E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2011, 07:42 PM   #81
HarjG

My Ride: E46 325i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
And thankyou for your new contribution of 8 posts (all asking for answers of course) to this forum.
Instead of doing a search on how many posts I've done, why don't you try to post useful info that others may benefit from your experience with the dynavin? Isn't that the purpose of this specific forum topic??
Old 11-05-2011, 08:10 PM   #82
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjG View Post
Instead of doing a search on how many posts I've done,
No need to search, take a look under your user name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarjG View Post
why don't you try to post useful info that others may benefit from your experience with the dynavin? Isn't that the purpose of this specific forum topic??
I've done plenty thanks but why don't you contribute and help others
Old 11-05-2011, 08:12 PM   #83
HarjG

My Ride: E46 325i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
No need to search, take a look under your user name.

I've done plenty thanks but why don't you contribute and help others
Dude I help where I can. Honestly don't want to go on about this.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 AM   #84
MaximumWalrus

My Ride: E39 530i
Hi guys,

I have spent weeks researching the Dynavin units. I've read every thread I can find - including all 110 pages of the v5 thread. It's answered a lot of my questions and I'm almost ready to buy a unit for each of my cars. However I have a few unanswered questions still. If these have already been asked then I apologise - I've read so many pages of Dynavin threads on these forums I'm sure I might have missed the odd useful snippet. So, apologies in advance if I'm asking questions which have already been answered.

1) How does the unit behave when you turn the ignition on? Does it always return to the same state it was in when you powered off?

Say for example I had Nav on but with no route set - just showing the position of the car on the map, and with my iPod playing in the background. I park the car and remove the key. What happens with the Dynavin next morning? Does it boot into Nav mode with no route set and my Ipod playing? Or does it always come back to a main menu first?

2) Steering Wheel Control functionality

I've noticed that the functionality of the steering wheel controls has changed over time with different variants of the Dynavin unit. My understanding is that in V1-V5 you could use the up/down buttons on the steering wheel and they would skip to the next track or go to the previous track, in both Radio and Nav mode. Then there was a firmware update for V5 which changed the functionality of these buttons. What is the current state of play in V6? If I'm in Nav mode and I press up or down what will happen? And what if I do the same in the iPod player window?

3) Reverse Camera

I am in the UK. Do I need a PAL or an NTSC reversing camera?

4) Bluetooth microphone

I have a fully wired Nokia Bluetooth kit which I will obviously remove. Can I re-use the microphone with the dynavin? It's all fitted nicely into the headlining of the car. I think it has a standard 3.5mm connector.

5) GPS Aeriel

Did we ever get to the bottom of the problems people were having with GPS reception? It seemed to affect mainly Android units and I'm going to go for Windows CE units. Is the Dynavin GPS mouse propertiary or can I use another one if I want? I usually use GPS units with the Sirfstar 3 chipset and have had fanastic results. My Bluetooth GPS receiver usually sits burried deep in my dash with no problems. I'd prefer not to have a GPS antenna on show on the dash if I can avoid it.

6) RDS

Most of the RDS comments I can find are from the US guys. I'm from the UK and have noticed that RDS seems to function differently when I'm over in the States. So for you UK guys - how does the Dynavin handle UK RDS? Well? It'll display the name of the station I'm listening to and not the frequency, just like my stock radio, right?

Shame we don't seem to get the extended RDS info with track info you guys get in the States, I loved that when I was over there last month!

7) The stupid question

I know this has been answered before. But it's such a critical one for me I absolutely must ask it again just to be sure.

Ipod resume works now, right? Turn car on, resume from where I was last playing? This is a critical feature and is what prevented me buying into Dynavin before V6 came out.

Thanks for your patience guys. I had literally 100 questions until I read all the threads, so I'm hoping the few questions I've got left are not going over too much old ground for you all!
MaximumWalrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:07 PM   #85
WillE46

My Ride: Topaz M3 Vert
I recently purchased and installed the new Dynavin V6 Windows unit on my '02 M3 Vert. I had the factory Nav system so I replaced my headunit, BM53 tuner, DVD drive, and CD changer with the Dynavin hardware.

Few issues:

A. Steering wheel controls work half the time. Multiple inputs are needed to adjust the volume and or change stations. It works for a few inputs then it doesn't (completely non-responsive) and so on. Very frustrating! I figure that if the steering control box was disloged or not fully plugged in, then it wouldn't work at all. Jeff says that he's received a few complaints with the same issue and they are looking into it.

B. CD/DVD audio is awful. Sounds like the speakers are blown. It's so bad that it is not tolerable at any volume. I've tried both burned CDs and original CDs and DVDs with no improvement in sound. Interestingly enough, when the AMP setting (in the hidden setup menu) is set to 'Common' the CD/DVD audio is drastically improved (not solved- there is distortion here and there). Jeff says that he'll look at the CD drive hidden menu and try to duplicate the problem. Not sure if I just have a bad CD/DVD drive.

C. The buttons on the headunit do not light up so you can't see them at night because the Fakra cable's (needed for factory nav equipped cars) ilumination wire does not receive a signal from the factory trunk harness). A tap must be made. Simple fix but those considering must be aware.

D. I have the HK system but in the set-up menu with the AMP setting set to 'Common', the volume is very low. The audio sounds MUCH better when set to 'OFF'. Jeff says to use whichever sounds best.

E. Navigation has to search for a signal and load very very slowly every time you start the car. Eventually it picks up the signal and the map works perfectly. My factory Nav always booted up instantly (no load time necessary). According to Jeff, the Dynavin's navigation antenna needs to be mounted on the dash to receive a strong signal rather than in the dash on the bar behind the A/C vents (where I have it mounted). I have yet to see if this will solve the problem but it's what I was told to do.

F. The radio reception can get pretty bad. It is not nearly as good as stock. I will recheck my Antenna cable connections to see if it's not a loose end somewhere.

G. I installed a rear view camera. For the most part, it works well but sometimes, the image is screwed up, or doesn't show, or shows but without the distance indicators, etc. Weird. May be the camera that is tempermental.

Otherwise, I like the unit. It's certainly not what I thought it would be but it does have it's upsides. The touchscreen interface modernizes the car technologically, the appearance is just a good as factory, the bluetooth works well even with the built in mic (I just wish it stored/synched your contacts), bluetooth streaming audio works well, etc

Jeff has been helpful and I am looking forward to getting some positive resolution to my problems.

Last edited by WillE46; 11-09-2011 at 08:56 PM.
WillE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 AM   #86
crristic

My Ride: e46 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillE46 View Post
F. The radio reception is not as good as stock. I will recheck my Antenna cable connections to see if it's not a loose end somewhere.
Same problem here. While it's true most of the time I use my ipod classic which works flawlessly, it would be great having a fix for this, it's a bit frustrating having stereo reception on and off. Perhaps some sort of amplifier? though this has been recommended for the non FL versions.

thanks
crristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM   #87
mrmozz

My Ride: E46 touring
The coulors of the cd playback sceen does not look good in my opinion. I've only seen pictures, but from what I've seen it does not match a BMWs instrument environment at all. It should be more like black and ambient like the rest. Its easier for the eyes too when dark
mrmozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #88
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
anyone have pro's/con's regarding which OS to go for? Windows or Android?
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec

Last edited by rellik; 11-09-2011 at 04:29 PM.
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM   #89
WillE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rellik View Post
anyone have pro's/con's regarding which OS to go for? Windows or Android?
Unless you plan to use the internet connectivity, I really don't see the need to pay extra for the Android system.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 AM   #90
geko29

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Unless you plan to use the internet connectivity, I really don't see the need to pay extra for the Android system.
This. I went for the Android and love the hell out of it, when paired with a MiFi. Pandora, Amazon Cloud Player, and to a lesser extent the SiriusXM app (SQ not that great) are huge for me. The constantly-up-to-date Google Maps and Navigation are awesome compared to an OEM nav with $300 annual updates.

