E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2011, 01:56 AM   #21
Blown90

My Ride: 325i
sell this to me!!
Blown90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:35 PM   #22
Stuttgart330

My Ride: 05 330CIC ZHP
Interior came out pretty nice. Clean look, but the trunk...mehh... Looks like an upside down mushroom in there... I think it would've been a little more clean if you could've brought the bottom expansion part of the box up flush with the underside of the trunk - having that 2-4" space looks really odd....

A for effort though - I wouldn't have the kahunas to hack up that much metal on my rear deck...

2001 330Ci ZSP - (wifes)
2005 330CiC ZHP - (mine)
2006 F350 Diesel CC - (Toy Hauler)
2007 X5 xDrive 4.8i -0 (wifes)

Last edited by Stuttgart330; 11-07-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Stuttgart330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM   #23
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuttgart330 View Post
Interior came out pretty nice. Clean look, but the trunk...mehh... Looks like an upside down mushroom in there... I think it would've been a little more clean if you could've brought the bottom expansion part of the box up flush with the underside of the trunk - having that 2-4" space looks really odd....

A for effort though - I wouldn't have the kahunas to hack up that much metal on my rear deck...
Seconded and I am scared to do anything more than wiring a sub up to an amp. I would love my rear deck to look like that from the inside!

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/780058
BigDRick323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 01:40 PM   #24
moneymike

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i
I must admit that in the beginning I thought like many of the others where the hell is he going with this...why doesn't he just get that sub with the build in amp that mounts to the top of the trunk

but yours came out GREAT and they subs come right into the car...let me ask you this...how does the music sound for people in the back seat? are there speakers in the doors?
moneymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #25
gab24m3

My Ride: 05 BMW M3 ZCP
Send a message via Yahoo to gab24m3
I've been thinking of doing a 12W7 in the rear deck, you have inspired me greatly and will hopefully tackle this soon. What kind of saw and xtra tools did you use to cut the metal and do you have any pics? Looks awesome by the way!

05 BMW ZCP ///M3 6MT - Interlagos Blue / Black

Short Shift Kit / Carbon Fiber Carbonio Air Intake / Bridgestone 245/35-19 & 275/30-19 / 6K HID Fog Lights / Depo Smoked Corners / Flat Black Kidneys & Side Grills / Umnitza Angel Eyes 6k
gab24m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #26
TR4G-

My Ride: '01 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike View Post
I must admit that in the beginning I thought like many of the others where the hell is he going with this...why doesn't he just get that sub with the build in amp that mounts to the top of the trunk

but yours came out GREAT and they subs come right into the car...let me ask you this...how does the music sound for people in the back seat? are there speakers in the doors?
All my original speakers are in the car, just plus these two sub woofers. So I now have 4 speakers in the rear deck (2 of my subs, and 2 mid/low driver BMW speakers) as well as 1 speaker in each rear door (highs/tweeter). Plus all the normal front speakers.

It sounds fine from the back, just reallllly instense lol. It is obviously louder when your ears are less than a foot from the subs, But I don't like listening to music super loud with other people in the car. I really like the subs because I can play them loud as ****, or have them practically off because of my base control knob up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gab24m3 View Post
I've been thinking of doing a 12W7 in the rear deck, you have inspired me greatly and will hopefully tackle this soon. What kind of saw and xtra tools did you use to cut the metal and do you have any pics? Looks awesome by the way!
I used a dremel with about 15 metal cutting wheels. It took a fair amount of time to get it to the correct size, but all I used on the metal was a dremel
Old 11-11-2011, 10:42 AM   #27
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
This has a cleaner look...the OP setup seems to drop a few inches more. Im big into having trunk space and with his setup it really seems like alot of the space has been taken up.

With those size speakers I guess you really don't have much of a choice especially if your mounting them like OP did.

You did a great job, I personally wouldn't rock them but props for doing it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneymike View Post

Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 10:51 AM   #28
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

You could do the same thing....

But put A smaller 12" in there and probably save a ton of Trunk Space. If you truly wanted to do it right maybe some JLW0's or something that aren't in need of a lot of depth. It could definitely be neater, but with the subs he has, it works!

-1983 Grey 528e (Given to Charity) -1995 Champagne Toyota 4Runner (Friend Totaled) -2000 Black 323i (From DD to Project Car) -2011 Black Toyota Prius III (DD)
Old 11-11-2011, 11:14 AM   #29
TR4G-

yeah. The box is large, but so is the sound. Lol, but seriously, i can still fit a ton of junk in there. Id say I could shove like 3.5 bodies in there
Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 PM   #30
james971

My Ride: '04 330i
Turned out decent on the inside. I would have covered them with a grill or some other attempt to conceal them. That just screams "Break into my car!!" As far as bumping at stop lights.....I hate to break it to you, but 99% of people are just annoyed and think it's stupid. If pissing people off gets you off then OK...just don't think you're impressing many people other than little kids.
james971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
SweTurbo
Big Pimpin'

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4G- View Post
yeah. The box is large, but so is the sound. Lol, but seriously, i can still fit a ton of junk in there. Id say I could shove like 3.5 bodies in there
That box you built cant be big enough for those speakers right ?

I know if i were to build a box for my 2 12's it would take up all the space from top to bottom from the rear seats to the start of the battery tray

Your installation looks sooooooooo good though
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #32
TR4G-

I don't have the specs on me here at college, but I did build it to the minimum square footage believe it or not. In my first setup (the single box in my trunk) I didn't take into account the driver itself which takes up a ton of room. However, for this install, I did infact take the drivers into account. That is why my box is awkwardly mushroom shaped lol. So yes, it is the appropriate size for the speakers.

Thanks for the comment! It's holding up great, no squeaks or nuffin! I just recently redid my C pillars and 3rd tail light cover in the same black trim. It looks so much nicer now Too bad its hilariously hard to take pictures of the interior headliner/rear pillar area
Old 04-03-2012, 02:19 AM   #33
domcreates
Banned User

My Ride: Jet Black 1999 323i
I keep coming back to this thread and wishing I could do this.
domcreates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:13 PM   #34
Blown90

My Ride: 325i
^^same^^
Blown90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #35
bimmerboy21093

My Ride: 2003 330I
Question and some thoughts on this project

So I came across your thread after looking for hours and found exactly what I was looking for. This is going to be basically the same thing I will be doing just on a smaller scale. (figured its always easier to go bigger than it is to go smaller). So I guess my first question is with everything minus the amp and subs about how much did all of this run you? I'm sure it wasn't just pocket change but I'm also thinking that it didn't cost an arm and a leg. lol and going the ENTIRE thread you mentioned to save as much space possible you went with building the smallest cu. ft box as recommended including the driver, have you or did you ever consider doing a poly fill in the box? For others reading this that aren't sure what that is it's taking a poly-fiber fill (the stuff that stuffs pillows) and dropping it in a box and what that does is simulates a larger box for the driver by slowing down the air movement inside the box. It works very well I have done that to basically every subwoofer installation that I have had for myself or customers I have done installs for. General rule of thumb is 1 pound of poly fill for every cu. ft of space, of course you can always go more or less depending on your ear and what sounds good to you. Another thing that I think would have improved the overall look and finished product, not that there is anything wrong with the way it looks now that's for damn sure, would have been to, while the back seat was removed figure out the placement of the wires in uniform with the placement of the amp and drilled holes thru the rear seat sheet metal and through the mounting board you made, and with some extra wire ran the wiring cables into the cab of the car, in between the sheet metal and rear seat foam that is under the seat back rest, through the hole previously drilled and into the amplifier.
Then the only wiring that would be exposed is right at the amplifier, and that definitely would eliminate the risk of throwing something in the trunk or taking a corner "too fast" with something in the trunk and it catching the wires and ripping them out... past experiences...
So just a question and some thoughts I thought I might share. oh and have you posted a vid on youtube yet with the finished product and what it sounds like? :
bimmerboy21093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #36
BringsMeWomen

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Love the setup man is this all on your stock electrical system?
BringsMeWomen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #37
erod225

My Ride: 2003 M3XI
Outstanding build. i wish there could have been more trunk space but with 2 12's its the best you could do. I need this in my life...
Old 05-23-2013, 05:57 PM   #38
TR4G-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerboy21093 View Post
So I guess my first question is with everything minus the amp and subs about how much did all of this run you?

Hmm, It actually was not bad at all, around 100 dollars or so. It was pretty much the cost of the MDF, screws, some epoxy, and brackets. I had wood glue and all the equipment to do it already. I have not sound proofed it though, so that will add onto the price when I decide to actually do that

have you or did you ever consider doing a poly fill in the box?

Considering this was my first ever project of this scale, no I did not consider doing a poly fill. However, it does sound extremely appealing. If I ever drop out my box for maintenance, I will definitely throw some poly in there to increase the virtual interior

Another thing that I think would have improved the overall look and finished product would have been to figure out the placement of the wires in uniform with the placement of the amp. Then the only wiring that would be exposed is right at the amplifier, and that definitely would eliminate the risk of catching the wires and ripping them out

Yes, I completely agree. This is the first time ive built a box, so that didn't even occur to me (apart from the first temp box i built). It's been a while and still havent had anything rip my cords out luckily.

Have you posted a vid on youtube yet with the finished product and what it sounds like? :

Hah, I have not done this no.
Just checking in to let you guys know how its holding up after almost 2 years.

I haven't had to change or reinforce the brackets at all, and the sub box is still hanging there like the day I put it in. I honestly expected there to be a bit of stretch or bending in the brackets, but there is none! I make sure to go over speed bumps slowly for the back wheels so I dont throw uneeded force onto the box. Both subs are still hitting hard! There is a slight creak that shows up every once in a while. Ive investigated it and turns out its due to one corner of the box touching the rear deck sheet metal. It creates a creaking/squeaking noise occasionally under normal driving conditions. At first I thought it was because the brackets were slowly going kaput, but Ive ruled that out as I can reproduce the sound and can see where its occurring. Furthermore, as I stated above, Ive inspected the brackets many times and they havent budged. I plan of throwing some epoxy around/between the area of contact to shut that squeak up!

Also. the trim on the rear deck that made most people doubt my methods has not bubbled up and remains firmly adhered to the deck!
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #39
BigDRick323
OEM ///Member

Thumbs UP!

Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #40
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Custom Rear Deck Dual 12" Subwoofers! [+ build pics]

I wonder if your great install has impacted the car's torsional strengt. Just a thought.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote