E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #1
GeorgeCz

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Spark Plugs incorrect?

Greetings.

I have a 2002 BMW 325i - let us call her a problem child. Simply because no matter what I have replaced as of late has done no good. It has been a ton of things. The cold-start issue(s) still continue. But I digress.

My question is this - which type of spark plugs do you use or have success with? I had pulled out some NGK (6962) BKR6E plugs and replaced with Bosch Platinum 4 which I thought were pretty decent plugs. Had it at a shop and plugs 3 and 6 misfire every start.. not every so often - every start. 2 mechanics told me they were the wrong plugs - said the platinum 4's do not work so swell.. put the NGK back in - Really? Could the incorrect type plugs be causing many of the issues I have had at cold start?

Any advice? NGK (6962) BKR6E or NGK (3199) BKR6EQUP
GeorgeCz is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Zchild

My Ride: 2000 BMW 3XXi ZSP
Most folks will recommend you still to the NGK (3199) BKR6EQUP. My concern if you're experiencing cold start issues is VANOS seal issue. Depending on the mileage the VANOS seals begin to wear out and you'll begin to have cold-start issues. I would suggest trying the suggested plugs and then looking into the VANOS seal replacement. It's a relatively simple DIY but its alot of tedious work. Just my two and a half cents worth...
NCC High Performance Driving School Back-Up Registrar
NCC Auto-X BOD Liaison
DIY Senior Committee Coordinator
2006 E90 325Xi & 2000 E46 3XXi
" Vision without resources is just hallucination"
Zchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:17 PM   #3
DavidNathan

My Ride: 2002 330ci 5MT
NGK is generally more recommended... But I've had no problems with 1000 miles on my Bosch platinum +4s

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

2002 330ci 5mt - 94k miles

"If you aren't driving a stick shift BMW, you're just steering"

If anyone in SoCal wants to join my friends and I on weekend drives, PM me!
DavidNathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
addam03E46

My Ride: 2003 325i
I'm guessing maybe it's just a matter of you didn't seat your coil packs onto the plugs all the way. I'd go back in and reseat/replug everything in again before you yank out the new plugs and put in the new ones.
addam03E46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:05 PM   #5
pcarney

My Ride: 2002 330ci
What has been replaced so far? I guarantee the issue is not ignition related. What codes do you have?
pcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
GeorgeCz

What has been replaced:

Bosch Platinum-4 Plugs
Bosch Coils (ALL 6) and yes they are seated good -
Upper Boot
DISA O-ring
CCV & and all hoses
LUK Power steering pump
Oil Pan Gasket
Air Pump Hose
AC Compressor
Control Arm Bushings (Meyle)
Bosch O2 Sensor Bank 2 Sensor 1 (precat)

and it is always codes P0444, P1347, P1352 (cylinder 3 and 6)

Working on board with jB on a vacuum leak / hose leak. I do not have access to a smoke tester and looked up on youtube but not enough knowledge to even know where I should put a hose and start blowing smoke - lol - I'd hyperventilate.

Thank you for your opinions on the plugs folks - I probably should have researched first but thought - Oh I'll just look it up on NAPA and behold these came up - I did screw my eyes a little after I pulled the old ones out and noticed a big difference. But newer = better - not in this case I suppose.

Last edited by GeorgeCz; 08-28-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 03:35 PM   #7
jfoj

My Ride: '06 330CiC, '03 M5
YouTube, search Scotty Smoke Test.

Blow smoke down the dipstick tube, you may have to bubble through the oil. You can remove the oil fill cap until the smoke appears, then reinstall the cap.

Rubber glove over the MAF. Smoke in the larger hose a the F-connector, a hose in a slit finger on the glove or the brake booster vacuum hose.

You will find a leak before before you pass out if it is a big one.

Plan on replacing the Evap solenoid as well.

Since the CCV was replaced, you may have a hose that is not seated/connected properly?

Warm idle Fuel Trims are going to be the most useful here to get a better idea as to what is going on along with Smoke Testing. If the lower intake boot was not replaced, this is the one that has more overall problems then the upper boot!