Without internet, the android side of the unit would be as close to useless as you can get in a device that actually powers up.
geko29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 03:24 PM   #91
rellik

My Ride: is too slow...
thanks guys!
Sport, Cold Weather and Premium Packages * Dinan TCAI * Dinan Stage II engine software * Dinan performance tranny software * UUC TSE3 * ///M3 Steering wheel * ///M3 lip spoiler * UUC Slotted Front Rotors * Powerflex FCAB's * KONI FSD's * UUC StrutBarbarian * 35% tint * OEM (ULO) clears * 5000k bulbs * NGK Iridiums * Stewart WP * Delmarco's Bluetooth retrofit * LED Angel Eyes * 3K HID Fogs * USA Spec
rellik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #92
nepiman

My Ride: BMW E46
Quote:
I recently purchased and installed the new Dynavin V6 Windows unit on my '02 M3 Vert. I had the factory Nav system so I replaced my headunit, BM53 tuner, DVD drive, and CD changer with the Dynavin hardware.

Few issues:

A. Steering wheel controls work half the time. Multiple inputs are needed to adjust the volume and or change stations. It works for a few inputs then it doesn't (completely non-responsive) and so on. Very frustrating! I figure that if the steering control box was disloged or not fully plugged in, then it wouldn't work at all. Jeff says that he's received a few complaints with the same issue and they are looking into it.

B. CD/DVD audio is awful. Sounds like the speakers are blown. It's so bad that it is not tolerable at any volume. I've tried both burned CDs and original CDs and DVDs with no improvement in sound. Interestingly enough, when the AMP setting (in the hidden setup menu) is set to 'Common' the CD/DVD audio is drastically improved (not solved- there is distortion here and there). Jeff says that he'll look at the CD drive hidden menu and try to duplicate the problem. Not sure if I just have a bad CD/DVD drive.

C. The buttons on the headunit do not light up so you can't see them at night because the Fakra cable's (needed for factory nav equipped cars) ilumination wire does not receive a signal from the factory trunk harness). A tap must be made. Simple fix but those considering must be aware.

D. I have the HK system but in the set-up menu with the AMP setting set to 'Common', the volume is very low. The audio sounds MUCH better when set to 'OFF'. Jeff says to use whichever sounds best.

E. Navigation has to search for a signal and load very very slowly every time you start the car. Eventually it picks up the signal and the map works perfectly. My factory Nav always booted up instantly (no load time necessary). According to Jeff, the Dynavin's navigation antenna needs to be mounted on the dash to receive a strong signal rather than in the dash on the bar behind the A/C vents (where I have it mounted). I have yet to see if this will solve the problem but it's what I was told to do.

F. The radio reception can get pretty bad. It is not nearly as good as stock. I will recheck my Antenna cable connections to see if it's not a loose end somewhere.

G. I installed a rear view camera. For the most part, it works well but sometimes, the image is screwed up, or doesn't show, or shows but without the distance indicators, etc. Weird. May be the camera that is tempermental.

Otherwise, I like the unit. It's certainly not what I thought it would be but it does have it's upsides. The touchscreen interface modernizes the car technologically, the appearance is just a good as factory, the bluetooth works well even with the built in mic (I just wish it stored/synched your contacts), bluetooth streaming audio works well, etc

Jeff has been helpful and I am looking forward to getting some positive resolution to my problems.
Hi
I recently bought dynavin V6 wince. It's not android.
When I set the rearview camera, it does not show when I rear(back)up. The screen doesn't show up. But when I set to see the camera in the menu that's the only time it shows.
So I got an answer from the seller to fix this.
He replied

"On the main harness there is a green wire labeled "reverse", which needs to be connected to your reverse gear. So when you put your gear in reverse the backup camera screen will overwrite the unit. So make sure the backup camera is connected to the RCA plug labeled "rear camera" and the camera itself needs to have a power and ground source. If you're still not sure how to do it, we recommend taking it to a professional. Thanks"

I followed exactly what he told me but it did not work.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help.
nepiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:02 PM   #93
WillE46

It's simple. Your camera has a video rca cable which you connected to the video input on the Dynavin. Your camera also has a power and ground which you have connected. Lastly your camera has a signal wire (usually attached to the video rca cable) that needs to be attached to the reverse light wire in your trunk (blue/green) wire.

