E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
Crawfo

My Ride: 1999 328i
Why is this happening?? Exterior temp light on dash started flashing

So I left my BMW outside the last two nights b/c I have not stored the Mustang yet. It has gotten cold the last few nights, 32/34 degrees. When I got in my car and started down the driveway there was an audible beep and the exterior temp light on dash started flashing. Once I change the temp to C and back to F is stops. However once I cycle through the cluster info and go back to temp starts blinking. Any ideas?
This has happened the last two days. I do not have an owners manual yet I have ordered one off ebay should be here soon. Please let me know what it could be. Thanks in advance. Bought car in July and the first time it has gotten this cold scince I have owned the car.
Crawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
jfoj

My Ride: 330CiC, M5, X5
Normal.

I think when the temp hits 37 degress it beeps and flashes to warn of possible road icing conditions.

This is a feature that can be disabled, but you cannot do it, it would take the dealer or a good Indy with special software and about $70-$120 of your money!
jfoj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
Crawfo

My Ride: 1999 328i
Thanks for your speedy responce. I need the owner manual. Never thought that I would be excited about getting an owners manual.
Crawfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
OrientBlau

My Ride: 2003 330i
Freezing is 32F (as we ll know).

When the ambient temp reaches 37F it beeps to alert you to the fact that roads may begin to ice up. Reason being, that at 37 and below, ice can begin to form.

From the Manual:

Quote:
Ice warning
If the outside temperature drops to

about 37.5
7/+36, then the computer
will automatically switch to a display of
the outside temperature. In addition, a
signal sounds as a warning and the display
flashes for a brief period.

After giving an ice warning, the
display returns to the previous

setting.
<

The ice warning does not alter the
fact that surface ice can form at
temperatures above 37.5

7/+36, on
bridges or shaded road surfaces, for
instance.
<

OrientBlau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawfo View Post
Thanks for your speedy responce. I need the owner manual. Never thought that I would be excited about getting an owners manual.
You can download a PDF of the manual from the BMW website.
Old 10-05-2010, 02:47 PM   #6
rwall

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Wait, what?! This can be disabled? Please, how?! I hate this feature.
rwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
Tangent_

My Ride: '01 330i, '11 Z435i
Aw man, is it that time of year again already? Time for the nearly daily posts about the 37* beep/flash?

The only option as far as this warning goes is a choice between the display switching to the temperature and staying there after the beep/flash, or returning to the previously selected display (mileage, time, etc...). By default it will switch back to the previous display; if you want to change that you'll need to go to the dealership to have them program it.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:08 PM   #8
OrientBlau

TBH, it doesn't bother me at all. It is there as a safety feature, after all. If anything, it reminds me to be careful, especially if the roads are wet and may become icy, soon.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
jfoj

Why the hell can't you program the beep to happen on low fuel, that is a much more useful feature.
Old 10-05-2010, 03:59 PM   #10
GCoop

My Ride: '04 325xi
Here we go again. First one of the season.

OP, AS has been said its normal and can be turned off with programming.
GCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #11
Tangent_

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfoj View Post
Why the hell can't you program the beep to happen on low fuel, that is a much more useful feature.
Probably because low fuel is not a safety issue, possible ice on the road is.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #12
jfoj

Low fuel is a safety issue, probably more so then a 37 degree temp alert.

Albeit, something someone needs to pay attention to each either way.

Usually slippery road conditions are more obvious then the car running out of fuel.

If I could choose, I would prefer the a low fuel audible alert to go along with the yellow light. I do a lot of city/stop and go driving so I usually do not even pay attention to the speedometer as there are so many cars, you just move with the flow.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
OrientBlau

Quote:

Usually slippery road conditions are more obvious then the car running out of fuel.

If I could choose, I would prefer the a low fuel audible alert to go along with the yellow light. I do a lot of city/stop and go driving so I usually do not even pay attention to the speedometer as there are so many cars, you just move with the flow.

People miss intermittent sounds like a few beeps, especially if the radio is on or they're distracted some other way, like being on a cell call. Steady illumination of an annunciator light directly in front of you is an indication that fuel starvation is addresed much more seriously, than temp is, by BMW.

When that light comes on, I always notice it - and PRESS the mileage RESET button whether or not I'm not near a station (SOP - I do so anyway, even if Im near a station). This way, I know how much fuel I'm playing with, as the light comes on at 2 gallons.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:45 PM   #14
Tangent_

Quote:

Then again, the fuel supply situation is constantly visible via the gauge plus the roughly 40 miles-to-empty warning of the low fuel light. Your fuel situation isn't likely to change anything even close to fast enough that it can catch you by surprise. In the winter my morning drive can have temperatures dip in and out of the 37* warning zone several times over the course of my 35 minute drive. Luckily BMW thought to put a timer on the freeze warning system and while the temperature will flash each time it dips back down to 37 or below, it only beeps the first time.
Old 10-05-2010, 06:42 PM   #15
VonGeiss

My Ride: 2002 m3
How about a beep when the car begins to overheat? That would be the best. Many people don't notice it until they look down and it's lit up red, all the way to the right, which is most of the time too late.

2002 Carbon Black ///M3 - current
2002 Stahlgrau ///M3 - RIP
2001 325i - sold

Instagram: @VONGEISS
VonGeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 06:46 PM   #16
the_curry_man

My Ride: 2001 330i 5spd ZSP!!
wow, op, its just a beep that reminds you its cold outside...i guess its bad that ur cars trying to be nice and tell u the outside temp...and u dont need a beep for fuel, u have a gauge for it..thatd be like asking for a beep if u go over a certian rpm or certian speed. same with oil temp... not trying to be a d!ck or anything but really?

Ebay Headers
Dinan Cold air intake
Orion V2 angel eyes
18' tsw rims
clears all around
weighted shift knob
CSL Front bumper
Red sharpie mod
Strut Bar
M3 lip spoiler
UUC Stage 2 Lightweight Aluminum Flywheel
UUC Performance Organic Clutch
Magnaflow Muffler
the_curry_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #17
Tangent_

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGeiss View Post
How about a beep when the car begins to overheat? That would be the best. Many people don't notice it until they look down and it's lit up red, all the way to the right, which is most of the time too late.
I'd rather have an accurate temperature gauge. If it's going to be the worthless ones we got stuck with, a beep warning of impending doom would be nice though...
Old 10-05-2010, 07:04 PM   #18
OrientBlau

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonGeiss View Post
Im sure the industry prefers it this way. More revenue across the board in parts and service.

almost like planned obsolescence....
Old 10-06-2010, 02:36 PM   #19
rwall

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Curry man, some of us don't need to be nannied by our cars and prefer to use our brains. Just sayin' Use 'em if you got 'em.

So, is it indeed true that the car can be programmed to NOT beep? Anyone with constructive, real info here?
rwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.2222 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwall View Post
Curry man, some of us don't need to be nannied by our cars and prefer to use our brains. Just sayin' Use 'em if you got 'em.

So, is it indeed true that the car can be programmed to NOT beep? Anyone with constructive, real info here?
Dude, you have 63 posts, so I don't know how long you've been here, or how many posts you've read, but people here rarely offer constructive advice, and most of what I read is unreal.

I've heard of other forums that are much better, but haven't found any...might just be a legend promulgated on a troll-fanatic.

That beep can be eliminated easily I'm sure...just snip one wire to the beeper...and then, if I know my bmws, you'll just then need to put a little piece of electric tape over the light warning that the beeper is off...that, or there might be a backup beeper (not to be confused with the reversing beeper, which might be another option available).

Many of us have been here a while helping many others...like me...and many of us also remember very well how people behave, and help accordingly. In this thread...OP asked question guaranteed to entertain many of us...and it did...and he/she got an answer, correctly. Another successful thread in fanatics history!

Be nice...srsly...lots of help here to lose otherwise...just saying, nothing personal, friendly advice from old guy...bygones!

HTH

Doug