E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 08:15 PM   #1
Keving60

My Ride: 02 330XI
Eibach Pro vs. Bav Auto Springs

While replacing rear rotors/pads I noticed one of my rear springs is broken so I finally have a good reason to buy new suspension for my daily driver.

I've searched high and low researching suspension options for the XI. I'm not looking to spend a ton of $ on the daily. My wife has neck problems so I'm not looking for something that will bounce her into the sunroof. I've settled on either Eibach Pro's or Bav Auto's springs, with Bilstein Sports due to the softer ride with these combos.

I've been looking all over for information on the Bavarian Auto springs but only found hearsay and people with older non E46 models. Does anyone on here run either setup? I'm looking specifically for first hand experience on how the car rides, longevity, and pictures. Somebody out there must be running this setup on an XI?
Keving60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Eibach. No one buys bavauto springs anymore because they are garbage. Don't pair them with bilsteins if your wife has neck problems. Konis are more comfy.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:24 AM   #3
wdeerfield

My Ride: 2009 E90, 2011 F10
Eibach and koni yellow or stock springs with Sachs if you want a nice ride. Bilstein and h&r are a very sporty ride.

2009 MBM E90 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | CA | 6FL | NAV | XENONS | 18x8.5 VB3s ET30/25
2011 JB F10 | ZPP | ZSP | ZCW | 6FL | NAV | 331s Square
wdeerfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:31 AM   #4
gitchies

My Ride: 05 325xi
i was about to grab some bilstein sports...but after seeing a few comments im not so sure i wanna go that route....i'm leaning towards koni now...koni yellows, noticed some sites don't offer them anymore, either fsd or str ones? just wondering if the str ones are replacements for the yellows and the fsd ones to replace the adjustables.....
gitchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #5
jaycard73

My Ride: '02 325xi
i took the advice of a lot of guys on the forum and went the eibach/koni sport route and couldn't be happier. Think about the roads you have to deal with, how comfortable a ride you want and lowering (if that's important to you). To me, the eibach/koni combo gives you the best balance of looks and ride comfort. Its a little stiffer and lower than stock..nothing crazy.
jaycard73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #6
gitchies

yeah i think i'm on the search for some koni!!! Just trying to find on users of fsd and str ones.....Eibach seems to be the given choice, those i already have, just wanted to explore my options for struts....hmmmm
Old 10-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
e46alfonso

My Ride: 330xi, focus st
i have eibach springs basically given to me and i'm thinking about doing bilstein sports as they are $250 cheaper than konis.

i've seaeched all threads and couldnt find one person with this setup, why is that so? (maby they dont fit properly?)

in theory they should have a slightly softer ride than H&R. should i go for eibach and bilsteins?

and sorry for thread jacking OP
e46alfonso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:36 PM   #8
Keving60

It sounds like everyone agrees on the Eibach and Koni's. Is anyone running the Bilstein sports w/Eibach? I'm just curious to hear how they ride from someone first hand.
Old 10-29-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
White_Knuckles

There was quite a run of Bilstein rear shocks that were reported as leaking. Recently, several posters were on their second or third warranty set and still having leaks.

I don't know if Bilstein has this resolved? Not sure if buyers were more comfortable going with Koni for this reason.

Last edited by White_Knuckles; 10-30-2011 at 01:16 PM.
White_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:09 PM   #10
gitchies

last night i did some searching....some people with eibach and bilstein sports say its comparible to factory, a tad bit stiffer? its hard to judge, unless someone has actually tried eibach with bilstein and eibach with koni.....plus what someone may fine too stiff, someone may not....argh...i'm confused again....lol....plus your right, 250 difference is alot, that'll cover half of the labour!!!!! i've had bilstein before on other vehicles they weren't bad, i've also had h&r on my vw....h&r was a bit too stiff for me.....but then again the rims didn't help either....so...back to square one....
Old 10-29-2011, 08:03 PM   #11
Kubica

Yes I'm running eibach and bilsteins right now (hd up front, e36 m3 rear).

It's the best all-around setup in my opinion. Pair with an HnR rear swaybar, powerflex fcabs and rtabs, and sticky 235 width tires.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
gitchies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubica View Post

It's the best all-around setup in my opinion. Pair with an HnR rear swaybar, powerflex fcabs and rtabs, and sticky 235 width tires.
Great! now you just threw me a curve ball!!! lol
Bilstein HD? vs Bilstein sports?.....lol
the sports are shorter, but are they durable as hd?
maybe i should install one of each in all for corners say....
one front stock shock, front bilstein hd
rear bilstein sport and one rear koni?
lol.....
just kidding.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:53 PM   #13
Keving60

Do the Bilsteinn hd's ever bottom out? Are the sports any stiffer or do they just have a shorter range?
Old 11-05-2011, 10:03 PM   #14
gitchies

any updates one anyone's suspension? what about koni street str? don't need adjustables....
Old 11-06-2011, 01:01 AM   #15
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keving60 View Post
While replacing rear rotors/pads I noticed one of my rear springs is broken so I finally have a good reason to buy new suspension for my daily driver.

I've searched high and low researching suspension options for the XI. I'm not looking to spend a ton of $ on the daily. My wife has neck problems so I'm not looking for something that will bounce her into the sunroof. I've settled on either Eibach Pro's or Bav Auto's springs, with Bilstein Sports due to the softer ride with these combos.

I've been looking all over for information on the Bavarian Auto springs but only found hearsay and people with older non E46 models. Does anyone on here run either setup? I'm looking specifically for first hand experience on how the car rides, longevity, and pictures. Somebody out there must be running this setup on an XI?
Your statement about your wife is the key to this entire thread, everything else is secondary. Bottom of page for my recommendations.

Quote:
Eibach. No one buys bavauto springs anymore because they are garbage. Don't pair them with bilsteins if your wife has neck problems. Konis are more comfy.
Yes. Totally agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitchies View Post
i was about to grab some bilstein sports...but after seeing a few comments im not so sure i wanna go that route....i'm leaning towards koni now...koni yellows, noticed some sites don't offer them anymore, either fsd or str ones? just wondering if the str ones are replacements for the yellows and the fsd ones to replace the adjustables.....
No to your question/statement. Also the Koni STR.T are turning out to be problematic, I wouldn't consider this an option.

Quote:

Did Bilstein USA replace your rear HD with E36 M3 Sports #24-024532 under warranty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitchies View Post
Great! now you just threw me a curve ball!!! lol
Bilstein HD? vs Bilstein sports?.....lol
the sports are shorter, but are they durable as hd?
maybe i should install one of each in all for corners say....
one front stock shock, front bilstein hd
rear bilstein sport and one rear koni?
lol.....
just kidding.
There's NO difference between the Sport vs. HD in terms of lastability or ruggedness.

Quote:
Do the Bilsteinn hd's ever bottom out? Are the sports any stiffer or do they just have a shorter range?
This is a good question. Yes, the HD's can bottom out if used with a lowering spring. Bilstein USA will not warranty these shocks based on the "wear patterns". Bilstein can determine under disassembly that the HD was used with a lowering spring. Yes, Sports can be stiffer but that is a case by case situation. Some HD's & Sports have the exact same valving. Yes, all Sports are shorter than HD's.

OP, the answer to your question is this: 1) A new set of BMW OEM stock springs with Koni FSD. This will be the best in terms of A) Comfort (wife) & B) Good Controll. 2) Eibach Prokit springs with Koni FSD. Prokit springs will give you a little drop but will definitely be Firmer riding, Better Control/Less Comfort. The Koni FSD will help make then as smooth & soft as they can be though.

I've owned a lot of Bilstein products over the years. They've been in both race cars I've owned & street cars, including my current BMW 330Ci. Heck, I'm even ordering a set of Bilstein HD's for my Honda Civic on Monday. But based on your needs & the needs of your wife, Bilstein Sports or HD's would not be a good choice. They would be a little to firm for your application.

Good luck in your decision.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!

Last edited by Rob43; 11-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #16
Keving60

Thank you Rob43, great reply. Unfortunately, I had to make the decision earlier in the week as I heard a loud popping sound from my broken spring. I went ahead with the Eibach Pro/Bilstein Sports. A few other replacement parts were on backorder but I'm hoping to be able to install them next weekend. I will post up pictures and opinions after the install. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #17
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Thank you Rob43, great reply. Unfortunately, I had to make the decision earlier in the week as I heard a loud popping sound from my broken spring. I went ahead with the Eibach Pro/Bilstein Sports. A few other replacement parts were on backorder but I'm hoping to be able to install them next weekend. I will post up pictures and opinions after the install. Thanks everyone!

You'll like that combo, but they are more Performance oriented. I've found that the Bilstein Sports have about a 1000 mile break-in. Maybe start putting the wife in it after the 1K break-in period.

Good luck.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #18
redbull 325is

My Ride: 325xit/6
Send a message via AIM to redbull 325is
just an FYI front XI bilstein sports are not internally bump-stopped.. make sure to reuse your factory bumpstop or pick up a new one.
Old 11-06-2011, 06:17 PM   #19
aphhpa

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to aphhpa
Koni FSD ftw
Old 11-06-2011, 06:30 PM   #20
Gus330vrum

My Ride: 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull 325is View Post
just an FYI front XI bilstein sports are not internally bump-stopped.. make sure to reuse your factory bumpstop or pick up a new one.
wow! Really.... i need to put on mine then! o_O

whats the cause for not having it?
Gus330vrum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bav auto, bilstein, eibach pro, suspension