E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 81 votes, 4.60 average. Display Modes
Old 04-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #201
Tament

My Ride: 2001 330I
Excellent thread
Tament is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:36 PM   #202
BMW-North

My Ride: 01ci,03i,03xi,04xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325xi2004 View Post
I'm finding oil drips where this is joined. Is this the differential rear cover gasket leaking? If so, is it a DIY or do I need to take it to the garage? Thanks!
Boy haven't been on here in a couple of years. To the poster above - I realize you posted this a while ago - but I went thru the rest of the thread and never saw a reply to your question and this is one of the best "leak" threads so I thought I'd answer your question, rather than leave incomplete.

The leak is only applicable to the xi models. It is the o-ring leaking that is between the oil pan and the front differential. BMW part #31511213527. It is about $2 but takes a fair bit of time to replace. The oil will run down and appear as if it is leaking from the gasket where the diff is bolted together. The Bentley has a section specifically for this o-ring replacement.

It is the number 8 on the right side of the pic.

I added two more images just to put the leak into reference for others trying to locate it. On the drivers side of the oil pan (front axle) between the differential on xi models.

Last edited by BMW-North; 05-12-2013 at 05:38 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 PM   #203
BABY

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330 Cic
Thanks, pics and parts just helped!

My BABY! 2005 330 Cic, premium & sport package, style 71's.
BABY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #204
CORVAIRWILD

My Ride: Diesel Subrban 325xi
I read every post... Yeesh!!!
Old 06-06-2013, 06:22 AM   #205
CORVAIRWILD

Hard to follow... Anyone?
Old 06-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #206
comova

My Ride: Silver 325Cic
Alfy... sober up, slow down, take a deep breath and explain yourself proper. Cheers.

"The problem with the designated driver program, it's not a desirable job, but if you ever get sucked into doing it, have fun with it. At the end of the night, drop them off at the wrong house." -Jeff Foxworthy
comova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:55 PM   #207
CORVAIRWILD

I get text mssgs like that all the time. I have to re-read them a few times to place the punctuation.

Eats Shoot and Leaves...

Eats, shoots, and leaves... Its' the title of a book...

We rent apartments for a living, and prolly half of the messages are incomprehensible... Either the folks mumble, or we get a cell tower click during the telly number. I always repeat my telly 3 times, in a clear strong voice. Even with a digital recorder on folk's fone, raising your voice cuts thru the noise abatement technology, that IMO just muffles voices, and details, like the fone number. I think I'll make a video of the messages we get... It's pretty sad when people can't even speak their name comprehensibly.
I'm not sure if Alfyman realizes the difficulty folks have in understanding exactly what he's trying to convey. We don't want to discourage postings, but a quick re-read would be a help.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:05 PM   #208
Alfyman

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CORVAIRWILD View Post
I get text mssgs like that all the time. I have to re-read them a few times to place the punctuation.

Eats Shoot and Leaves...

Eats, shoots, and leaves... Its' the title of a book...

We rent apartments for a living, and prolly half of the messages are incomprehensible... Either the folks mumble, or we get a cell tower click during the telly number. I always repeat my telly 3 times, in a clear strong voice. Even with a digital recorder on folk's fone, raising your voice cuts thru the noise abatement technology, that IMO just muffles voices, and details, like the fone number. I think I'll make a video of the messages we get... It's pretty sad when people can't even speak their name comprehensibly.
I'm not sure if Alfyman realizes the difficulty folks have in understanding exactly what he's trying to convey. We don't want to discourage postings, but a quick re-read would be a help.
Sorry Guys, thats what stressed out drunk people sound like.
Alfyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:08 PM   #209
Alfyman

My Ride: 323i
Quote:
Originally Posted by comova View Post
Alfy... sober up, slow down, take a deep breath and explain yourself proper. Cheers.
Thanks, and Sorry guys, I was just stressed out..
Alfyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #210
CORVAIRWILD

It's OK, I just got a call from the State Police cause we had to go over a naybors land to cut our grass... What a stupidity... some folks just want confrontations... I hope I didn't offend you Alfy... Watch my vids, maybe you'll get a kick CORVAIRWILD on ytube
Old 06-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #211
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Thanks OP! Subscribed.
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:01 PM   #212
Augster

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport
Why the heck isn't this a sticky after all these years???

Immense gratitude to the OP!
Augster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #213
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
I am not liked around these parts by some people! But its ok, it's easily searchable and you can just subscribe to it.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #214
YOnpds

My Ride: E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330ciandr6 View Post
I am not liked around these parts by some people! But its ok, it's easily searchable and you can just subscribe to it.
Or... add it to your signature
YOnpds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #215
330ciandr6

My Ride: .
Send a message via AIM to 330ciandr6 Send a message via Yahoo to 330ciandr6
Quote:
Originally Posted by YOnpds View Post
Or... add it to your signature
I did long time ago.
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #216
seafeye

My Ride: Porsche Cayenne S
Great thread.

I am a Porsche guy (Don't hate me). My wife has a 2002 330CIC.
Yesterday the serpentine belt shredded on her car. About a year ago we had the belt replaced and pulley's tensioner etc…. The belt squealed all the time. The shop then replaced the belt again but the noise continued. Anyway….. yesterday i asked them to look at the car because they did the work. And got a bill for $200 for a belt change. Guess I will be doing the work myself from now on.
For my Porsches i would buy parts from different suppliers but wanted to know where the BMW people buy theirs.

Any recommendations?

I posted in this thread because i want to do all the things listed above.
Power Steering lines, oil filter housing, Air/Oil separator etc…..
And would like to buy all the parts in one place and do it all at one time. So i can get back to working on porches.
seafeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #217
seafeye

Great thread.

Yesterday the serpentine belt shredded on her car. About a year ago we had the belt replaced and pulley's tensioner etc.... The belt squealed all the time. The shop then replaced the belt again but the noise continued. Anyway..... yesterday i asked them to look at the car because they did the work. And got a bill for $200 for a belt change. Guess I will be doing the work myself from now on.
For my Porsches i would buy parts from different suppliers but wanted to know where the BMW people buy theirs.

Any recommendations?

Power Steering lines, oil filter housing, Air/Oil separator etc.....
And would like to buy all the parts in one place and do it all at one time. So i can get back to working on easy cars.

Last edited by seafeye; 09-26-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 09-26-2013, 10:09 AM   #218
bradleyg
unregistered user

My Ride: '02 325ci
My go to places are

Pelican Parts http://www.pelicanparts.com

ECS Tuning http://www.ecstuning.com

Turner Motorsport http://www.turnermotorsport.com

I've had real good service from all of them over the years. Good prices. ECS and Turner are site sponsors.
bradleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #219
scarede46er

My Ride: 2001 BMW 325i ZSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by seafeye View Post
Great thread.

Yesterday the serpentine belt shredded on her car. About a year ago we had the belt replaced and pulley's tensioner etc.... The belt squealed all the time. The shop then replaced the belt again but the noise continued. Anyway..... yesterday i asked them to look at the car because they did the work. And got a bill for $200 for a belt change. Guess I will be doing the work myself from now on.

Any recommendations?

Power Steering lines, oil filter housing, Air/Oil separator etc.....
And would like to buy all the parts in one place and do it all at one time. So i can get back to working on easy cars.
Hey Porsches are awesome! Usually AutohausAZ.com and TheBMWPartStore. com have the best average prices for me with free shipping. Good luck!
scarede46er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #220
seafeye

Thanks

Putting an order to ECS right now.