E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Cool Experience DIY Members [opinion]

I'm About to DIY OIL SEPARATOR> (???)

03>325xi>usa>09/2002>m54>eu33

Diff(75w90)?, TC(75w80)?,manual Transmission(Purple magic(autozone)or Red line?,intake boot Kit, Vanos kit,

Best Advice?
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:36 AM   #2
latitude39

My Ride: 2002 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlatexxx View Post
I'm About to DIY OIL SEPARATOR> (???)

03>325xi>usa>09/2002>m54>eu33

Diff(75w90)?, TC(75w80)?,manual Transmission(Purple magic(autozone)or Red line?,intake boot Kit, Vanos kit,

Best Advice?
Differentials: Redline 75w90 synthetic. Both diffs get about 1 quart--less than a quart in one and a little more than a quart in the other.

Transfer case: Pentosin 75w-80 MTF2 is what I now use. Although I have used Redline D4 ATF in the past, I feel better about using the MTF2 which is equivalent, or the actual supplier, of BMW's MTF LT-2. I contacted the folks at New Process Gear, formerly New Venture, (the TC maker) and they recommended MTF LT-2.

VANOS kit: I'm aware of only 1 aftermarket kit--Besian, which is what I and many others have used.

CCV (oil separator): The tricky part of the CCV is mating the actual valve with the pipe coming down (labeled "connecting hose" in the photo) between intake manifold runners 2 & 3 (or between 1 & 2, I forget). The connection requires pressing the pipe into the CCV and then rotating it. Rehearse the assembly until you can do it with your eyes closed because that's how you'll be doing it. Be sure to replace the o-ring on the dipstick guide tube. This photo is not mine but is from one the excellent DIYs.

The lower intake boot is only about $15. I replaced mine even though it seemed fine. Be sure to line up the tab on the boot to the slot on the bottom of the throttle body. I used a small mirror to check. A flexible-handle hex nut driver will be useful when dealing with the hose clamps--5mm or 6mm as I recall.

Manual tranny? I can't help here. I've got a Steptronic.

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CCV valve and hoses.jpeg
Views:	107
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	422093  
latitude39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:59 PM   #3
Gus330vrum

Thank you for your information! i have done the OIL SEPARATOR USING MY HANDS/ BAVAUTO VIDEO DIY/ and some reading on the web...

it was pain in the ass to put it back together!!! but i got it done =] "I DID NOT FIND CRACKS ON IT.. DOES IT STILL LEAK SOMEWHERE?

took me 5hrs O_O saved me 600$ hehehe!

i feel the pedal/acceleration a lot light.. not rough....

but i still got a check engine light on! " and under warm up i got that stall/ rpm up and down!!! even after the new oil separator... ? anyone could help me?

i accelerate and my lights get low/my headlight power go low tooo/ windows very slow closing/ sometimes cluster takes time to turn on the orange light on the mileage spot*

Last edited by Gus330vrum; 11-14-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
Get your battery and alternator checked. Replace as necessary. Also check your belts and pulleys for any slipping and/or wear. Your oil separator has nothing to do with your electrical system. The best way to get rid of a check engine light is to first figure out what's causing it so please go get your car scanned and let us know what the codes are.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:49 AM   #5
Gus330vrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Get your battery and alternator checked. Replace as necessary. Also check your belts and pulleys for any slipping and/or wear. Your oil separator has nothing to do with your electrical system. The best way to get rid of a check engine light is to first figure out what's causing it so please go get your car scanned and let us know what the codes are.

yea! taking codes to get checked today,

i changed oil separator because i saw a lot thread about it.. more like preventive maintenance at 130k. PLUS SAW OIL right bay engine under oil separator... next to throttle body left under side....

here some videos after oil separator replaced!

LOOK 2:55 {Look at the RPM}

Last edited by Gus330vrum; 11-15-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Gus330vrum

Update: Check engine light checked by mechanic { karma automobile} in atlanta.

he said MAF! "intake air meter sensor" he took it for a drive and said it feels like the car jerky/lost power under acceleration ...

NEW MAF ON THE WAY
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m 010.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	425394  
Old 11-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
jasonbimmer

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Update: Check engine light checked by mechanic { karma automobile} in atlanta.

he said MAF! "intake air meter sensor" he took it for a drive and said it feels like the car jerky/lost power under acceleration ...

NEW MAF ON THE WAY
I see $$$$$$$
jasonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:56 PM   #8
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
i'd clean the maf (maby its just dirty) before buying the new one

if you haven't replaced the o2 sensors please do so
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #9
Gus330vrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbimmer View Post
I see $$$$$$$

Funnny.... Nope! I know local JUNK YARD FOR BMW ONLY! he has thousand of different parts..... trust me!

100$ used OEM MAF! =]]]

trusttt meee... i already tried cleaning it..... o_o
Old 11-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #10
A3ferthee

My Ride: 2003 330Xi
I might be off base on this, but I believe that Cardone sells rebuilt MAF sensors. Personally, I would prefer that over a used unit since I would not be sure how much life is left in the used one vs a reman, which would have a warranty. But, if price above all, then if the used is cheap enough, it should buy some time on the road until funds set aside for the next one. Also, IIRC I came across some thread (here in the Fanatics vault of knowledge...?) that offered a Hyundai unit with the same VDO part number for the 325 (not the 330 tho), not expensive.
A3ferthee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:53 PM   #11
Sven330ci

My Ride: 06 330ci
[QUOTE=mrlatexxx;13802510]Funnny.... Nope! I know local JUNK YARD FOR BMW ONLY! he has thousand of different parts..... trust me!

Not trying to thread jack, but if you could please pm me the number for the junk yard...I'm looking into a manual swap. Thanks.
Sven330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #12
Gus330vrum

Talking

[QUOTE=Sven330ci;13810328]
Quote:
Funnny.... Nope! I know local JUNK YARD FOR BMW ONLY! he has thousand of different parts..... trust me!

Not trying to thread jack, but if you could please pm me the number for the junk yard...I'm looking into a manual swap. Thanks.
all good

auto expert Bmw

770)586 0268 Emanuel,

amazed with his inventory !

i would not risk a 30k+ max 45k ? manual tranny " thats me"