E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-25-2016, 11:42 AM   #1
benzfreak

My Ride: my ride
Becoming a watch collector and learning about watches

Hey guys, so I've always loved watches, and now that I am more mature and have disposable income, I want to start a watch collection. I already have two and over the years would like to continue to add to this.

The one thing however is I am not a master of knowledge on automatic watch movements. Difference between jewels, hertz, vibrations, etc... I would love to learn more about it so when I look at watches I can differentiate the movements on them. Anyone have a website or book where. They go into detail on the movements of watches and how to tell a good one from. A bad one etc... I know a little bit but not enough to differentiate between different brands.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:44 PM   #2
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
Www.watchuseek.com is a good forum to peruse.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:01 PM   #3
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Libraries are usually a wealth of knowledge.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 04:04 PM   #4
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Usually watch collectors have a preference of watch for whatever reason, so first, determine which watch brand you like the most and learn the history. Then learn the important models, etc. Watch collecting isn't about getting expensive watches, but watches that are rare, have a story, have interesting new concepts, and retain/appreciate in value.
Old 11-26-2016, 07:52 PM   #5
slowturbo

My Ride: Audi S3
I do not and have never owned multiple watches from the same brand. Not to say I wont moving forward, but to me I always thought about collecting in terms of function. Maybe you want a rugged every day watch on a bracelet to go with a dressier watch on a leather strap. You might also want a mix of watch faces with different styles, sizes, complications, or colors.

When it comes to movements themselves, in-house movements are almost always more expensive and more highly regarded in the watch world. Some people do not want to pay 5k for a watch that has the same off the shelf internals as a watch that costs 1500. That never bothered me, because getting a workhorse movement like a 7750 in a watch is like having an LS motor in a car. Reliable workhorse that is accurate and easy to service/maintain. Try to think about factors that are most important to you and then Im sure some members on here will be able to provide you with meaningful recommendations.

Past:
-2005 VW Touareg V8/1991 318i/2011 328xi/2002 325i/2007 335i Turbo tuned/2004 A4 1.8T GIAC 1+
slowturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:11 PM   #6
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
www.timezone.com forums are great too

btw...these look pretty good for a partnership watch...lol.
Ball is good stuff.

http://www.ballwatch.com/bmw/index.p...ons&lang=en_US

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies

Last edited by Fisch330ciTopasBlau; 11-26-2016 at 08:15 PM.
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 08:24 PM   #7
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
You should collect used fleshlights instead.
Old 11-26-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
Brucifer325
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Stauer.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:17 AM   #9
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
Becoming a watch collector and learning about watches

Orient Mako USA. Automatic, great movement. I believe it's made in house. Resembles a Rolex submariner. Many variants avail, pickup a nato strap or 2 to change up the look once in awhile. Seiko also has great automatic watches avail. Both brands very affordable, yet quality. If you have the budget check out the Rolex Submariner or DateJust 1 or 2. Or stop being a bitch and buy a Patek Phillipe Nautilus 5980.

Last edited by GasKing; 11-28-2016 at 12:24 AM.
GasKing is offline   Reply With Quote