E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-27-2015, 09:09 AM   #1
joeski3d

My Ride: 2000 323i
** The OFFICIAL E46 BEVERAGE TRADE Thread **

First off, it's not lawful to use US Postal Services to ship beverages containing alcohol.

That said, many micro brews are regional and, as such, many great brews go untasted by brew fanatics. Seems appropriate to form an official beer swap so beer snobs can sample all those beers they have been hearing about.

Typically, shipping growlers is not ideal as the beer can go flat if it's not consumed very soon after filling. There are some places that use a CO2 system that keeps growlers fresh for up to 2 weeks.

I am in NJ. It's got some silly distribution laws when it comes to beers. But there are a couple really awesome breweries that won't be found on any shelves or coolers outside the area.

Regional
Carton Brewing Company
Carton has a fantastic DIPA called 077XX that can be found in 4-pk cans on occasion.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26817/74065/

They also have a fantastic session ale called Boat.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26817/74467/

Kane
Typically they do growler fills. But they do sell bottled rarities at their brewery which I don't get to very often as it's a bit out of the way.

Kane Overhead is one of the best DIPAs out there and I can get the CO2 growler fill of the stuff.
http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/26676/79882/

Anyway, willing to trade. I'm looking for rare stuff from Oregon, Washington, Cali, Vermont, Illinois.

Would love to get my hands on some Fathead, Fiddlehead, Pliney, Heady, etc...

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
joeski3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
GasKing

My Ride: 14 Jeep Wrangler
Lots of micro brews in my area. Not a beer guy but I'm down to do a swap. Anyone hear of fire island brewery? I can hook you up with some of that.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #3
cowmoo32
drunken science

My Ride: Trek 1.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeski3d View Post
First off, it's not lawful to use US Postal Services to ship beverages containing alcohol.
lol

flickher

Looking for an affordable video card?

What's this about a brownie in motion?

Last edited by cowmoo32; 02-27-2015 at 09:17 AM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #4
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by GasKing View Post
Lots of micro brews in my area. Not a beer guy but I'm down to do a swap. Anyone hear of fire island brewery? I can hook you up with some of that.
is it brewed by phags?
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #5
cowmoo32
drunken science

^ Beat me to it.

flickher

Old 02-27-2015, 09:18 AM   #6
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
lol
yeast samples? or just pack em nicely and don't let them know what it is at all?
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
depending on what part of NJ you're in, you could be close enough to Baltimore to head over for some Dew Claw. Excellent stuff there. I recommend Serum, and you can't not try Sweet Baby Jesus.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:22 AM   #8
cowmoo32
drunken science

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
yeast samples? or just pack em nicely and don't let them know what it is at all?
It's a "snow globe" or you just risk it and don't tell them there is any liquid at all. The beer trading scene is HUGE online, and a few of my friends are deep into it

flickher

Old 02-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #9
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmoo32 View Post
lol
I tell them I'm shipping pickles...

Ballbusters Inc.

DISCLAIMER: No balls were physically hurt during the reading of this post. Should redness and/or swelling occur consult your gynecologist immediately.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:26 AM   #10
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Sounds like a fun idea. I hope everything works out.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #11
bagher

My Ride: Neocon outrage
Send a message via AIM to bagher Send a message via Skype™ to bagher
protip: write "fragile: glass" on the boxes, tell the shipper you are shipping vases.
Old 02-27-2015, 09:35 AM   #12
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
I'm in.

I think shipping a bottle or two would be just fine as long as you package it properly. I wouldn't ship a six pack lol.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #13
joeski3d

U-Haul sells a very affordable Wine Shipping Kit which is great for bombers or, with some bubble wrap, standard 12 oz bottles.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...g-Kits?mid=169

Ballbusters Inc.

Last edited by joeski3d; 02-27-2015 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #14
E36Eric

My Ride: E36
Send a message via AIM to E36Eric
I have a friend who's on beer forums who does this. They meet at random parking lots to trade beer. Like a nerdy drug trade.
Old 02-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #15
325kev

My Ride: 03 325i 5MT
Good idea, I'd probably be in on this. I've done some trading through the beer thread on this forum. Shipping is generally no big deal - I shipped about a dozen cans with a couple bottles mixed in. It's all about packaging it correctly.

I'm interested in trying brews from Surly, Cigar City, Troegs (Nugget Nectar), 3 Floyd's, Terrapin, and a couple others. I can get lots of west coast and mid west beers (AZ, New Mex, So Cal, Pacific NW, Founders, Bells). If anyone is interested let me know what you've got and what kind of beers you're interested in trying.
325kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:03 PM   #16
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Dude, you might want to do some research on this. Not requiring an "Over 21 Signature Required" alone can probably get you in trouble if something happens. I don't know much about it, but I do know that there are a lot of states that regulate what can and cannot be shipped in as far as alcohol goes. I did some research over the years when I was ordering wines that I wanted to purchase. Went fine, but I do know that under no circumstances would they ship alcohol without a signature required for someone over 21 (obviously)

I would never risk sending someone a beer, even if I did require 21+ delivery. So ya, just saying "fragile - glass" isn't going to fly. For what its worth, I cannot remember the last time I shipped something and one of the options was to require a 21+ signature, which leads me to think that shipping companies probably don't offer that shipping method to the public. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see it.

Last edited by JJR4884; 02-27-2015 at 02:04 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #17
joeski3d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
I would never risk sending someone a beer, even if I did require 21+ delivery. So ya, just saying "fragile - glass" isn't going to fly. For what its worth, I cannot remember the last time I shipped something and one of the options was to require a 21+ signature, which leads me to think that shipping companies probably don't offer that shipping method to the public. I could be wrong, but I have yet to see it.
So many people are shipping beer. I prefer using FedEx myself... I think DHL couldn't care less what is being shipped but they don't exactly handle parcels with care.

Ballbusters Inc.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #18
GRIFFIN
NWS

My Ride: 04 330i zsp,zpp,zcw
if I sent you a bottle of liquid unmarked would you drink it?

** Removed - Please stop - Tim330i **
*NWS GIF REMOVED*
*GIF REMOVED*
* Continuing to put animated images in your sig will get you banned - Tim330i *
**You make me so horny.- Tim330i **
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedges View Post
I can honestly say that because of Griffin, i am desensitized to alot of wierd stuff!
GRIFFIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #19
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: stock
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Dude, you might want to do some research on this. Not requiring an "Over 21 Signature Required" alone can probably get you in trouble if something happens. I don't know much about it, but I do know that there are a lot of states that regulate what can and cannot be shipped in as far as alcohol goes. I did some research over the years when I was ordering wines that I wanted to purchase. Went fine, but I do know that under no circumstances would they ship alcohol without a signature required for someone over 21 (obviously)

This is a pretty common thing now with all the micro brews being regional. BeerAdvocate has a pretty busy beer trade message board. How else am j going to get my hands on 3 Floyds, southern tier, Lawson's, etc.?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 02-27-2015, 03:51 PM   #20
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl, no roof
So are we actually going to send sh1t or just talk about it.

Here's a list of what I have and can get access to:
- New Glarus (I still have an Oktoberfest from this past year that is fvcking amazing)
- Surly
- Summit
- Flat Earth (my favorite local)
- Fulton
- Indeed
- Third Street

I can ship 3 bottles/cans.

PS another way to do it is to enclose a small paper cup with something in it that makes noise to disguise the sounds and/or take attention away from the box.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote