Accessing passenger compartment from trunk? - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
demerson

My Ride: 2003 325i
Accessing passenger compartment from trunk?

I''ve got a 2003 325i sedan and this morning when I went to open the driver's door with the key, there was an unusual click and now the key rotates left and right in the cylinder but it doesn't open the door any more. Apparently, a washer in the lock mechanism cracked (which not uncommon I've read)..and I've ordered the e46 lock repair kit off ebay to fix it.

However, to fix it I need to get into the car. So, here's my question.

My key still opens the trunk. Is there anyone who can think of a way to get into the passenger compartment or otherwise unlock the car using access to the trunk? Unfortunately, my vehicle doesn't appear to have fold down rear seats or the ski "pass thru" option.

I'd probably call a locksmith and use the "lock out" service, but I'm on a pretty thin budget and would like to avoid that extra expense if possible.

This is my first post on e46...and I'm amazed and appreciative of all the people who contribute to this community. Much better than anything I've seen on other car brands. Thank you.
demerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:29 PM   #2
swordsman11868

I thought all BMWs came with electric locks...

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92. Broken DISA for sale! PM me.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #3
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 340K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by demerson View Post
I''ve got a 2003 325i sedan and this morning when I went to open the driver's door with the key, there was an unusual click and now the key rotates left and right in the cylinder but it doesn't open the door any more. Apparently, a washer in the lock mechanism cracked (which not uncommon I've read)..and I've ordered the e46 lock repair kit off ebay to fix it.

However, to fix it I need to get into the car. So, here's my question.

My key still opens the trunk. Is there anyone who can think of a way to get into the passenger compartment or otherwise unlock the car using access to the trunk? Unfortunately, my vehicle doesn't appear to have fold down rear seats or the ski "pass thru" option.

I'd probably call a locksmith and use the "lock out" service, but I'm on a pretty thin budget and would like to avoid that extra expense if possible.

This is my first post on e46...and I'm amazed and appreciative of all the people who contribute to this community. Much better than anything I've seen on other car brands. Thank you.
Nice little sucking up at the end...that's always a good thing to do when addressing 180,000 people! LOL

You might not have a ski pass now, but you can make one. If you search for 'locked out of car' "God damn it, locked my keys in car but trunk is open," "locked out" or any of the "please help" "Please for the love of Jes-s, help me!"

Anyway, the theory is you just bang through the few weld spots and the ski pass breaks like a strong coffee can lid! Remove the back lining in trunk (a pitb to put back in for me!), bang out metal as suggested in many threads, and wiggle through into car!

If you're too big, just lure a young child or beagle (they're really smart and many fanatics use them for this...and other things (do not ask!)).

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!

Last edited by dmax; 10-21-2011 at 09:32 PM.
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2011, 09:33 PM   #4
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 340K miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post
I thought all BMWs came with electric locks...
I presumed he doesn't have a fob. If he does have one, this could become among my favorite threads of all time!

Please view this vid so it looks like I'm popular. Please! https://youtu.be/995gLmVEVZk

dmax on Facebook

Mangofy your E46!
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
swordsman11868

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmax View Post
I presumed he doesn't have a fob. If he does have one, this could become among my favorite threads of all time!
Yeah my first thought was to suggest he use one of the other 3 doors that are unlocked. But then that would be too simple.

OP
The ski pass is your best bet. Use a hammer and a chisel to cut the spot welds. HTH

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92. Broken DISA for sale! PM me.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:14 PM   #6
demerson

problem solved

thanks to everyone for their ideas on how to solve problem.
I used a modified version of the truck pass-thru suggestion. I didn't have to break out the steel pass-thru panel that is tack-welded in place. Instead, since, there's a roughly 3/4" hole in the middle of that panel already, I was able to pass a rod/coat-hanger combo through and unlock the rear doors by releasing the interior handle (must pull twice to open the door).

Have also replaced the battery in my key-fob so that I can use the remote to open the car...and in the meanwhile am awaiting the lock repair kit...so in the future I can use the key again.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220737785263...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
demerson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door lock, lock, lockout, trunk