E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #21
325xittt

My Ride: 2003, 325 XIT
I'm servicing two AWD 2003 BWM's a 325xi and a 325xit and a 1996 328i (different thread) My wagon has a few more miles 150K vs 120K for the sedan. Both seam to be following the same maintenance. Themostates, CAB's ball joints, CV boots. Replaced one DISA (flapper broke) and fix the rattle of the other with JB Weld (It's been good for over a year so far) Both ICV's were frozen, removed them, cleaned them and freed them up. Replaced the vanos seal on the higher mileage one, made a big difference in power and smoothness. Also replace on one or the other, Fuel pump, front wheel bearing, front axles. Good luck you are entering the maintenance zone where things need to be replace 100k to 150 K. i'm looking at doing a clutch this winter, fun, fun
Old 10-25-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
TiAgXi

My Ride: e46xi, e46m
Quote:
Originally Posted by john311tran View Post
why are you changing? what's wrong with the ones in there? sometimes i feel like i'm the only bimmer owner that doesn't have thousands of money to throw into my car whenever i feel like it. it's not like i'm a high school or college student. i have a graduate degree and make good money. wtf?
Control arms and a full inspection 2 type service made a pretty incredible difference in how nice my car drives. That said, it's expensive to do all that and the car was reliable and road-worthy before I did so. there's a cost/benefit analysis to be done, as always. and that analysis has to be individualized. I'm willing to "waste" a lot of money on the car. but then, to me it's not a waste.
TiAgXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Texas325xi

My Ride: 08 328i Sport Pac
A month ago I cleaned my ICV and inspected my DISA, all good. Two weeks ago....DISA broke...WTF?!!! Replaced and all good now.....just don't tell my car that..
Texas325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #24
farache

My Ride: My girl....
Hey guys,
I am thinking that i have major issues but need to check everything..

This is what i've done while replacing the brake pads, I moved the wheel back and forth and heard some clanky noise.. Not sure if the wheel movement is even right (shouldn't they lock or something??)

also,
The steering wheel feels kinda though to turn and when turning sometimes it does not turns back.
While driving the car pulls to the left, and the steering wheel seems little off when the tires are straight.

In the morning the steering wheel also makes a funny sound.

So,
The car has 95K miles . I think i have to do a major inspection and see what's going on down there....
I'd prefer to take it to a shop but would also like to see it for myself.. ( so i can learn as well)

Bushings, boots I get it, they are open, leaking etc they have to be replaced, but what do i look for in the control arms to make sure if they are good or not?
how do i check the CAB's ball joints?
, what other thing should i look for?
farache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 10:13 PM   #25
svdw

My Ride: 2003 325XI
Jack up your car so you can move each wheel front to back and side to side. Really shake it. Your ball joint is probably fine if there is no play in the wheel. If the wheel feels loose and you can rock it back and forth, even though the lugnuts are tight, your entire control arm, which includes the outer ball joint, will need to be replaced.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
svdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 05:50 AM   #26
chaso

My Ride: 2001 330xi
I'm going to be getting bushings, clutch/flywheel, thermostat and water pump, and all belts replaced at an independent shop.

What is a fair price for that work not including parts?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer

OEM+ 2001 330xi | Steel Gray | Black | FK Highsports
chaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
chaso

Just got FCABs, CV boots and joints, all belts, water pump, and coilovers installed. Now I've got a shake under heavy acceleration. When will it end?
Old 11-21-2011, 01:27 PM   #28
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
^I'd get your tires balanced and an alignment since you changed the suspension geometry with the coilovers.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET28/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM   #29
chaso

I had them aligned the same day the coilovers were installed. Is a balance really necessary?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield View Post
^I'd get your tires balanced and an alignment since you changed the suspension geometry with the coilovers.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #30
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaso View Post
I had them aligned the same day the coilovers were installed. Is a balance really necessary?
Check to make sure it was all installed correctly. Your control arms might be shot at this point...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:27 PM   #31
chaso

I'm going back in tomorrow to have it all checked out.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer

OEM+ 2001 330xi | Steel Gray | Black | FK Highsports