E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
jimmy schimmel

My Ride: 325i
Gotta hand it to bmw

Yesterday I swapped out my oil filter housing gasket because my 325i was leaking very bad. Previously I swapped the oil pan gasket and that didn't solve the leak.
So I read a bunch of forums and diys to get ready for the swap. And I have to say it was much easier than expected. Bmw did a great job assembling this engines and everything is really easy to remove and reinstall! Everyone always seems to say euro cars are so tough but so far it's been a lot better than some of those Japanese cars out there

So far no leaks hopefully it stays that way!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Bimmer App

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
Megalocnus

My Ride: 05 330i ZHP/MT
After doing the oil pan gasket, the oil filter housig gasket naturally would seem easy in comparison.

Last edited by Megalocnus; 04-20-2013 at 01:22 PM.
Megalocnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:24 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Yup, it's not too hard to work on these engines. Just take your time, use common sense and you're done.
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Blueandwhite85

My Ride: E46
Nice job OP
Blueandwhite85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:47 PM   #5
zander271

My Ride: 6spd ZHP/5sp XI
Go work on and Audi or VW LOL!

Yea these cars are cake to work on.
zander271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
ImolaSix

My Ride: '02 330Ci M-sport
Easiest car I've worked on is the E46 hands down. A big part of it is the longitudinally mounted inline six. Makes all the accessories easy to get to.

Worst by far was my mother's old Audi 90 2.8 V6. Absolute nightmare.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Audi is a nightmare.
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #8
jimmy schimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megalocnus View Post
After doing the oil pan gasket, the oil filter housig gasket naturally would seem easy in comparison.
Well I've done plenty of other things also and overall it's been pretty sensible. Unlike my girlfriends Chrysler which requires you to lower the engine to remove the spark plugs and take out the fender well for do the belts.

Old 04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
jimmy schimmel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Audi is a nightmare.
I agree. Helped my friend with the 1.8t audi and it's just terrible to do anything

Old 04-20-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Audi is a nightmare.
+1. I hated my VW 2.8 V6. I shall never buy a VW again, not counting the Porsche of course
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #11
DarkSyde330ci

My Ride: COUPE
VW's are what I had before the BMW and I honestly love the designs of both these German cars compared to others. Some things are tricky but the designs actually all make sense unlike the other vehicles, it is very impressive.

Timing belts suck, I'm sticking with chains for now on though

Last edited by DarkSyde330ci; 04-20-2013 at 07:45 PM.
DarkSyde330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #12
wildirish317

My Ride: 2004 325Ci vert
I have a '97 Civic that's pretty easy to work on. Replaced the CV axels today, pretty easy job. I have a '05 Kia Sorento that's a bitch to work on. My daughter has my old '03 Passat, it's somewhere in between the Kia and Honda. My E46 is easy to work on, but not quite as easy as the Honda. The Honda is a 4 banger, which makes things a lot easier.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
wildirish317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
DarkSyde330ci

e46 are easy to work on.... until the head gasket pops. I heard that job sucks due to setting the timing... most just replace the engine or so I hear. Any clarification on this? I prefer to try the headgasket myself before I look for a motor.

I've owned every different style and type of motors and I prefer the feel of an inline 6 over everything else! BMWs have good combos to me, inline 6, timing chains, good looks and RWD.

Last edited by DarkSyde330ci; 04-20-2013 at 08:29 PM.
DarkSyde330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:21 PM   #14
wildirish317

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSyde330ci View Post
e46 are easy to work on.... until the head gasket pops. I heard that job sucks due to setting the timing...
If you've ever replaced a timing belt on a Mitsubishi V6, you should have no problem setting the timing on any car. It took me about 10 hours to get the damn belt set so that two rotations of the crankshaft showed everything in it's proper place.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
Old 04-20-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
DarkSyde330ci

I've done the Mitsubishi v6 timing belts and Honda and VW 4 bangers... I guess I'd just need the double vanos tool but it seems like everyone who's attempted timing on a double vanos motor can't get it set back perfect. The Mitsubishi v6 has the tensioner that needs compressed and gotta insert an almost needle sized Allen key to hold it in order to get it all set....that was the longest belt job I've ever done I hate Mitsubishi/Chrysler v6s. Water pumps with the crossover tube that like to leak and are hard to get to.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #16
wildirish317

lol, yeah, I've got a small coolant leak after the Mitsubishi timing belt change that I'm hoping will seal itself. It's stopped losing fluid, but still has an antifreeze odor at times.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
killj0y

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImolaSix View Post
Easiest car I've worked on is the E46 hands down. A big part of it is the longitudinally mounted inline six. Makes all the accessories easy to get to.

Worst by far was my mother's old Audi 90 2.8 V6. Absolute nightmare.
Don't know my rangers a cinch to wrench on lol. Plus for oil changes I don't even need to Jack it up
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
killj0y

My Ride: 2000 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy schimmel View Post
Yesterday I swapped out my oil filter housing gasket because my 325i was leaking very bad. Previously I swapped the oil pan gasket and that didn't solve the leak.
So I read a bunch of forums and diys to get ready for the swap. And I have to say it was much easier than expected. Bmw did a great job assembling this engines and everything is really easy to remove and reinstall! Everyone always seems to say euro cars are so tough but so far it's been a lot better than some of those Japanese cars out there

So far no leaks hopefully it stays that way!

Lol it's an easy job, except when I did mine one of the bolts snapped while tightening it with a torque wrench...luckily I got it out but for a second I was like #!$& anyways it sat for two days until all new bolts came in from the dealership.

Personally it's not too bad to wrench on but I hate the weak fasteners.
killj0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:12 AM   #19
e46cruiser

My Ride: 02 325i
Yup got to give it to bmw they did a great job making everything simple to work on, I recently did my friends spark plugs on an 08 wrx and let me tell you it was horrible lol

Instagram: @_victorg

e46cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote