E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 10-24-2011, 11:26 PM   #61
jailonacs99

My Ride: 2011 335is
Old 10-24-2011, 11:40 PM   #62
rkhettry23

My Ride: Has2Turbos & X-Drive
Quote:
Place about two ounces of single malt in a 12 oz. brandy snifter.

Swirl the contents three or four times.

Place the nose about twelve inches above the rim of the glass and sniff lightly as you slowly move your nose closer or farther from the rim of the glass.

Swirl the whisky again and smell again.

Now that you have found the "correct" distance for YOUR nose and THIS particular single malt, place about a half-teaspoon of good quality, room temperature water in the single malt. I keep a bottle of such in my single malt cabinet. Now quickly swirl the contents a couple of times and nose again. If the whisky has much character, you will now most likely have to move your glass farther from your nose. There may be an intense release of aromas from the malt- or maybe not so intense. This robust release of aromas is due to the old Chemistry 104 term called "heat of solution." In effect, this rule states that when two chemicals are mixed, they may "take on" or "release" energy, thus becoming cooler or warmer. In the case of a whisky and water mix, the solution becomes slightly warmer, thus releasing the ethyl alcohols which contain much of the aroma of the single malt. The "nosing" step of appreciating the single malt is very important. There are 32 primary aromas, but only four primary tastes (via the tongue). Taste is influenced by the sense of smell for more than most people are aware.

At this point, take a small sip (3/4 to 1 teaspoonful) of the single malt into your mouth and allow it to coat the tongue and mouth well (no mouthwash swishing, now). Swallow slowly and envision the "Bell Curve" (you would expect a "Bell Curve" comparison from a professor, huh?) as the intensity of the flavor builds to a pinnacle and then declines. The more flavor and the longer it takes for the flavor to reach its flavor peak, the "taller" the "bell" will be.

The length of time it takes the flavor to reach its peak, and the longer the flavor lasts after it attains the peak (referred to as the "finish" or "after-taste"), the broader the Bell will be. With careful attention and regular practice, a great deal of information concerning the idiosyncrasies of single malts can be learned. More importantly, however, is the tremendous level of appreciation for the single malt that will occur. The incomparable single malt was never meant to be "drank," like other liquids. It was meant to be savored and "experienced." In fact, if one takes the time to get educated concerning the taste, history and mystique of the Scotch single malt, they may come to actually revere it. To "chug" a Scotch single malt is sacrilege, and I distance myself from such an uncouth individual as quickly as possible before the historically, well-documented, McCoy Celtic ire is aroused.

I strongly recommend that the Scotch single malt be "approached" in the same manner that one would a member of the opposite sex that may intrigue you. An open mind, patience, sincere attention to detail and an opportunity for it to reveal and exhibit its unique special qualities may disclose an "individual" whose company you can enjoy on many occasions. It could also be that you will meet that individual who you will want to spend a lifetime with. That's what The Scotch Doc thinks. What is your opinion?
http://www.scotchdoc.com/tsd/ask/index.html

2002 325xi--Parted Out
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #63
dronell19
JDM - Style

My Ride: is sold
Send a message via MSN to dronell19
My friends and I have been exploring Japanese whiskey lately. So far I'm liking Yamazaki 12yo single malt and Suntory Hibiki 17yo blended.

Other brands I enjoy: Macallan Whiskey Maker Editions, Macallan 18, Glenlivet 12
I have a few other bottles in my cabinet that I've yet to try

Gone but never forgotten; E46Fanatics first Arqray+Strassentech combo

Last edited by dronell19; 10-24-2011 at 11:49 PM.
dronell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:17 AM   #64
scott0482

My Ride: 2001 530i
Send a message via AIM to scott0482
This is what I had a few months ago.
I moved and threw out all of those bottles, and haven't bought much liquor since. Been drinking beer more.

Last edited by scott0482; 10-25-2011 at 12:18 AM.
scott0482 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:22 AM   #65
Fisch330ciTopasBlau
Yes...I do think I hate you

My Ride: A car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dronell19 View Post
My friends and I have been exploring Japanese whiskey lately. So far I'm liking Yamazaki 12yo single malt and Suntory Hibiki 17yo blended.

Other brands I enjoy: Macallan Whiskey Maker Editions, Macallan 18, Glenlivet 12
I have a few other bottles in my cabinet that I've yet to try
Nice, I hear some of the japanese whiskeys are good. I haven't bought a bottle ever but at the japanese bar I used to hit when I lived near Little Tokyo,LA,CA I'd get japanese whiskey mixed with iced tea. A combo I still like to this day but I use Crown Royal instead.

-8/21/2007 RIP Grandma
-pessimum genus inimicorum laudantes: flatterers are the worst type of enemies
Fisch330ciTopasBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #66
Wes

Ha, interestingly enough, I bought a bottle of Yamakazi 12 year today. I've been reading up a lot on Japanese whisky.

So far so good. It's really enjoyable.
Wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:56 AM   #67
dronell19
JDM - Style

My Ride: is sold
Send a message via MSN to dronell19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes View Post
Ha, interestingly enough, I bought a bottle of Yamakazi 12 year today. I've been reading up a lot on Japanese whisky.

So far so good. It's really enjoyable.

Open that bottle and enjoy, buddy

I had mine with a single ice cube or just a dash of water.

Gone but never forgotten; E46Fanatics first Arqray+Strassentech combo
dronell19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:44 AM   #68
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Hey, I'm glad this thread didn't turn into a pissing contest of who drinks more expensive sh*t. On the downside, it's making me want to go out and buy whiskey and the last thing I need now is MORE drinking...
Old 10-25-2011, 07:45 AM   #69
'busa

My Ride: E90 335i (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott0482 View Post
This is what I had a few months ago.
I moved and threw out all of those bottles, and haven't bought much liquor since. Been drinking beer more.

Jefferson's! I've had that recently! Nice, but I prefer Woodford Reserve!
Old 10-25-2011, 07:56 AM   #70
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
this stuff is my favorite.

^ DD.
roastbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:19 AM   #71
M3simy

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3
Nice a scotch/whisky thread!!! I stay in scotland in a place called keith, which is right on the malt whisky trail!!! Nothin better than a Balvenie 15, maybe 10ml of water, 3 ice cubes in a glass which has been in the freezer for 15 mins, it takes ur breath away!!! Ecspecially after giving the e46 m3 a good beatin, thirsty work you know!!!
M3simy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #72
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
so you drink a crap load of scotch then you go beat the shiit out of your m3?

Old 10-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #73
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:57 AM   #74
Ky///m3

My Ride: 1988 E30 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'busa View Post
These three have been just fine for me lately:

this is a scotch thread.....bourbon belongs in its own thread

2006 E46 M3 HPF stg II SOLD
1988 E30 M3 Touring Class
1995 E36 M3 I-Prepared Class
Ky///m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:41 AM   #75
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
I turn 21 tomorrow...I'll let you know.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 09:46 AM   #76
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3simy View Post
Nice a scotch/whisky thread!!! I stay in scotland in a place called keith, which is right on the malt whisky trail!!! Nothin better than a Balvenie 15, maybe 10ml of water, 3 ice cubes in a glass which has been in the freezer for 15 mins, it takes ur breath away!!! Ecspecially after giving the e46 m3 a good beatin, thirsty work you know!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
so you drink a crap load of scotch then you go beat the shiit out of your m3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
start drinking specialty beers too, now that youre of age, youll tend to enjoy the flavors of alcohol more rather than just the consumption
The whole business of politics has been effectively subcontracted out to a band of professionals. Money people, outreach people, message people, research people. The rest of us are meant to feel like amateurs. In the sense of suckers. We become demotivated to learn more about how things work. We begin to opt out.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 10:02 AM   #77
BLAU III

My Ride: eat's cars.
sub'd for later.

I got spoiled, last year my boss bought me a bottle of blue, nothing has come close but I can't be spending that much on scotch just yet...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CollinsE90 View Post
I would battle a pack of wolverines in a porta potty with my hand tied behind my back, yielding nothing but a shake weight taped to my forehead, just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.
BLAU III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #78
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ky///m3 View Post
VERY nice my friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Matt View Post
happy bday bud, enjoy
you will hate it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post

start drinking specialty beers too, now that youre of age, youll tend to enjoy the flavors of alcohol more rather than just the consumption

Fantome Saisons from Belgiam
Wiehenstephaner Weissebier from Germany
Gulden Draak from Hell's Brewery LOL
Flying Dog Double Pale Ale
Dogfish Head Punkin Ale

ok back to scotchitty scotchy scotch scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAU III View Post
sub'd for later.

I got spoiled, last year my boss bought me a bottle of blue, nothing has come close but I can't be spending that much on scotch just yet...
Blue is one of the smoothest scotches I have had, however you can get bottles equally as good for half the price, literally. Stick with something cheaper for now, that way when you try 15 and 18 year scotches you'll appreciate them more
Old 10-25-2011, 01:17 PM   #79
M3simy

My Ride: Bmw e46 m3
No no, beat the crap out of the m3 on saturday, then in the evening after having hard day of enjoying my bmw i just crack into a bottle of scotch!!!! I cant wait for saturday to come around again!!! Sunday mornins suck though!!!!
M3simy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 01:40 PM   #80
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3simy View Post
No no, beat the crap out of the m3 on saturday, then in the evening after having hard day of enjoying my bmw i just crack into a bottle of scotch!!!! I cant wait for saturday to come around again!!! Sunday mornins suck though!!!!
my interpretation was better, i would suggest you try that method out lol