E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 07-23-2012, 11:08 AM   #321
Schlag96
Slightly Modded ///Member

My Ride: 1999 323i
LOL'd at the stanced skateboard and the stanced registration stickers on the "OFCR PLZ" plates
Schlag96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:04 AM   #322
LoveBeingUseless

My Ride: 2003 325i Sedan

Just saw this!! Front page on Stance Works for the Avila Motoring Invitational!

Click picture to go to the article.

For more updates, Follow me on Instagram! @LoveBeingUseless

Last edited by LoveBeingUseless; 07-25-2012 at 01:21 AM.
LoveBeingUseless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 01:54 AM   #323
IminDiegoTriick

My Ride: BMW e30 Cabby
Great job! Your OEM+ look is definitely a winner
Old 07-25-2012, 03:11 AM   #324
MikeyD107

My Ride: BMW 320d sedan
Saw it aswell, instantly recognized your wheels. Congrats, it looks really clean!
Old 07-25-2012, 10:21 PM   #325
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
came here to show you the link to the picture of your car on the cover haha you beat me to it
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 02:00 AM   #326
LoveBeingUseless

Basic Coolant Flush

Decided I should do a coolant flush on my car since I have no Idea the condition of the coolant in the car. Over time most people just add water to their coolant system whenever need which slowly dilutes the coolant system. you need to make sure the Coolant concentration stays high for a multiple of reasons:

-BMW Coolant has Lubricants in it to keep, the waterpump, heater valves and thermostat operating smoothly.

-BMW Coolant has additives that keeps the metals, plastics, and seals in the coolant system healthy and strong for longevity.

-BMW Coolant last but not least does the job of keeping your engine cool!!

Whenever working on the coolant system, let the car cool off first! As it heats up it is under high pressure! A properly sealed coolant system is what actually helps coolant do its job so well, as coolant warms up and expands the coolant circuit gets pressurized which in turn raises the boiling point as well. So If you dont want a face full of burning coolant. Be paitent and make sure the cooling is cool.

I say this is a basic coolant flush becuase I did not use an external pump to push a flushing agent through the coolant circuit to thourghly clean it out. What I did do simply was drain all the coolant out of the radiator/expansion tank, than turned my heater/stratisfication adjustment to full hot. (Stratisfication adjustment is the temp adjustment between your two center vents). Then start the car and pour new 50/50 mixed BMW coolant/Distilled water into the expansion tank (With expansion tank drain reinstalled) and let the vehicles water pump, pump the new coolant in and the old coolant out! As soon as the coolant draining out looks fresh and dark blue, turn off the car. Refill and bleld the coolant system and you're good!

Step 1: Lift Vehicle in the air!

Step 2: Loosen radiator cap and allow cooling system to vent.

Step 3: Remove engine underbody panel.

There are 7 Phillips 180 degree fasteners holding the belly pan on.

Step 4: Remove Radiator Drain plug. (Manual Transmissions have a drain, uner the expansion tank as well. Remove it) Automatics do not, the have a transmission fluid heat exchanger and thermostat. Let all the coolant drain out. When finished REINSTALL EXPANSION TANK DRAIN PLUG if applicable.

You may also remove the block drain plug, which is a 13mm bolt under the exhaust manifolds. It can be a pain to get to, and makes a mess, that is why I chose not too. The water pump will pump that coolant out anyways when we get to that part. for those who want too, heres some crappy pictures of the block drain plug.

Step 5: Mix new coolant

Now go to BMW or order it online, just get 1 gallon of BMW Coolant Concetrate. Mix it 50% Coolant/50% Water. I had an extra empty coolant bottle from work I was able to mix it in, just grab an extra container and pour 2 qt. of coolant in it and 2 qt of water. You can mix it 60/40 coolant to water for more extreme weather conditions such as snow or desert. For me in So Cal 50/50 is just fine.

Remove the the plastic bleed screw, on the upper radiator hose.

Step 6: Pump old coolant out!

Start the car with the HEATER ON and start pouring new coolant in the expansion tank.

Once you see the fresh blue coolant draining out, go ahead and turn off the engine. Reinstall the Radiator drain plug. Continue filling the coolant system untill the coolant overflows out of the bleed screw hole in the upper radiator hole. Than Reinstall the bleeder screw and top off the coolant. Let your car run and get to operating temperature with the heater on then turn off and call it a day. When the car is cold go ahead and recheck the coolant level, top off if needed!

Note: When Installing the bleed screw, it is usually good practive to replace it. Its okay to reuse it but take extra care on how tight you make it. WIth a new bleeder screw or if you are reusing your old one, make sure taht you give it a good snug using only your finger tips on the screwdriver, it is easy to over torque which can cause it to crack, or damage the threads causeing your cooling system to fail.

Well thats all for now Just found oil starting to migrate through my exhaust camshaft sensor through the wire harness and leaking out the thermostat connector.... So I just cleaned the connections and I gotta get a new exhaust camshaft Position Sensor. I'll post pics soon on that.

Last edited by LoveBeingUseless; 07-29-2012 at 02:45 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 02:14 AM   #327
e46cruiser

My Ride: 02 325i
Great job man!
I can honestly say I love your write up's!
Very informative, keep it up!
e46cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 AM   #328
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
That's it. What about burping, bleeding air out of the system. Is that not a critical part of the process?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:37 AM   #329
LoveBeingUseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
That's it. What about burping, bleeding air out of the system. Is that not a critical part of the process?
That is why you fill the reservoir till the bleed screw hole overflows with coolant. Than you reinstall the bleed screw and reservoir cap and them run the car till gets to operating temperature with the heater on. This is where "burping" will happen, which any loose air this system will make its way to the reservoir. Turn of the car, let it cool and recheck coolant level. That's it!

Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #330
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
Ahhhhh. I see.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:20 AM   #331
JUN-TUN809

My Ride: 2000 328i
i luv ur thread very helpful...im thinking about getting the rokkor coilovers for my saden, now i would like to ask u how difficult it is to install?
JUN-TUN809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 11:10 PM   #332
LoveBeingUseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUN-TUN809 View Post
i luv ur thread very helpful...im thinking about getting the rokkor coilovers for my saden, now i would like to ask u how difficult it is to install?
Glad to hear everyone is pleased! It is not to bad to install them at all for me. it depends on what tools you have access too and knowledge.

Old 07-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #333
LoveBeingUseless

Soo, I was unhappy to find oil pump into my wire loom

I went to check my coolant level after I did my coolant flush and I found some oil residue coming from my thermostat electrical connector.. I keep my engine clean and inspect it regularly. Nothing else is leaking around there. Just oil coming out of the connecter. I removed the connector and found oil in it. Which means the oil is pumping through the wire harness from another connecter. I started unplugging various connectors all of them are clean, except for the exhaust camshaft position sensor.. found the culprit, a little down the wire loom from the thermostat connector.

I've seen water get pushed through the wire harness from the thermostat. Ive seen cars that get water and oil pushed through the wire harness all the way into the dme and kills the whole car. The worst thing is It would show no signs until it was too late. I'm glad I caught this early and that is oil rather than coolant. Coolant corrods the wiring which requeires you to replace the wiring. The oil didnt make its way that far into the loom so I am going to replace my exhaust camshaft sensor and clean out all the connectors as best I can. Everything should be good from there

Heres the connectorof the thermostat after I cleaned it. It only leaked out a little bit.

Heres the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor

Cleaned the connectors up real good with parts wash and put it back together. Just wanted to say my car is driving just perfect, no problems at all despite the oil in the wire harness!

Old 07-30-2012, 12:21 AM   #334
Jets330

My Ride: scrapes alot
dude! wtf! i tried stretchin my 215 falken 452's which are known for stretching.. but they popped onto my 9.5's, but wouldnt seal! how did you stretch 215 achilles on 10"s? oh my god. this frustrates me
Jets330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 12:23 AM   #335
323i2011Y

My Ride: BMW
How are the Rokkor's compared to stock suspension? I'm specifically asking about handling.
Old 07-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #336
niiCk

My Ride: E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets330 View Post
dude! wtf! i tried stretchin my 215 falken 452's which are known for stretching.. but they popped onto my 9.5's, but wouldnt seal! how did you stretch 215 achilles on 10"s? oh my god. this frustrates me
cause achilles are awesome for stretching

i used 225s to go onto a 10.5" and i know someone who put a 215 onto 10.5"
niiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:09 AM   #337
LoveBeingUseless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 323i2011Y View Post
How are the Rokkor's compared to stock suspension? I'm specifically asking about handling.
a lot less body roll, if you dont slam them to much they can actually handle quite well in my opinion. Sway bars is where its at if you really want to add to ride on rails.

I was a little bored sitting on my pc, Dug up some old pics of my passat!

the trunk in process

Old 08-04-2012, 12:35 PM   #338
Schlag96

haha love the knight rider steering wheel. is that legal?
Old 08-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #339
zaharias

My Ride: Now has a 3lt :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingUseless View Post
Soo, I was unhappy to find oil pump into my wire loom

I went to check my coolant level after I did my coolant flush and I found some oil residue coming from my thermostat electrical connector.. I keep my engine clean and inspect it regularly. Nothing else is leaking around there. Just oil coming out of the connecter. I removed the connector and found oil in it. Which means the oil is pumping through the wire harness from another connecter. I started unplugging various connectors all of them are clean, except for the exhaust camshaft position sensor.. found the culprit, a little down the wire loom from the thermostat connector.

I've seen water get pushed through the wire harness from the thermostat. Ive seen cars that get water and oil pushed through the wire harness all the way into the dme and kills the whole car. The worst thing is It would show no signs until it was too late. I'm glad I caught this early and that is oil rather than coolant. Coolant corrods the wiring which requeires you to replace the wiring. The oil didnt make its way that far into the loom so I am going to replace my exhaust camshaft sensor and clean out all the connectors as best I can. Everything should be good from there

Heres the connectorof the thermostat after I cleaned it. It only leaked out a little bit.

Heres the Exhaust Camshaft Sensor

Cleaned the connectors up real good with parts wash and put it back together. Just wanted to say my car is driving just perfect, no problems at all despite the oil in the wire harness!
When you notice weak performance.. change that cps sensor..
I changed mine a month ago.. It was about a year since i did the vanos seals and saw oil coming through the connector..
The oil will ruin the sensor.. Try changing the o-ring and clean the sensor again.. before buying a new cps..

By the way, i like your style.. Car looks very nice..
Old 08-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #340
Schlag96

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaharias View Post
When you notice weak performance.. change that cps sensor..
I changed mine a month ago.. It was about a year since i did the vanos seals and saw oil coming through the connector..
The oil will ruin the sensor.. Try changing the o-ring and clean the sensor again.. before buying a new cps..

By the way, i like your style.. Car looks very nice..
Did you really quote that entire post... my scrolling finger has a cramp.