E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
TheCalmInsanity

My Ride: 330Ci
Need to replace my blown out HK system

Hey guys,

My Harmon Kardons are blown out, they've been making a crackling noise when I turn the volume up a bit. I decided it's time to replace the speakers.

I want to buy a set of speakers, probably for both door panels only, I think the speakers in the back are ok (I'm going to have to test them but I think they're fine). I'm not looking for a new system, unless the deal is sooo insane that it wouldn't be worth it to buy individual speakers.

I'd like to put them in myself, so please keep that in mind.. I don't need a set that will just "drop" in, since I can modify the door panel if needed to.

Thanks!!!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM   #2
lcoleman

My Ride: '79 Massey Ferguson
Here but they are PRICEY.
lcoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
TheCalmInsanity

My Ride: 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcoleman View Post
Here but they are PRICEY.
Yeah definitely too pricey :/
Old 10-27-2011, 02:52 PM   #4
JayPitch

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCalmInsanity View Post
Yeah definitely too pricey :/
Has anyone actually heard it? Is it worth the money?
JayPitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:16 PM   #5
lsteg

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Mid range and Tweeters are the bare bones of your stereo system. Without those it will sound terrible. I dont think you have to buy those specific speakers either. As long as they fit the dimensions they should be fine. While I don't have much experience with the HK system in BMW's Ive modded many other systems. Speakers are like anything else though, you get what you pay for, keep that in mind. You'll have to listen to crappy quality every day if you try to save a few bucks. It really depends on how much you like your audio system and how important it is to you.
lsteg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #6
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
buy me 1 12 inch kicker and 50 bucks cash and ill give you my 2 10' kickers
Old 10-27-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
Mr_325

My Ride: 2007 X5 3.0Si
you think BSW would be better than Infinity or Vibe speaker set up?
i wanna upgrade my speakers as well but i only have basic stocks not HK's
Mr_325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:07 PM   #8
Monkey_Phonics

My Ride: 2002, 330i
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...=BMW_E46#Audio

Bookmarked this previously, has some good basic info on the sound system and various possible upgrades.

Hope it helps a little.
Monkey_Phonics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:25 PM   #9
DBrown

My Ride: BMW 325 Ci
I replaced mine with after market tweeters and mid ranges I took the original tock speakers out and you'll see that's its an full unit for the two speakers. Since the speakers we're built into the bracket I took a wood hole saw and drilled out the tweeter and removed the midrange. Took my new speakers and glue gunned and siliconed them into the new frame I made, soldered the new speakers to the old wiring harness and installed them back in my car. Sounds great, no need to modify the door frame at all, and I was able to better aim the speakers as well. Very easy process, your old speakers can never be used again though because you will destroy them with a hole saw, but other than that its an easy process.

Just make sure that you get compatible speakers for your system, my stock tweeters and midranges were 4 ohms, I replaced them with 3.5 ohm speakers.

If I were you I would get some dynamat and do your doors while you have the panels off, it really improved the sound quality of my car once I did it, just buy the knock off dynamat on ebay, that's what I did. Did the whole car for 60 bucks. Made the car quieter when driving, improved bass and removed all rattles.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBrown View Post
I replaced mine with after market tweeters and mid ranges I took the original tock speakers out and you'll see that's its an full unit for the two speakers. Since the speakers we're built into the bracket I took a wood hole saw and drilled out the tweeter and removed the midrange. Took my new speakers and glue gunned and siliconed them into the new frame I made, soldered the new speakers to the old wiring harness and installed them back in my car. Sounds great, no need to modify the door frame at all, and I was able to better aim the speakers as well. Very easy process, your old speakers can never be used again though because you will destroy them with a hole saw, but other than that its an easy process.

Just make sure that you get compatible speakers for your system, my stock tweeters and midranges were 4 ohms, I replaced them with 3.5 ohm speakers.

If I were you I would get some dynamat and do your doors while you have the panels off, it really improved the sound quality of my car once I did it, just buy the knock off dynamat on ebay, that's what I did. Did the whole car for 60 bucks. Made the car quieter when driving, improved bass and removed all rattles.
easier way it to get 5.25 speakers then u eliminate the bracket
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote