E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > E46 Xi Forum

E46 Xi Forum
The E46 XI was produced from 01-05 in sedan and touring body styles. Powered by either a 2.5L inline 6 in the 325xi or a 3.0L inline 6 330xi. Discuss all thing about BMW AWD E46 'Xi' here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #21
gitchies

My Ride: 05 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keving60 View Post
Thank you Rob43, great reply. Unfortunately, I had to make the decision earlier in the week as I heard a loud popping sound from my broken spring. I went ahead with the Eibach Pro/Bilstein Sports. A few other replacement parts were on backorder but I'm hoping to be able to install them next weekend. I will post up pictures and opinions after the install. Thanks everyone!
yes that would great once installed post some pics and ride quality vs old suspension....
i'm leaning towards bilstein sports....i don't need adjustables, and koni seemed to have them? koni sports i haven't found without adjustable or am i missing something...
looking for a sportier ride without breaking my back! if there is such a thing...
gitchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 06:46 AM   #22
Rickna

My Ride: '02 330xi AT
Send a message via ICQ to Rickna Send a message via AIM to Rickna Send a message via MSN to Rickna Send a message via Yahoo to Rickna
I've heard nothing but bad reports on BAV springs. My setup is Eibach Pro springs on Koni Shocks. Good ride quality on a 1" drop.

238 years of democracy has died, and with thunderous applause

My_Mods_&_Stuff
Rickna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #23
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
I have not heard anything bad about the BAV spring sets, they are made in Germany from cold rolled silicon steel (same material that Eibach and H&R springs are made from), is the quality worse? I don't think that BAV Auto would sell an inferior product with their name on it, but that said, previously I have used H&R lowering spring sets on my E30s and was very satisfied with them. I will be doing my homework on spring sets from all 3 over the winter as one of my major Spring Projects is to lower both my 325xi and my 330xi. I can say this, the H&R Spring Sets I used on my E30s lowered the cars between 1.625 and 2.000 inches, more than Eibach or BAV Auto Springs would have (1.000 to 1.500 inches).

Expect to have a slightly harsher ride with lowering springs installed over factory/OEM/stock length springs. And it is a good idea to use Sport Shocks (which are shorter than stock and tuned for lowering springs) over Stock Shocks or HD Shocks. Using the shorter Sport Shocks gets the most out of the lowering springs and not riding part way on the shocks before the springs start working. So, with Sport Shocks and lowering springs installed, you will lose the cushy stock ride.

As to which struts and shocks are better, Bilstein or Koni, there are good things to say about both. In the past, on my E30s, I always used Bilstein Sport Shocks and Struts (mainly because at the time I did the suspension modifications, Koni was having problems with their shocks). Now one hears that Bilstein is having some problems, so go with what you feel is best for you.

With either of the 3 spring sets and either of the 2 shocks, just make sure you save your slips so that you can make warranty claims if need be, as all off them have warranties.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:47 PM   #24
Keving60

My Ride: 02 330XI
gitchies...I found the non adjustable Koni's on Tire Rack. They are about $250 more than the Bilstein's.

Thanks for the info on the bump stops, I'll be sure to re-use or buy new ones.
Keving60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 05:53 PM   #25
gitchies

hmmm, those are the yellows that they have on there? well it was the only koni they have to offer...i thought the description said they were adjustable...i could be wrong..
Old 11-07-2011, 06:08 PM   #26
tomoyer

My Ride: 03 325xi, 03 330xi
Send a message via Yahoo to tomoyer
Now I'm really surprised, some of the people that said the other week that the bump stops weren't needed, are now telling you Keving60, "don't forget to use the Front Bump Stops as the Bilsteins don't have one". Believe I said on that thread that the bump stops should be used for more than one reason even when using lowering springs and sport shocks/shocks for lowering springs. MMMMMMM, guess some of the internet auto engineers did some further research as to what purpose the bump stops serve, cause it doesn't matter what brand of lowering springs you use, mated to what brand of sport/lowering shocks, you need the bump stops.
tomoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 03:17 PM   #27
gitchies

Well, today i went ahead and ordered some Koni sports...looking forward them...great price too!! MJM autohaus, one of the vendors here....i'd call them if you were looking to pick up a set of koni....
Old 11-15-2011, 04:44 PM   #28
Keving60

Before Pics

Here is a before pic. I'm hoping to do the install this weekend and will post up an after pic then.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
Old 12-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #29
gitchies

Any updates on this thread keving60?
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 PM   #30
Keving60

After Pics

Well I ran into some issues with the drivers side pinch bolt snapping but the suspension is complete. Here is the after pic. It is a subtle difference but definitely lower in the front. I think it would be even lower if I hadn't gone with the reinforcement plates.

The ride is stiffer and much more fun around corners . It is a little harsher than stock especially over large bumps in the road but not nearly as bumpy as other lowered cars I've had in the past. All in all I really enjoy the sportier ride and am glad I went with the Eibach springs.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

Note: I found both rear springs were broken which is probably why the rear is the same height in the before and after pics.

Last edited by Keving60; 12-05-2011 at 07:32 PM.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:15 AM   #31
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Nice.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 AM   #32
gitchies

looks good! i'll be doing mine prob in the spring.....just what i was looking for, subtle look...and hopefully not too bad of ride quality. i have the same parts, eibach and koni

Tags
bav auto, bilstein, eibach pro, suspension