E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-27-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
peterbg16

My Ride: '03 330i ZHP
Magnaflow Exhaust on a ZHP ::HD::

So this exhaust doesn't get much recognition and now that I actually own it, I think it really should. It's VERY well made and sounds awesome! I thought I would post this up since the few other videos available of this exhaust don't really capture the sound well. I will be adding take-off vids soon.

Car Mods:
Magnaflow Catback 16533
aFe Drop-in Dry Filter

The clip was a test for my friend's Canon 5D II. Like an idiot I let go off the throttle right after I passed him, but still in 1080p you get a pretty good idea.

Last edited by peterbg16; 10-27-2011 at 09:40 PM.
peterbg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #2
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
I know it sounds better than is portrayed in that video.

I kick myself in the head for getting the 16748 and not knowing the 16533 fit just as well for the same price.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:15 PM   #3
Redline

My Ride: ///M3 Vert

///M
Redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:09 AM   #4
peterbg16

Yeah I know that set up, but when you consider that all of that (combined with installation of headers and new bolts/gaskets and what not) is over $2000 for the set up, and mine installed cost me $660 new...I'd rather have Magnaflow. Borla without headers are very, very raspy.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbg16 View Post
Borla without headers are very, very raspy.
I find this pretty hard to believe since catless headers are notorious for causing rasp with most any exhaust setup. I'm not sure rasp is even possible with the stock M54 manifolds with cats.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #6
peterbg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
I find this pretty hard to believe since catless headers are notorious for causing rasp with most any exhaust setup. I'm not sure rasp is even possible with the stock M54 manifolds with cats.
Yeah they cause rasp. but they also open up a whole new deep tone, which covers it up for the most part.
The exhaust itself is pretty quiet (I've heard it in person) and when at WOT it has quite a bit of rasp toward the higher RPM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
Headers + 16748 is very loud at WOT over 4k. Backfires very nice and smells like crap at the lights! At idle it sounds as if I have an exhaust leak though.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
DJ Reminisce

My Ride: Knows Dubstep SUCKS
Definitely need a better vid, I'm sure it sounds great in person, but doesn't sound much louder than my stock ZHP exhaust?

Next up in line is my exhaust, so thanks for posting the vid!
Amber LED Corners/6k HID Fogs/LED Interior_Shadow Emblems
500W_RE Audio_Hertz Components

House Mixes:
DJ Reminisce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #9
peterbg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Reminisce View Post
Definitely need a better vid, I'm sure it sounds great in person, but doesn't sound much louder than my stock ZHP exhaust?

Next up in line is my exhaust, so thanks for posting the vid!
You're welcome! And it's much, much louder than OEM ZHP. It also sounds much better on downshifts. I'll make a better one this weekend.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM   #10
Redline

Quote:
Yeah I know that set up, but when you consider that all of that (combined with installation of headers and new bolts/gaskets and what not) is over $2000 for the set up, and mine installed cost me $660 new...I'd rather have Magnaflow. Borla without headers are very, very raspy.
rasp is what separates the bmw's sound from the civic rolling down the street with a fart pipe. otherwise they sound similar.

also if you want it to sound really good for cheap, just go to a muffler shop and have a 3'' pipe welded from the back of the 1st resonator into any borla muffler they have in the shop to 2 tips...instant cheap but awesome sounding catback that will add a little performance as well.

///M

Last edited by Redline; 10-28-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E30 with an S52
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M=Power View Post
My car won't launch like that. Either my clutch sucks or the driver sucks. Probably the driver.

SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:24 PM   #12
johnrando

My Ride: '06 330 CIC ZHP
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more video. I'm not that exhaust literate, so excuse the question: To be clear, you still have your cats on, and no headers, right?

ZHP, Cold Weather Pkg., Leather, Jet Black/Black/Black Cube, NAV
AA Tune, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf. Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan STEP S/W & TB, TMS Pulleys, H&R Touring Cup Kit
DICE Ipod, Parrot/Connects2 Bluetooth, StealthOne Valentine Module, Hardwired V1
BMW Perf. Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan delete
johnrando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 PM   #13
Redline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
My car won't launch like that. Either my clutch sucks or the driver sucks. Probably the driver.

turn traction control off, my 323i would light up the tires whenever id launch it at a light. (when my clutch was still good now i can barely make it up a bridge need to get that fixed ASAP) key to a good launch isnt revving the hell out of it, ill rev it to 2500 to launch, right where all the torque starts, torque wins races not horsepower, only cars you see launching at higher rpms are ones you need to rev the hell out of to go anywhere like the e46 m3's and lots of jdm cars. (yes i said e46 m3, my car is way more jumpy and sensitive at lower rpm's than any m3 ive driven, it will break the seats if i kick the gas at 2k rpms, torque curve is different on non ///M's and ///M's)

///M

Last edited by Redline; 10-28-2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #14
bojacks

My Ride: 2k4 330i ZAM > ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post

same here! although who knows the history of my clutch before i got it.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
peterbg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more video. I'm not that exhaust literate, so excuse the question: To be clear, you still have your cats on, and no headers, right?
Yea you got it right. I'll be posting several more videos after this weekend. Launch, interior and idle.
Old 10-29-2011, 08:02 AM   #16
So Slow

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Yep. I have the same catback as OP but with headers and its raspy. Extra raspy between 3k-4k. When I down shift and hit the rasp note, some friends ask "what the hell was that?!"

I havent got to watch OP's vids cause my work comp has a firewall.
So Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #17
peterbg16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikeepemclean View Post
Yep. I have the same catback as OP but with headers and its raspy. Extra raspy between 3k-4k. When I down shift and hit the rasp note, some friends ask "what the hell was that?!"

I havent got to watch OP's vids cause my work comp has a firewall.
Looks like we have the same car, not just exhaust lol.
I kind of want to hear your car with the headers. I was wondering whether or not to save up for AA Headers, but not sure if I don't want to just get an AA chip and TMS Pulleys...
Old 10-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #18
Redline

Quote:
I kind of want to hear your car with the headers. I was wondering whether or not to save up for AA Headers, but not sure if I don't want to just get an AA chip and TMS Pulleys...
headers are headers, just go with ebay. same ****, not going to make any difference on our cars. if it were a vette maybe id say get the best ones. but we are talking maybe 30 horsepower with a tune, be lucky to get a 15 hp gain at the flywheel without a tune.

///M
Old 10-29-2011, 02:40 PM   #19
So Slow

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
I have bimmerbrake headers paired with my catback and love it. I have a thread in showroom with mickey mouse vids. I havent had the time to make a nice vid.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=teaser
So Slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 05:31 PM   #20
BmwPerfection

My Ride: 3.5 M3 & 00 323ci
Send a message via AIM to BmwPerfection
Great vids. Both exhaust systems sound very nice!