E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-28-2014, 06:28 PM   #1
raichean

My Ride: 2004 e46 M3 cabrio
Backup camera wiring question, power and RCA run.

Hey all!

I need some wiring advice before I do anything final in tapping wires or something radical.

I am in the middle of my backup camera install and have made serious progress. Apparently there are NO cameras that fit a convertible properly but with some dangerous hacking, I have shaved the camera housing down enough to actually FIT into the trunk trim.

I have the trim installed and am starting to look at the wiring and have some questions that hopefully yall can help with?

Look at the attached pic from the vendor to see the wiring diagram at the bottom please?

1. Wires 3 and 4 - these appear to be power and ground for the LED that replaces the license plate light. (the whole socket is out now) One side of the socket had two wires connecting to the same contact plate, one wire to a stand alone plate on the other side. I wired RED hot from the LED to the paired wired (joined now as the clearly made a circuit on the contact plate) and the ground to the stand alone socket contact.

Sound right?

2. Wire 2 - This will just connect to the power line to the backup light, which in the vert is on the trunk lid already. I will tap to the line using a standard wire tap.

3. camera power (red plug) - I thought I would ALSO wire tap this to the power and ground runs to the backup light, as it goes hot when you back up, so 12v power is applied and the camera would get power. Make sense? Would this work?

4. Anyone run a RCA cable like this from the trunk? I have my back set out so its through the wall there, but not sure of where to route it from there. It looks like the mass cable bundle runs under the passenger side door seal (under the carpet)? Or run the cable directly through the center, under the center console and straight to the deck?

I don't do electrical work very much, so want to make sure I am doing this right before I actually cut any wires, though too late for the license plate light socket, as I took it out. (question 1, hope I didn't wire it backwards)

Thanks yall! This is tying into my Avant-2 deck install guide, and had to take a huge step back on the camera as I couldn't get it to fit. I got it.. but DAMN it wasn't easy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Skoda_013-ccd.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	139.3 KB
ID:	555969  

Last edited by raichean; 04-28-2014 at 06:34 PM.
raichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Thats why the only cam I recommend for a vert (or a coupe) is an external surface mount one like the BK1 that we carry, just stick it on and route the wire through the handle housing.

Frankly that diagram that came with your camera is a convoluted mess....probably why you are unsure about how to proceed.

Basically it goes like this, the camera needs power and ground and both of these wires will be present at the trunk end of the wiring. Power is provided by splicing into the reverse light circuit, ground is grounded. That way when the reverse lights come on the camera turns on.

many cameras have second wire going to the front of the car (from the looks of your diagram I would guess yours has this), it will be present at the dash end of the wiring, its on the same circuit as the camera power wire and is intended to connect to the reverse trigger wire on the head unit. That way when the reverse lights come on, the camera gets power and turns on AND the reverse "switch" is triggered on the head unit.

Your cam appears to have power connections for the license plate LED, that is fairly self explanatory.

Run the wire up either door sill, if the rear seat is out just pull the door sill out and you should be able to tuck the rest behind and around the remaining panels.

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 04-29-2014 at 03:19 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #3
raichean

Thanks man.. yeah, that diagram is a mess huh?
Old 04-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #4
raichean

I did it! Its in, it works, and it looks great! Talk about a seriously insane level of effort though! I will post up the DIY once it is done.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #5
Retrax

My Ride: 2004 325CI vert
Glad you got it sorted. Mine was a pain to put in also. I had to do major surgery to the camera housing to modify it to fit. I pulled my rear seat, passenger door jamb door sill moulding and glove box and ran it through the wiring channel.
Retrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 10:02 PM   #6
raichean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrax View Post
Glad you got it sorted. Mine was a pain to put in also. I had to do major surgery to the camera housing to modify it to fit. I pulled my rear seat, passenger door jamb door sill moulding and glove box and ran it through the wiring channel.
Sounds like we routed it the same way once we got to that stage.. ditto on the hack n slash of the housing. Pretty significant mods to get it working, but it fits. 8)