E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
SamDoe1

My Ride: Clubs baby seals
CV Axle Grease

So while my axles are just fine and still chugging away without failure (knock on wood), I want to clean and repack the joints with new grease in order to further prolong their life.

What grease do you guys recommend and what method do you use to clean prior to repacking the joint. I'm used to just taking out the axle and throwing it away before installing a new one so I've never actually cleaned out a joint before.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2013, 08:22 PM   #2
Sean McClellan

My Ride: 2004 325xi
SamDoe1,

In my experience of repacking joints, I have bought the boot kits from Pelican Parts, and they obviously have the grease packs included. With that being said, I have just used the grease packs and held onto the boots.
Here are the links: http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5%29%2C%20Each
http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...5%29%2C%20Each

The last 2 times I have ordered boot kits they sent me extra grease packs, which is handy to have for future use. It wouldn't hurt either to have an extra boot lying around just in case. In regards to cleaning the joint: First I take the axle shaft completely apart. For the outer joint, I take out the carrier and all ball bearings. I then take a cloth and wipe out as much of the grease as I can. After that I liberally spray brake cleaner on the bearings, carrier, and inside the outer joint. I do the same thing for the inner joint, for the exception of removing the 3 bearings from the shaft. That does the trick for me. It completely cleans everything out and leaves it nice and clean and ready for a grease repack. I'm not as knowledgeable as you guys, but I hope that my 2 cents helps you out.

Last edited by Sean McClellan; 02-06-2013 at 08:26 PM.
Sean McClellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #3
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
When I ordered a boot repair kit last year.. it only came with 1 pack of grease and 2 boots (inner and outter and the clamps).
So I was always wondering what is the correct amunt of grease to put into these boots? 1 pack per boot?

Remove axle,
undo the clamps and pull the boots away to show the cv joints
Use brake cleaner and some rags and wipe it down. Best to do it in the open as the stuff smells bad. Also your going to need A FEW rags..
then apply grease inside and slide boot back over the joint.

becareful when you slide the boot back over not to get any grease on the area where the boot seals with the shaft otherwise it won't make a good seal once you clamp it on and you will loose grease down the road.

Overall it's an easy procedure, hardest part is removing the axle without a doubt which is still no that hard.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:13 AM   #4
NCLee

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Send a message via AIM to NCLee
I can't tell you guys how glad I am you posted this. I just started getting some vibration reminiscent of the time I needed my axle replaced, but earlier in the progression. I'm pretty sure it's time for this procedure, and I never even thought of just replacing the boots and re-packing. SamDoe1, if you can manage, it would be VERY helpful if you took some photos. I'm sure as winter winds down, many XI owners will want to do this.
NCLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
SamDoe1

Thanks guys.

Is this possible to do without removing the axle? Because my joints are good and so are the boots, I'd prefer to not remove the axle if at all possible. I was just thinking to undo the clamps, slide boots off of joints, spray with cleaner, wipe off, regrease, slide boots back on?

I will certainly take some pics when I do this but it will likely not be until end of April or early May. It's currently ~15F here and just snowed 2in yesterday so the last thing I want at this point is to crawl under my car...
Old 02-07-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
jeepo23

My Ride: 02 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Thanks guys.

Is this possible to do without removing the axle? Because my joints are good and so are the boots, I'd prefer to not remove the axle if at all possible. I was just thinking to undo the clamps, slide boots off of joints, spray with cleaner, wipe off, regrease, slide boots back on?

I will certainly take some pics when I do this but it will likely not be until end of April or early May. It's currently ~15F here and just snowed 2in yesterday so the last thing I want at this point is to crawl under my car...
Yah you can do this with them on the car if your reusing your boots. Might be a bit tight with space and harder to get a good cleaning in with the limited space but its doable.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
Yah you can do this with them on the car if your reusing your boots. Might be a bit tight with space and harder to get a good cleaning in with the limited space but its doable.
That's what I'll likely do then. The cleaning doesn't have to be pristine or anything, just a refresh of what's in there as best I can.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Thanks guys.

I think the inners are possible, but outer boots will be tough without removing the axles.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:43 PM   #9
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
I much rather replace it and rebuild the old one to have as a spare for emergencys.
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote