E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
Does anyone here have an intercooler on there VF stage 1 kit?.

So I'm wondering if I'll either be the only one whos going to do this or not. I hope I'm not because I could really use some fitment help right now.
I'm looking to build a front mount intercooler kit for my VF-Engineering stage 1kit on my car. Now Everything looks like it's an easy fit. Just cut some plastic in the bumper here and there and remove front air duct etc.. not to hard. The challenge is in the throttle body/intake manifold area. There's like absolutely no room there and I just don't see how in the heck I'm going to fit this. I'm obviously going to have to completely remove the piece made by VF that connects the SC to the throttle body. I'll have to build my own part for this. So I'm wondering if anyone has ever made a kit for this?. Or for something similar?. This is going to be a challenge.
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:49 PM   #2
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
I had a mister taylor here in my building that wanted to get it done with no success, he was opting for some kind of water/maybe methonal spray into his manifold to cool the charge but it never happened.

their vaporware stage 2(for non m) is built with water to air manfold in mind(like the m version) when they showed development pictures back in like 04, as you know intercooler pipes will not fit within the space.

just enjoy it as is or sell it and pick up another kit.

"We've come a long long way together. Through the hard times and the good.
I have to celebrate you baby,.. I have to priase you like I should.."
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i sedan (E46)
intercoolers dont always benefit, some kits made to run without or made to run with a small one will actually run worse with one or if you put one on that is to big
Old 10-24-2011, 04:26 PM   #4
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
I had a mister taylor here in my building that wanted to get it done with no success, he was opting for some kind of water/maybe methonal spray into his manifold to cool the charge but it never happened.

their vaporware stage 2(for non m) is built with water to air manfold in mind(like the m version) when they showed development pictures back in like 04, as you know intercooler pipes will not fit within the space.

just enjoy it as is or sell it and pick up another kit.
I have a water/methonal injection kit sitting in my closet I could have installed. I'd just way rather get a intercooler kit built. It's more self efficient.
As I said I believe the challenge will be fitting the piping into the throttle area. Now the plasic hardware that VF built to go from the supercharger to throttle body is actually a little bit over sized. Which will then free up more room for a custom fitted pipe. There's also a power steering hose bellow that can be relocated with a longer hose creating more room. I believe it's very doable. But I hope that some one on here has already done this so I can learn from there mistakes and how they got it to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
intercoolers dont always benefit, some kits made to run without or made to run with a small one will actually run worse with one or if you put one on that is to big
Well in order to compensate for the intercooler I will be putting a smaller pulley on. I've already done the calculations with Vortech themselfs and being that I'm on sea level I'll be getting a very good benefit out of this. The size of the intercooler will have to stay pretty small. About 27" wide 7" high 3 or 4" deep for optimal preformance.
Old 10-24-2011, 06:27 PM   #5
BDUB328I

sounds like you did your research, y not just get a generic intercooler and make some custom piping for it?
Old 10-24-2011, 07:36 PM   #6
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDUB328I View Post
sounds like you did your research, y not just get a generic intercooler and make some custom piping for it?
That's my plan ultimately. But I'm not the best welder around LOL.
I think I'll mostly need help fitting the bypass valve hose/valve and drilling the hole into the newly made throttle body piece into the supercharger.
One thing I'm also concerned about is being able to take it apart easy so I can still work on my own car

I haven't looked yet but it looks like what active autowerke uses on there stage 2 kits for the E46 328i should fit and be perfect for what I'm trying to do.
Anyone know what type of intercooler/size it is they use on those?. I like how the intercooler inlet and outlet is also bending towards the engine which already makes it easy to route the piping. Rather then getting one that is straight out one end and straight out the other. More pipe bending.. more problems lol.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:10 AM   #7
MalibuMafiaV

Just wanted to give everyone an update so if they ever want to do this upgrade. The fitting of the intercooler will be done next week or so. Piping should be done by the end of next week. I will post pictures and document as much as I can for future reference for anyone.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:32 AM   #8
BDUB328I

sounds good interested to see the finished product
Old 11-01-2011, 12:57 PM   #9
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuMafiaV View Post
I'm looking to build a front mount intercooler kit for my VF-Engineering stage 1kit on my car.
Why? Just get the VF aftercooler to put in your intake. It is far more efficient. Will work better and be far cheaper and easier to install.

The VF aftercooler works better than a FMIC. Water cooled is always more efficient.

EDIT: NM.. just noticed this is prolly not for an M3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.

Last edited by faelar; 11-01-2011 at 12:58 PM.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 01:23 PM   #10
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by faelar View Post
Why? Just get the VF aftercooler to put in your intake. It is far more efficient. Will work better and be far cheaper and easier to install.

The VF aftercooler works better than a FMIC. Water cooled is always more efficient.

EDIT: NM.. just noticed this is prolly not for an M3.
Yup. It's for a 328i . I definitely would of gone the route you said though if it was an M3 lol.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
VF water intercooler is not better than a FMIC I have a pic of a lazer temp showing my water was flowing through at over 90 degrees when it was 72 outside. Heat soak from the motor heats up the water tank, thus heating up the water flowing through the intake causing the air temp to rise. They need a way to cool the reservoir down. OP post pics when your done!
Old 11-01-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forcefed M3 View Post
VF water intercooler is not better than a FMIC I have a pic of a lazer temp showing my water was flowing through at over 90 degrees when it was 72 outside. Heat soak from the motor heats up the water tank, thus heating up the water flowing through the intake causing the air temp to rise. They need a way to cool the reservoir down. OP post pics when your done!
Will do!.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 PM   #13
faelar
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: M3
Quote:
VF water intercooler is not better than a FMIC I have a pic of a lazer temp showing my water was flowing through at over 90 degrees when it was 72 outside.
A "lazer" you say huh? Were you shooting that "lazer" while air was flowing over the radiator at speed?

I didn't have a "lazer" but I did have a PLX Devices dash mount that monitored real time AIT's from inside the car through the OBDII port. I could even do charts with it. My temps were always quite a bit lower than ambient while moving air through the aftercooler. Sitting in traffic? yeah it would heat soak, but so would a FMIC too. In fact, metal takes longer to cool, water dissipates heat faster.. this is called science.

You realize the portion that cools is inside the intake, not in the front? That's where the heat is dissipated.. Epic fail in understanding how an aftercooler works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saad@SaadRacing View Post
Chad's car is being taken care of and I can tell you when it comes back he and his car will be your worst f***ing nightmare.

Last edited by faelar; 11-01-2011 at 09:06 PM.
faelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:40 PM   #14
Forcefed M3

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.75
Quote:
Originally Posted by faelar View Post
A "lazer" you say huh? Were you shooting that "lazer" while air was flowing over the radiator at speed?

I didn't have a "lazer" but I did have a PLX Devices dash mount that monitored real time AIT's from inside the car through the OBDII port. I could even do charts with it. My temps were always quite a bit lower than ambient while moving air through the aftercooler. Sitting in traffic? yeah it would heat soak, but so would a FMIC too. In fact, metal takes longer to cool, water dissipates heat faster.. this is called science.

You realize the portion that cools is inside the intake, not in the front? That's where the heat is dissipated.. Epic fail in understanding how an aftercooler works.
I realize how it works just fine and that the VF kit failed to maintain tank at ambiant temp. Your PLX device measured water temp?? No! The 2nd law of thermal dynamics states you can't get below ambiant air temp. Oh you got me on a miss spelled word...I would love to see a VF car go below ambiant air temp, that would be breaking a law of physics.

Last edited by Forcefed M3; 11-01-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Forcefed M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 PM   #15
Recon2005

My Ride: VF-E 328Ci & 325 E90
Sub'd...def post pics op

Vortech // Magnaflow // Hotchkis // H&R

Quote:
Could not agree more. I enjoyed my vf kit to the day I took it off. VF best s/c out there. Period
Recon2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon2005 View Post
Sub'd...def post pics op
Oh I shall!
Old 11-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #17
MalibuMafiaV

Just wanted to post and tell you guys I haven't forgotten about this thread. It's a bit more work than I expected but it's going well. I will get pics up as I promised when I can. In order to make all the piping fit especially the discharge side. Cutting and re-welding a pipe onto the actual supercharger to point it towards the front of the car was needed. it's simply impossible to fit the piping the way the supercharger is built to point towards the throttle body. As for mounting the intercooler that went well.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:46 PM   #18
MalibuMafiaV

Old 11-22-2011, 11:13 AM   #19
MalibuMafiaV

Update: piping is getting powder coated today. Kit should be complete this week I hope.
I changed my DISA valve yesterday and WOW good timing. When I took the old one out, the pin was halfway sticking out about to fall off and the flap was cracked!.
Old 11-24-2011, 08:46 AM   #20
332xi

My Ride: too fast e46/330xi
please post more pics!!

great thread, op!
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote