E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-10-2015, 06:23 PM   #1
Diog

My Ride: 2000 Z28
Cool Wiper Blade Replacement Advice - GOOD STUFF!!

Recently, I wanted to get some new Wiper Blades for my 2002 325i.
I didn't think this should be Rocket-Science, they're just Wiper Blades, Right??

Well - Too Make a Long Story Short, you can't just get ANY Wiper-Blades to fit your E46, as I found out...

*The ONLY Wipers that will Fit from a RETAIL STORE are Bosch!!
YES - That's Right!! The Other Brands do NOT Fit Correctly!

You CAN Go to the Dealer, and just get New Rubber-Inserts if you want.
But I figured that would be kinda Dumb, considering our E46's came with the Frame-Style Wipers with the 'Se-saws' that allow for Flexibility. The Same Stuff that EVERYONE has had for over 50 Years.

Ice and Snow gets into those parts, and then the Wiper can't clear your Wind-Shield for crap. I've been there, and most likely you have too.

I wanted the Straight Beam-Style Blades, since I've had good luck with them in my Z28.
Whatever you've heard about them, they are Much Better than ordinary Wipers (depending on Brand).
I Originally bought TricoForce Beam-Style Blades, and they didn't Fit correctly. They didn't even SNAP into Place.
They were ALSO not the same size. Our Car's Factory Wiper-Blades are actually abit Longer than the Recommended Sizes you find in the Parts-Catalogues. The Catalogues say we need an A22 for the Drivers-Side & a B19 for the Passengers-Side. The Factory Wipers are over 1/2" Longer for whatever reason.
After doing a little Research, I found-out our WIPER ARMS ARE MADE BY BOSCH!!!! [Take one of your Wiper Arms off for yourself, and on the Inside of the part near the armature it says 'Bosch']
Now that's obviously a German Company, and Bosch makes ALLOT of stuff for almost Any Car. But this means Bosch Wipers should Fit!!
So - I Exchanged the Trico's for Bosch Icons, which were actually a little less expensive (in Meijer, where I bought the Trico's).
I Figured I'd go for an Inch Larger than the Recommend Size, like an A23 & a B20. As I found out, there is no such thing as an A23.
NO BIGGIE - I Bought an A24 & a B20 Size.

Now - I know these are just Wipers, and I never Expected them to be Perfect. BUT - The Bosch Icons Fit LIKE A GLOVE!!!! Just like how our Other BMW Parts Fit!!

AND - They Cover more of the Wind-Shield due to getting Slightly Longer Blades!!
*I Did have to Adjust the Drivers-Side Wiper Arm abit lower to make sure the 24" Blade didn't go off the Wind-Shield. It didn't take much of a Adjustment.

SO - If you need New Wipers, and you want those Solid Beam-Style Blades, Just get Bosch Icons in size A24 & B20. Adjust your Drivers-Side Arm if needed by removing the Bolt, turn it closer to the Bottom of the Wind-Shield, Tighten it back down and PRESTO!
Diog is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i

...no offense but everybody here already kinda knew this but thank you for the dissertation
Old 01-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #3
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Thanks for sharing all your research. (And I wish you still COULD get just the inserts at the dealer, but BMW ended that.)

The beam style you like was good enough for BMW to switch to them for all new models, and even some E46 got them. There's actually a BMW part # for a retrofit kit to do what you did.

Well enjoy the rain and clear vision
Old 01-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #4
Foxtrot_Uniform

My Ride: 325Xi
Valeo wipers are the best! Amazon is where I buy mine.
Old 01-10-2015, 11:19 PM   #5
saxual328ci

My Ride: 2004 325ci
I asked a few years ago about the part no. and got a few inserts from the dealer. My quest gave me atleast 3-4 options and links on this forum. Like hitbyastick said

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpos...0&postcount=14
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...0#post14092480

@OP Allot is used incorrectly. Allot means to hand out. "A lot" which is commonly spelled incorrectly is defined as "many". Most people assume that its one word when it's actually two words.
Old 01-11-2015, 12:00 AM   #6
Ceric

My Ride: 2005 BMW 325i
I hate that big huge whale of a hump on the Icons where the wiper blade connects to the wiper arm. I've had mine on for 8 months now and I hate that big hump. What is the blade that everyone uses with that nice low profile wind deflector on them? The seems very low profile and almost invisible.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:31 AM   #7
Diog

My Point was that the Sizes are really A24 & B20...

If you get the A22 & B19, they will Obviously Fit.
But they wont cover your Wind-Shield as well.

And you don't need any Refit Kit to do this. In fact, there's no point in getting such a Kit if you just get a Size Bigger Bosch Wipers.

The A24 & B20 will cover your Wind-Shield better. Even if you get a Brand like Valeo, you still want A24 & B20's.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:37 AM   #8
uliv1c

My Ride: 2002 E46sedan
I just bought some Bosch Icons from Walmart . They are very quite blades unlike my previous ones. Don't evevn know they're there. Pricey but worth every penny

Last edited by uliv1c; 01-11-2015 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Wrong spelling
uliv1c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:49 AM   #9
Diog

They are less than $18 per Wiper-Blade in Meijer.
I paid over $35 for my Trico's a few years ago for my Camaro. Considering how long a Typical Blade lasts, it's Totally Worth it!!

Last edited by Diog; 01-11-2015 at 01:50 AM.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:04 AM   #10
eneka

My Ride: 2003 325i
Am I the only one that doesn't like these one-piece wipers on the e46? They just look so bulky and ruin the front end. The ones on newers BMWs are fine because they're so much smaller, but I just don't think they look good at all on e46's
Old 01-11-2015, 05:29 AM   #11
Diog

That's because you've seen them on E46's that haven't had the Wiper-Arm Adjusted for them. That - And they Probably have the A22 & B19's.
A24 and B20's look like One Wiper together, and Thin.
I'll get some Pics up for you of mine when I can.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:47 AM   #12
Mr Podman

My Ride: E46 Coupe
If you want a new set of wiper blades that are identical to the factory originals, they are Bosch Part No. 3-397-001-394.

Amazon.com is your friend.

podman

Last edited by Mr Podman; 01-11-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Mr Podman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 10:51 AM   #13
redfeathers

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330 ci
Use to do windshield wiper design. It's a science. Bending the blade for a better fit will not work. I would trust the dealer blades only since they do the real design for them. They have to fit perfect along the curved glass at every point.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #14
ChuckyVee

My Ride: 2000 323i
I tried the Icons and didn't have any luck. Wouldn't wipe a large area directly in my line of sight. Don't recall the sizes at the moment.

Went to O'Reillys and they had these in the back. Weren't cheap but are awesome. Best wipers ever. Traditional articulating blade design and even come with the little spoiler. Truly plug and play!

First Bimmer..."Miss December"...2000 323i, purchased Dec. 2013 w/82K on the clock. PM thus far...pads/rotors, belts/pulleys, complete CS overhaul, FCABs, plugs, autotranny/differential service, fuel pump, filter, and relay. Emergency repairs...PS pump, turn signal stalk, CPS, Ignition Coil #2 cyl, electric aux fan.
ChuckyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:25 AM   #15
Dave1027

My Ride: '06 IR 330ci zhp
I got a set of oem BMW brand blades off ebay for $29 shipped. I think that is the best at a good price. You can get cheaper but like the previous poster said, the oems are designed for the car and work the best.
Dave1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #16
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
OEM Bosch/Valeo wipers hands down
Solidjake is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #17
brnjac

My Ride: 2005 BMW 320i
The guy that was working at the Lordco almost refused to sell me these wipers because he said that they wouldn't fit my BMW because they didn't fit his Audi. After arguing with him, I just walked out of the store with one wiper blade, put it on, and came back to pay for the blade I walked out with and the second one to complete the set.

Audi guy didn't say a word.

Living in the most beautiful place on earth.
2005 320i, 126,xxx KM

Vancouver, B.C.
brnjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 01:43 PM   #18
hitbyastick

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnjac View Post
The guy that was working at the Lordco almost refused to sell me these wipers because he said that they wouldn't fit my BMW because they didn't fit his Audi. After arguing with him, I just walked out of the store with one wiper blade, put it on, and came back to pay for the blade I walked out with and the second one to complete the set.

He was only trying to help.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:51 PM   #19
brnjac

My Ride: 2005 BMW 320i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitbyastick View Post
He was only trying to help.
Nah, He was kind of being an ass about it. I just wanted the damn wipers and he was giving me a hell of a hard time. Acting like he knew it all about European cars.

Living in the most beautiful place on earth.
2005 320i, 126,xxx KM

Vancouver, B.C.
brnjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2015, 03:22 PM   #20
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by brnjac View Post
Checkmate

Tags
wiper blade replacement