E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Old 01-07-2012, 06:05 PM   #201
jmcdolej

My Ride: 328i-GONE ;(
Well I am gonna finish the jw black tonight. I will try the Mcallan 12 next. Right now I have a blue moon winter ale in one hand the jw in the other playoff football on and a fresh creole butter injected deep fried turkey.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...670&highlight=

The story of the "thing" in my sig!!!!!!
jmcdolej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #202
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcdolej View Post
Well I am gonna finish the jw black tonight. I will try the Mcallan 12 next. Right now I have a blue moon winter ale in one hand the jw in the other playoff football on and a fresh creole butter injected deep fried turkey.
Opened my bottle from xmas last night, a little disappointed. Favorite so far has been glenfiddich.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM   #203
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
Disappointed with the Macallan 12? Prefer Glenfiddich? Really??
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:40 AM   #204
Loose_cannon

My Ride: 2001 325ci
^ seriously, i mean i know it all comes down to personal preference but man macallan 12 is just amazing. Maybe its the way you took it?? neat ?? or on the rocks ??? personally i think macallan is so exceptional i drink it neat with a dash of chilled water.
Loose_cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:04 AM   #205
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToblack View Post
Yes that was the word I was looking for. I hate the peaty ones.
lol try laphroiag then... you won't think the glenfiddich is peaty after you have that

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefano View Post
great thread....anyway, i just started appreciating single malt scotch lately (must be the age) ....and got a Macallan 12 and Highland Park 15....The HP 15 is good but I really liked the Macallan 12....knowing that, what's a good step up to try next?

and for those with experience with bourbon......what other bourbon would you recommend if i prefer Black Maple Hill (a lot) over Woodford Reserve....appreciate the help...looking to stock up
if you want to step it up from the mac 12, go with Oban 14, Mac 15, Balvenie 12 or 15, and Glenmorangie 15.
Old 01-08-2012, 09:52 PM   #206
Adamo99

My Ride: 330Ci vert
^^ or the Macallan 18
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #207
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
^^ or the Macallan 18
i figured the $60-$80 range might be a little bit better fit than $160 lol
Old 01-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #208
Carskibum

My Ride: E90
Send a message via AIM to Carskibum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose_cannon View Post
^ seriously, i mean i know it all comes down to personal preference but man macallan 12 is just amazing. Maybe its the way you took it?? neat ?? or on the rocks ??? personally i think macallan is so exceptional i drink it neat with a dash of chilled water.
I cube each. I guess it just comes down to personal taste
Old 01-09-2012, 08:12 AM   #209
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carskibum View Post
I cube each. I guess it just comes down to personal taste
you sound like you would really enjoy a Glenlevit Nadurra. You enjoy more serious scotches, no?
Old 01-09-2012, 02:49 PM   #210
PEZi720

My Ride: PPIHC Racecars
Quote:
Originally Posted by express705 View Post
some stranahans colorado whiskey.

LOVE living as close as I do to the distillery. The liquor store I work at sells it as quickly as we get it in, as well.

Speaking of Scotch, however... I have a bottle of Johnnie Double Black for this coming Wednesday with some friends.

And also scotch related, but on a completely different note, I have a bottle of the Brew Dog Tactical Nuclear Penguin which was aged 18 months in Scotch casks... this one will continue aging for cracking upon my graduation.

Last edited by PEZi720; 01-09-2012 at 02:53 PM.
PEZi720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:09 PM   #211
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by FadeToblack View Post
I don't know how Glenfiddich is so popular and available at every bar. Way too strong of a taste.

I stick to Mcallan and Oban.

Stay away from the blends like Johnny Walker and others. All just a bunch of marketing. Single Malt is the only way to go.
First: Is JJR really in here talking to you in a civil manner in an OT thread? Did you two kiss and make up over the new year?

Second: To make the claim that Johnnie Walker is just a bunch of marketing is childish. I've been to several Johnnie Walker Black and Gold tastings that was 100% free (yeah, they're marketing me in hopes that I buy their scotch, but the entire event, and all the scotch was 100% free). During this tasting, once you go into the dining hall, there is a place mat set up for every single person there. When it was for Johnnie Black, they had 6 shots lined up on the place mat. I think it was 5 single malts that combine to make JW Black, and then a shot of JW Black itself. The entire tasting process goes through each single malt, outlining the distinct characteristics they were looking for in each for the blend. Smoothness of the highland single malt, peatiness of the speyside, etc, and then once you are done tasting and savoring the single's (all of which are F"N outstanding), you taste the JW black and you can truly see how when it's all blended together, you get a lot of the good characteristics, and can weed out the bad ones (too much bite on the tongue, or trickling down the throat, too much harsh peatiness, or too much of an alcohol note). It really opened up my mind to blended scotches.

Still though, I prefer a good single malt with the characteristics that I like, rather than the blend. But you need to understand why blends exist before telling people to stay away from the blends. Not like anyone would really listen to you though.
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #212
rover220

My Ride: Golf MK VI GT
I too drink mostly single malts but there are some blendeds that are very nice indeed.

I just recently bought one called Islay Mist, blended from some of the nicer single malts, most notably Laphroaig. Very nice taste, not quite as peaty as the Islay wiskeys can be.
rover220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:43 PM   #213
bimmerCi

My Ride: bmw
Cool thread... I was recently given this bottle for my efforts at work.

I'm usually a Macallan drinker... Have had the 12, Fine Oak 15, Fine Oak 17, 18, and Fine Oak 21.

If I'm at a bar I'll usually get Black Label on the rocks... Can't drink Red Label, and would never buy myself Gold or Blue.

Anyway, I'll post again once I've cracked the Dalmore. Saving the first pour for a special occasion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1326155902.596293.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	431825  
bimmerCi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:55 PM   #214
Mike Larry

My Ride: 575 nello
is scotch any cheaper in the uk, seeing as how it's not imported? maybe i should go real scotch crazy since im living in london for a couple of months
Old 01-09-2012, 07:38 PM   #215
RenJ

My Ride: 2008 V36
Bought some Famous Grouse tonight, suggested as a blended to try by my uncle, since we knows how much I enjoy my Macallan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
In fact, when I am not in the mood for another cocktail (vodka) I will fill a highball glass packed with ice, 1/2 johnny black and 1/2 perrier. take a few sips, put some more ice cubes in it, and drink away. there isn't even an 1/8 of an inch at the bottom of the glass of room, literally ice top to bottom.
After tasting a small glass neat to get a sense of it, this is exactly how I'm drinking the FG tonight during the game.

Any suggestions of a must try in the $50-$80? My typical go to's are Macallan 12, Cask Strength or Glenmorangie 12 sherry cask.
RenJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:17 PM   #216
TayloMade[07]

My Ride: '12 Frontier Pro-4x
Old 01-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #217
trizzuth

My Ride: gobbles oil like a B
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenJ View Post
Bought some Famous Grouse tonight, suggested as a blended to try by my uncle, since we knows how much I enjoy my Macallan.

After tasting a small glass neat to get a sense of it, this is exactly how I'm drinking the FG tonight during the game.

Any suggestions of a must try in the $50-$80? My typical go to's are Macallan 12, Cask Strength or Glenmorangie 12 sherry cask.
Try cardhu if you can find it, it's the tastiest single malt in jw black, or you can't go wrong with oban....

Or you could always buy two 1.75's of McLellend's highland
Old 01-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #218
Wes

Anybody have any experience with High West whiskey?
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #219
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
First: Is JJR really in here talking to you in a civil manner in an OT thread? Did you two kiss and make up over the new year?

Second: To make the claim that Johnnie Walker is just a bunch of marketing is childish. I've been to several Johnnie Walker Black and Gold tastings that was 100% free (yeah, they're marketing me in hopes that I buy their scotch, but the entire event, and all the scotch was 100% free). During this tasting, once you go into the dining hall, there is a place mat set up for every single person there. When it was for Johnnie Black, they had 6 shots lined up on the place mat. I think it was 5 single malts that combine to make JW Black, and then a shot of JW Black itself. The entire tasting process goes through each single malt, outlining the distinct characteristics they were looking for in each for the blend. Smoothness of the highland single malt, peatiness of the speyside, etc, and then once you are done tasting and savoring the single's (all of which are F"N outstanding), you taste the JW black and you can truly see how when it's all blended together, you get a lot of the good characteristics, and can weed out the bad ones (too much bite on the tongue, or trickling down the throat, too much harsh peatiness, or too much of an alcohol note). It really opened up my mind to blended scotches.

Still though, I prefer a good single malt with the characteristics that I like, rather than the blend. But you need to understand why blends exist before telling people to stay away from the blends. Not like anyone would really listen to you though.
lol... everyone is in good company in this thread, this is scotch we are talking about here...

overall i think johnny walker is just overrated in every scotch that they offer, in the sense that they are the most "popular" and marketed as the best. i know blends are not as bad as people make them out to be, and i completely understand how that tasting made you open up your eyes, but comparing quality, smoothness, etc... Johnny Green is the only one i feel is worth the money. Red is garbage, Black is ok but for $50 you can easily get something better.. Gold, i feel should cost less than the Green, and as stated before, the Blue is about $100 overpriced.

I have been on the single malt kick for a while now... besides JW, do you have any other blended suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenJ View Post

I will stand by Oban for $70ish... but if you want to go a little cheaper, check out The Balvenie. Amazing scotch.

How was the scotch/perrier? Awesome simple cocktail to drink throughout the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TayloMade[07] View Post
hahaaaaaaa so funny
Old 01-15-2012, 01:52 AM   #220
slysloth

My Ride: 2000 328i
i'll just leave this scotch and cognac menu here for you guys to peruse.....
http://www.coronacigar.com/editorFil...own%20menu.pdf
passed thru this place while down in orlando for the gamecocks/cornhuskers in the capitol one citrus bowl. i was blown away by what they had on the menu.

dont know about spending 900 bones for an ounce of 55 year old macallan though......

Last edited by slysloth; 01-16-2012 at 12:53 AM.
slysloth is offline   Reply With Quote