatson.com
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:27 PM   #40
kondzik

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbsilver View Post

you do a lot of highway miles, huh?