E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #1
tdyl69

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Lock on door handle doesn't work

Hi:

Currently my remote doesn't work for unlocking anything, and I've had to lock the doors at the driver's side handle. But now the lock on the handle isn't working.....Any ideas
tdyl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 PM   #2
My325XI

My Ride: 03 325XI Sprt Prem
search for GM5 it is the locking control module. Your may be bad.

2003 325XI 5-speed ZSP ZPP
My325XI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #3
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdyl69 View Post
Hi:

Currently my remote doesn't work for unlocking anything, and I've had to lock the doors at the driver's side handle. But now the lock on the handle isn't working.....Any ideas
If you're putting your key in and it feels like nothing is catching, you need one of these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270934470961...84.m1439.l2649

Very easy 5 minute DIY. As for the car not locking/unlocking, it could be a few things like dead key battery or as mentioned before -- you may need a new GM5 module.

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
tdyl69

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Thanks All

First and foremost, thanks all for responding. The key fob is shot and has to be replaced. My wife just came clean and said she washed the key..LOL

As for the key lock itself, Thanks King Bee, I believe that's the item I need. Are there any you tube videos on DIY for this? I couldn't find one.
tdyl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #5
KingBee

My Ride: IR '03 M3
Quote:
First and foremost, thanks all for responding. The key fob is shot and has to be replaced. My wife just came clean and said she washed the key..LOL

As for the key lock itself, Thanks King Bee, I believe that's the item I need. Are there any you tube videos on DIY for this? I couldn't find one.
There's a DIY on it once you have the cylinder out, which is actually the easiest part. When you open your door, you'll see a plastic rectangular cover on the side that will come out. Once you got that open you will have access to a hex screw that needs to be undone. Put the key in the lock and once the screw is all undone [it wont fall out] you simply pull on your key and the cylinder will come out with it.

After that it's just a matter of replacing the broken pieces with the new ones provided in the kit. Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bPAeS9l7oTI

AA exhaust, PSS10, TMS sways, 5mm rear spacers, more to come!
KingBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #6
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:

The keys are sealed and should not be affected from being washed unless it's a rubber button key and the buttons are shot. Try resyncing it. read bmwgm5.com/no_fob.htm
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #7
fastjasonbmw

My Ride: 330Xi
Your door lock actuator may be faulty aswell. If you can get the lock cylinder out of the door, look in the the hole where the lock cylinder came out of, you'll see a white plastic + sign, close the door, stick a flat head screwdriver in the + sign and turn it like you would with your key. If it locks and unlocks properly, your lock cylinder and GM are operating properly.

If your key just spins in the lock cylinder (with the cylinder installed in the car), the lock cylinder is broken. You'll have to order a new one. To order one you'll have to provide proof of ownership (valid registration, ID, drivers license, title, etc).

Last edited by fastjasonbmw; 08-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
fastjasonbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #8
pbansen

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Actuator bad?

My driver's door will LOCK with the remote, but will not unlock - have to unlock that door (and that one only) using the key.

The indy shop is telling me that it's the actuator and that it'll cost ~$300 to replace.

Wisdom of the forum? GM module? Actuator? I have had a GM module issue before, where the 'unlock' button on the console wouldn't unlock the doors - I was planning on pulling the module and sending it to the guy in LA who repairs them.

Thank you!
pbansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Actuator failure on an '03 is likely for your symptom pbansen. That thing has been cycled a million times and they can just fail half the function - lock/unlock.

The replacement isn't that tricky and if you are handy with tools and invest a little research in "how to", the surgery isn't that bad. You can go in first and verify the actuator motor is the culprit by testing. Inspecting for broken linkage etc. is always good before ordering a part you don't need. Module failure for one door with one issue? Shipping it out would be premature without first ruling out actuator motor failure which can be verified with a volt meter. My guess would be - unlikely for the module.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 10-07-2012 at 02:34 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Dahmwern

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325xi 5spd.
Send a message via AIM to Dahmwern
www.bmwgm5.com

Just email Scott, and he'll help you out.

My key didn't work, I emailed him and described the problem, he had the solution almost immediately (replied within an hour), and fixed it for $50. Now my key remote works, and I'm a happy camper. If its truly the GM5 or FZV it could be more expensive, but let Scott decide what the issue is.
| CSL 18" Reps | H&R Coilovers | UUC EVO3 Short Shifter | Conforti Shark Injector | Magnaflow exhaust | TMS Power Pulleys | CAI w/ Custom Built Box | Drilled\Slotted Rotors | ZHP Shift Knob | Brushed Metal Trim | ECS Carbon Fiber Brake Handle | Black Grilles | Angel Eyes | DIY Clutch Stop | DEPO Smoked Corners | DEPO Sidemarkers | DEPO Smoked R/C/R Tails | DIY AUX input | DIY Red Needle Mod | CDV Delete | Front Plate Delete | Debadged |

Last edited by Dahmwern; 10-07-2012 at 06:08 PM.
Dahmwern is offline   Reply With Quote