E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-30-2011, 04:45 PM   #21
MalibuMafiaV

My Ride: SCed E46 & E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 332xi View Post
please post more pics!!

great thread, op!
Will do soon. I believe I'll have it all finished today with pics up by tonight
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
MalibuMafiaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 09:43 PM   #22
MalibuMafiaV

Thank you to Giancarlo at B-line motorspots!. Amazing work and amazing how you fit it all in the small engine bay. Engine bay has to be cleaned I KNOW. But I probably wont clean it. Why? because daily driver.
SO here it is guys. I'll get videos this weekend after I fix my leaks etc.

2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 12-13-2011, 03:56 AM   #23
332xi

My Ride: too fast e46/330xi

that looks so clean!! and that work looks amazing!! just have a couple questions tho...

-how much did that cost?
-what if you need a rebuild, i don't think vortech would touch that unit now?
-won't the tubing get too hot where it runs up the vanos side of the engine?
-what power gains have you noticed?
-and if all is well, does your shop have a cast molding of the outlet side they could sell?

i currently run a cooling mist meth, and AA iso alc kit to cool my intake... works pretty good, but i'd love to add this system if it's actually that beneficial.

thanks!!!
332xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:55 AM   #24
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
Wow Congrats!!

Will the tuning adapt to more PS I ?

Excellent progress thank you so much for sharing

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:18 AM   #25
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
stupid question but i was wondering whether the VF stage1 comes with any intercooler/aftercooler?
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 11:40 AM   #26
MachRc
E46Fanatic

the non-M kit vf made never had any intercooler or aftercooler built for it, thats whay malibu just made his own.

like some of the early kits like prima and even early ASA kits had their own "starter" kits which was strapping on a blower at 6psi with no additional cooling as it was told to consumers that at 6 psi it would be fine.

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
Old 12-13-2011, 06:05 PM   #27
flashmeow
Banned User

My Ride: E30-E46-E90-E90M-F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by MachRc View Post
the non-M kit vf made never had any intercooler or aftercooler built for it, thats whay malibu just made his own.

like some of the early kits like prima and even early ASA kits had their own "starter" kits which was strapping on a blower at 6psi with no additional cooling as it was told to consumers that at 6 psi it would be fine.
cool thanx for the info. do you think it is safe to run at 6PSI without a cooler? I know that the ESS TS1 doesn't have a cooler either.
flashmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 06:55 PM   #28
MachRc
E46Fanatic

not to derail the thread, it has to do with temperature. Im sure it even goes beyond that and IAT and a bunch of figures.

you have people who believe you need some sort of cooling at any psi

and

those who say it is safe enough to boost at certain levels.

these stage one kits is right in the middle.

Between 6, 8, 9.5 psi on the m54 on a ASA centrifugal supercharger I mostly saw alot of oil temperature change.

oil coolers and intercoolers are a great way to keep the intake charge/engine oil temps cool, or atleast steadly under control than getting hotter"heatsoaked"

For more boost than recommend by by kit maker, malibu is try to obtaining more power with his new added intercooler.

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
Old 12-13-2011, 07:07 PM   #29
332xi

Quote:
Wow Congrats!!

wouldn't the added piping and intercooler drop the psi not give it more?
Old 12-13-2011, 07:20 PM   #30
jtrejo

My Ride: e46 m3
Quote:
also wouldnt it heat back up going along then over motor?
Old 12-14-2011, 02:43 PM   #31
MalibuMafiaV

First off I would like to say thank you guys for the compliments and what not. Sorry I haven't been able to reply until now. I've been quite busy. As my stock diff just exploded and I'm now putting in a 3.64 diff instead of the stock 3.46. Moving on....

Quote:

that looks so clean!! and that work looks amazing!! just have a couple questions tho...

-how much did that cost?
-what if you need a rebuild, i don't think vortech would touch that unit now?
-won't the tubing get too hot where it runs up the vanos side of the engine?
-what power gains have you noticed?
-and if all is well, does your shop have a cast molding of the outlet side they could sell?

i currently run a cooling mist meth, and AA iso alc kit to cool my intake... works pretty good, but i'd love to add this system if it's actually that beneficial.

thanks!!!
The cost of everything was about $1,400 in the end. I did a lot of the measuring myself. had the pipes welded for me and painted for me. Luckily I know one of the co owners of Paxton/vortech so getting the supercharger rebuilt is not a worry. Although I still think they would rebuilt it no problem as long as you have the money. The only thing that was changed was the the direction of the outlet pipe. Nothing internally was touched. I switched a 2.78 pulley. My old dyno was 347whp and now it's up to 363whp. It has made a big difference in intake temps. I would have to be home to look at what we tested and wrote down. But all in all I'm very happy with how it turned out. And I do recommend it if you have the time and money.

Quote:
Wow Congrats!!

Thanks!. So far its seemed to adjust just fine. Haven't had an issue other then my diff exploding cuz of it being beatin to hell and 178k miles lol.

Quote:
Yes this is correct. But that is why I put on a a different pulley to put it back to where it should be. But honestly when we tested it. it only dropped about 0.5 psi. Not even a noticable difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtrejo View Post
also wouldnt it heat back up going along then over motor?
There wasn't really any other way to make this kit fit properly with the 2.5" pipes. Even going under the engine would of caused many problems since the car is lowered and as we all know. There is absolutely no room in our engine bays lol. The hood vents have really helped the cooling as well. So if you have a boosted car I highly recommend a GTR type hood to help.

Here is a video I made to show people where the bypass valve was reolcated. And of course to hear the beautiful sounds.

Also here is a before picture you guys can look at to see how the super charger was cut and re-welded to change the direction of the charge pipe.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 12-14-2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-14-2011, 02:54 PM   #32
Beedub

My Ride: bmw z4m vt2-525
nice work!!!! love what youve done!! respect for trying something slightly out of the box here... i can definatly see what your trying to achieve, im guessing even with the pipe that runs over the engine AITs should be significantly lower imo...
Old 12-14-2011, 02:56 PM   #33
MalibuMafiaV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beedub View Post
nice work!!!! love what youve done!! respect for trying something slightly out of the box here... i can definatly see what your trying to achieve, im guessing even with the pipe that runs over the engine AITs should be significantly lower imo...
Thank you!. Oh yeah! it was a huge difference believe it or not with the intake temps. When I get home I will definitely look at the paper and post the accurate numbers. I don't want to just guess them and post bad information for us enthusiasts lol.
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD
Old 12-21-2011, 01:18 AM   #34
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
so op you have a 330 correct? and your running a vf stage what kit? sounds like a stage 1 plus intercooler but that setup really puts out 345 whp? hard to imagine stage 1 producing that much
Old 12-22-2011, 12:36 AM   #35
brycerichert

My Ride: SC'd e46 & 2011 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
so op you have a 330 correct? and your running a vf stage what kit? sounds like a stage 1 plus intercooler but that setup really puts out 345 whp? hard to imagine stage 1 producing that much
I'd like to know too. Mine only put down 270 at the wheels on the 328i kit.

Nice work OP!

Track car: 2011 GT 5.0

E46 328i
RIP - VF blown w/meth inj. - ucc sways - TC Kline S/A - staggered
brycerichert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #36
332xi

if all you guys read his thread, you would see that he dropped his pulley size to compensate for the lost pressure. that's why the op has such high whp. if he got a dyno tune i bet he'd gain at least 30 more!

op! did you get your car back yet? i would love to get my hands on those specs for the intercooler!

thanks, again!!
Old 12-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #37
brycerichert

Quote:
if all you guys read his thread, you would see that he dropped his pulley size to compensate for the lost pressure. that's why the op has such high whp. if he got a dyno tune i bet he'd gain at least 30 more!

op! did you get your car back yet? i would love to get my hands on those specs for the intercooler!

thanks, again!!
Before dropping pulley size he said he only had .5 psi drop with the tubing I thought. ?? . there is something else involved with 5.5-6 psi on the 328.

What psi after the pulley? Even 7-8 on a smaller pulley makes it hard to see that, although I must be missing something obvious then.

E46 328i
Old 12-23-2011, 07:01 AM   #38
332xi

well, i have a 330, and when i had a 3.6 pulley i was only pushing 5.5 pounds of boost. when i went to the lowest size, either a 2.8 or a 2.6 i started seeing a 12lb, when i upgraded my impeller i started seeing 14 at times.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:25 PM   #39
brycerichert

Quote:
well, i have a 330, and when i had a 3.6 pulley i was only pushing 5.5 pounds of boost. when i went to the lowest size, either a 2.8 or a 2.6 i started seeing a 12lb, when i upgraded my impeller i started seeing 14 at times.
Makes sense now.

E46 328i
Old 01-03-2012, 01:45 PM   #40
MalibuMafiaV

Sorry guys I do not frequently go on this forum so I haven't replied. Basically what got me the increase of the HP was the pulley size change to 2.87. I also did a re-tune and installed a 3.64 diff off a Z4 ( since my car is a auto ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
328 actually. I'm not really running a VF kit at all anymore. The only thing on the car that's VF is the supercharger bracket. The software, intercooler kit ( custom built ) + everything else is not from VF. It's more of a MalibuMafiaV stage 2.5 kit
2006 BMW M3 - SOLD

Last edited by MalibuMafiaV; 01-04-2012 at 09:24 AM.