You have to get the signal from the trunk reverse light to the green cable on the Dynavin harness. How you do it depends on wether your car had a factory nav or not. If you used the Fakra cable, you can tap the green dynavin cable at the trunk end and connect it to the blue/green reverse wire while leaving the camera signal wire alone (both ends). If you don't use the Fakra cable, tap the trunk end of the signal wire to the reverse wire and the Dynavin/Cabin end of the signal wire to the green wire on the Dynavin harness.

I connected my camera power cable to the blue/green reverse wire so that the only time the camera turns on is when I place the car in reverse. Some people connect the camera power to an accessory cable so that whenever the car is on, the camera is on and can be accessed via the Camera button on the Dynavin at any time while still leaving the Dynavin signal wire tapped to the reverse wire so it automatically switches to that input any time reverse is engaged.

Sorry if this sounds confusing but it's simple.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #94
fadeaway

My Ride: 04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by nepiman View Post
Hi
I recently bought dynavin V6 wince. It's not android.
When I set the rearview camera, it does not show when I rear(back)up. The screen doesn't show up. But when I set to see the camera in the menu that's the only time it shows.
So I got an answer from the seller to fix this.
He replied

"On the main harness there is a green wire labeled "reverse", which needs to be connected to your reverse gear. So when you put your gear in reverse the backup camera screen will overwrite the unit. So make sure the backup camera is connected to the RCA plug labeled "rear camera" and the camera itself needs to have a power and ground source. If you're still not sure how to do it, we recommend taking it to a professional. Thanks"

I followed exactly what he told me but it did not work.
I would really appreciate it if anyone can help.
Check the thread titled "Reverse Camera Install Locations" or something like that. You will find all the information you need.
fadeaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 08:19 PM   #95
nepiman

Quote:
It's simple. Your camera has a video rca cable which you connected to the video input on the Dynavin. Your camera also has a power and ground which you have connected. Lastly your camera has a signal wire (usually attached to the video rca cable) that needs to be attached to the reverse light wire in your trunk (blue/green) wire.

You have to get the signal from the trunk reverse light to the green cable on the Dynavin harness. How you do it depends on wether your car had a factory nav or not. If you used the Fakra cable, you can tap the green dynavin cable at the trunk end and connect it to the blue/green reverse wire while leaving the camera signal wire alone (both ends). If you don't use the Fakra cable, tap the trunk end of the signal wire to the reverse wire and the Dynavin/Cabin end of the signal wire to the green wire on the Dynavin harness.

I connected my camera power cable to the blue/green reverse wire so that the only time the camera turns on is when I place the car in reverse. Some people connect the camera power to an accessory cable so that whenever the car is on, the camera is on and can be accessed via the Camera button on the Dynavin at any time while still leaving the Dynavin signal wire tapped to the reverse wire so it automatically switches to that input any time reverse is engaged.

Sorry if this sounds confusing but it's simple.
Thanks for the reply.
My BMW is 323ci with tape deck.
I did what you told me.
I connected camera's video rca cable which I connected to the video in(label name is "camera in" the RCA color is brown) on the Dynavin. Then I taped trunk end of the signal wire to the reverse wire and the Dynavin/Cabin end of the signal wire to the green wire on the Dynavin harness. And my camera has a signal wire also that it is attached to the reverse light wire in my trunk (blue/green) wire. But it doesn't work again..
Probably, my camera has some problem right? It's ccd.
I should get the other camera.

