E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #1
motostar508

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Send a message via AIM to motostar508 Send a message via Skype™ to motostar508
Another Speaker question..

I have a 2000 323ci and my front passenger door speaker is blown. Basically I know nothing about car audio and need help. What size speaker should I be looking for, I thought it was a 6.25?

Also how good are the factory speakers compared to aftermarket? I know BSW sells plug and play but they seem a tad pricey and from what I've read you can get better sounding quality speakers for less. Not sure if this is true or not.

I'd like to keep the factory look if possible. Ive also read some posts about needing brackets and possibly sealing the speaker before installing. I've always like the sound quality in my friends Escalade and thought those were infinity speakers though I could be wrong on this also. Any suggestions, Im not looking for a full upgrade just not want to hear that blown speaker anymore. Some people were selling oem HK's in the classified section but I wasnt even sure if I could use them since Im pretty sure I have a Non HK system.
motostar508 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci

Because you have a coupe the front bass speakers 6 1/2 inches in diameter. There are many posts in this form and other forms about replacing speakers with aftermarket speakers. Take a look at the speakers sold by Madison Sound (www.madisound.com). Please remember that not all 6 1/2" diameters speakers will fit in that space. You need to check the mounting depth.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #3
motostar508

Thanks, Ill look into it. would it be better to just replace the speaker that is blown with OEM speaker since I am only replacing the front two or 1 if I get OEM and not replacing any other in the car? How much better are aftermarket than the oem.
Old 06-12-2013, 08:34 AM   #4
markusmarkus

This would probably be better to replace the blown speaker with an OEM component. However if you're looking to upgrade your audio system speakers Madison Sound is a great source. For instance I upgraded my tweeters and midranges in my old one 330 CI with speakers from Madison Sound.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #5
motostar508

Do you notice a difference in sound quality?
Old 06-13-2013, 07:43 PM   #6
markusmarkus

Absolutely! The bass is improved but the better changes are for the mid-range and higher frequencies. I believe in the 50/50 rule: half of the budget should be spent on speakers; the other half should be spent on electronix. Now that rule should applies with some flexibility.

Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
RJDaly28

My Ride: 2002 M3 SMG
You need 6.5" speakers. If you just want an OEM one to stick in there I have some. PM me. Cheap.

I really dont think the stock speakers sound all that great, but it would sound a whole lot better than a blown one.