Fuel pump failures - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=929501

Temp Info - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=964491

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

E46/E39 GM5 Door Lock Info - www.bmwgm5.com

Lower hose fan switch O-ring - BMW #13621743299
jfoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
pcarney

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Yes Purge Valve is possibly stuck open.
pcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
jfoj

P0444 is actually listed as an "Open Circuit" error which may be more of an electrical fault, HOWEVER, without knowing EXACTLY how the DME knows there is an electrical fault with the Purge Valve, it may expect something to be registered/feed back via the O2 sensors when the valve is opened vs a supervisory Voltage to the valve.

You should check the connection and if it is good, I would consider replacing the Purge Valve, but you could also plug the hose that goes to the intake and see if it helps the cold start problems. It may trigger other Purge related codes, but who cares, you have disabled the Purge valve/system by plugging the vacuum hose so you EXPECT to see other Purge system errors. But you will also likely only see these additional Purge errors if you drive the car on the highway.

Hidden OBC Menu - Check Voltage, Temps, Fuel Level - http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=239619

Old 08-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
GeorgeCz

Question:
Is the PCV and CCV the same thing? I just replaced the CCV --- hmm
Old 08-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #11
jfoj

There is the evaporative purge system and the CCV system, two separate systems

Old 09-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #12
GeorgeCz

Hello folks -

This question revolved around the plugs for the 325i - NGK - are favored by a vast majority!

Now how about the coils? On RealOem they have both Bosch and Bremi listed for the 2002 325i. I see the Bremi are a tad less expensive so I'm thinking of leaning this way. It also has 2 different type Bremi part numbers listed but i'm not sure what difference it may make.

I'd like to ask which is preferred?

Regards
George

Last edited by GeorgeCz; 09-25-2014 at 06:51 PM.
Old 09-26-2014, 06:43 AM   #13
addam03E46

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeCz View Post
Hello folks -

This question revolved around the plugs for the 325i - NGK - are favored by a vast majority!

Now how about the coils? On RealOem they have both Bosch and Bremi listed for the 2002 325i. I see the Bremi are a tad less expensive so I'm thinking of leaning this way. It also has 2 different type Bremi part numbers listed but i'm not sure what difference it may make.

I'd like to ask which is preferred?

Regards
George

When i thought i had a bad coil(s) (turned out to be a failing fuel pump), i did a lot of research and Bremi, which was OEM, apparently had a high failure rate from the factory. So my plan was to spend the few extra bucks and go for the Bosch.

That being said......All mine are still OEM (Bremi) and have 116,000 miles on them with no issues, so that may of been an early production issue that got resolved. But i still think, as cheap as they are, i'd still go with Bosch if i had to buy one or six..
addam03E46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 01:54 AM   #14
NumbaOneNewb

My Ride: 2003 330CI Silver
how much are new plugs anyways? if you are skeptical about them (my uncle who's a master mechanic has had issues using bosch plugs that sent him in a loop, frustrating the crap out of him until he found it was the plugs) then just give it a try
Portland Metro: ECU updates, Euro tune, euro corner delete, air bag light, DSC light, cluster and any led color change, soldering work, transponders for keys, and all custom work related to computer or electronics.DIY AK90 A walk through on coding your mcu and transponders EWS3 How to make your own key (ak90 review)
NumbaOneNewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:22 AM   #15
Rob43
Hates Low RPM !

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
OP, if you haven't done this yet give it a try:

SWAP cylinder 3 and 6 coils into any other cylinders & see if the problem follows them, this is relatively easy & it's free.

Good luck,
Rob43

PS, My favorite plug for the Non-M E46 is the NGK BKR6EIX, & we haven't even talked about gapping them yet......

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Need Help With Your Nitrous Ambitions ?.....PM ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 AM   #16
GeorgeCz

I've swapped 3 & 6 coils a couple times and even tried NEW Bosch coils in the same cylinders - Misfires - coils are not the problem.
Had the pressure test on coolant and engine - no leaks or cracked block -

BTW I did replace the plugs (6) with the NGK's ----

It seems that the valve cover gasket may be culprit -
Thinking JFOJ is on track (yet again) -