Ps. For the user manual book of Dynavin V6 it is confusing because that port map is saying the reverse wire is green on the unit top too, but "Description of function, color and location of leading line" says that No. 9 pink - reverse. Maybe the book is printed wrong? I will try the pink wire tommorrow. Thanks for your advice I hope the book is printed wrong.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:12 PM   #96
nepiman

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway View Post
Check the thread titled "Reverse Camera Install Locations" or something like that. You will find all the information you need.
I did!
Thank you!
Old 11-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #97
Sylv

My Ride: 330ci Vert 3 Pedals
Quote:

Few issues:

A. Steering wheel controls work half the time.....

B. CD/DVD audio is awful. Sounds like the speakers are blown.....

C. The buttons on the headunit do not light up so you can't see them at night ....

D. I have the HK system but in the set-up menu with the AMP setting set to 'Common', the volume is very low....

E. Navigation has to search for a signal and load very very slowly every time you start the car....

F. The radio reception can get pretty bad. It is not nearly as good as stock.....

G. I installed a rear view camera.....

A) I have the exact same problem, I have been working with Jeff on it so far, we figured out it isn't the units because i just installed a new one he sent me. So that is canceled out, Think the next step is to watch the voltages on the steering box that comes with the dynavin, ill need to figure out an easy way to work with that. The V5 unit NEVER did this problem for me though (WinCE) I asked Jeff what model e46 he tried on the unit i sent back to him (a few minutes ago) so we'll see. Since you have the issue, i know it isn't a 'facelift' thing but maybe a Coupe/Vert problem over Sedan (Where people with sedans don't have this problem)?

B) havn't tried/looked at it as of yet
C) I don't seem to have this problem
D) Nice so far no issue here
E) Where did you put your GPS Reciever?
F) Radio here is good, definitely check on the wiring for you
G) Rear View Quality is great for me so far, no issues; people say theyre having issues with having it engage, I just connected the 'sensor' to a reverse light so the camera turns on and the dynavin switches to it when going into reverse

Regardless of the SW Controls, i still love the unit, just want to fix this problem

Agreed, Jeff is 6/5 star customer service lol
Sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:39 AM   #98
WillE46

I sent my unti back to Jeff on Monday and he'll be sending me a new unit as well.
A. This SW control box thing is a major problem for me. With the new units, they redesigned the box so it could be a bad redesign.
B. Pretty sure the unit had a bad CD/DVD drive.
C. This only applies the car with factory nav that had to use the Fakra cable. I taped a light source to the orange cable on the Fakra which solved the problem.
D. ?
E. Originally, I had the antenna in my dash on the bar behind the A/C vents. I have since moved the antenna to on top of the dash on the driver side. Hope this helps because putting up with "no signal found; check hardware" message for 5+ minutes every time I start the car is VERY Frustrating!
F. I checked the wiring and everything is connected correctly. Oh well.
G. May be my camera that acts up sometimes

Jeff should be mailing out my new unit and SW control box today so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:16 PM   #99
Sylv

My Ride: 330ci Vert 3 Pedals
Definitely let us know
Good luck!
Btw for D. Just saying nice on fixing it. Im lucky i didnt have it, although the first unit popped every time I changed radio stations, new one doesn't. Really hope this fixes it

Last edited by Sylv; 11-17-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Sylv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:15 PM   #100
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
I sent my unti back to Jeff on Monday and he'll be sending me a new unit....
A. This SW control box thing is a major problem for me. With the new units, they redesigned the box so it could be a bad redesign.
You two are the only two ive heard of with this problem and on Sylv's car we replaced everything and its still an issue....so something is different/odd about his car, WillE46....you situation remains to be seen. Im going to try to get the SW control values to see if it something we can measure/troubleshoot on the incoming SW control wire. From what I gather both of you guys have verts....which is an interesting (but probably meaningless) data point....

Quote:
B. Pretty sure the unit had a bad CD/DVD drive.
Confirmed, bad left channel on the CD/DVD drive only (actually probably a bad connection but ill dig into that more later).
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote