E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 09:06 PM   #201
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
I believ so, not engine codes, had to rewire for hall to mke it start originally, but yea, pretty sure. Also, I can't pull up my save files, they have a lock icon on them...what's this...?
Old 05-22-2012, 09:08 PM   #202
diablorojo

Oh and the car starts with the harness adapted. I was tiold the car wouldn't start and run if it was installed wrong....
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #203
diablorojo

Update....

Got the car running with issues...

1. The RPM function on the FIC is no longer working

2. ECU code p0102 low MAF voltage. I hoping it's because the tach function isn't jumping the signal around properly.

3. Car heats up quickly driving for 3 min or so (high rpm's). I'm gonna go 2 stages colder on the spark plugs today.

The AF is better tho not great... Between 12 and 14 through the rpm band. Will fine tune once the issues above are resolved.

The drive....the car is strong, feels more like a turbo car, boost comes on at once I'm sure the tuning plays a part, but I also think it's the cam, it's for mid to high rpm range. I haven't driven it hard or revved past 4k.

The guy that did the head work said I would read less boost with the port work. I went from 11 psi to 5psi I guess it moves more air and lowers manifold pressure...this is great for the addition to the turbo. To simplify...my 11 psi pulley is showing 5 psi on my boost gauge. The pressure is lowered because of the TB and head (I'm guessing and researching)

Hmmm...I'll also hook my meth kit back up today....not gotta find meth on Sunday

I have also need a m3 oil filter housing, I'll pick one up this week. The oil cooler should help as well...
I really wanted to stay away from it but it's looking like I may need it...
Old 06-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #204
diablorojo

Update3

So...where do I start

that car is a monster!!!!!!

I have 2010 Jaguar XFR so I'm not easily impressed, but I am speechless over what this car has turned into. I only gave it about 50% throttle from 2500 thru 4000 rpm's and the car scares me. It was so crazy that I pulled over to make sure the meth didn't activate....lol. I just stood there looking at it. It was so bad that my neighbor came out and asked me if I was ok....

The power comes on the instant I give it gas. I pedaled into boost, 5 psi now, but the car pulled very hard and had no signs of stoping. I let off because I am having cooling issues. PLEASE HELP.

The car idles fine, runs fine until I began to drive. About a mile in the temp gauges begans to move to the red. I changed the thermostat today but still the same issue. I have no clue what it could be. I have no visible signs of a defect anywhere.

Also, the car throws no codes. Once the cooling is addressed, hopefully the next day or 2, then I will be adding the turbo (next week). Honestly, I'm hesitant because the car is so violent already and I am not sensing a loss of power in the high rpm's like before. But, with the head work making the manifold see my 11psi pulley as 5 psi, I can't resist adding 9-10 psi of turbo. I would still only be at 17 psi.

Recap:

Ported head
Pretty extreme custom cams mid to high rpm's
89mm tb
400 lph fuel pump

MUCH MORE AIR AND ONLY 5psi on an 11psi pulley! Insane!!!!

I have some fine tuning to do, but the boost kicks like a turbo (weird)
And I can't complain about the current set up. I can tell already that this car is going to break some records

Now to figur this cooling thing

Btw.....I have to thank Ritos for all his support with the FIC. It has been a struggle, but his imput cut a lot of the guess work....thanks!!!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:21 AM   #205
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Something simple as in need of a good bleeding?
Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 AM   #206
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Air in your coolant system

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Old 06-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #207
diablorojo

How do I get it out....
Old 06-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #208
diablorojo

Ignition position 2
Heater high
4000 rpm's 20 secs
Old 06-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #209
lakedude90

My Ride: 03' 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Air in your coolant system

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablorojo View Post
How do I get it out....
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
Something simple as in need of a good bleeding?
open the bleed screw turn the AC/HEAT all the way up and turn the key to postion 2 so the air comes on and start filling with coolant. once theres no air and just liquid coming out the screw you should be good.

Cant wait to see a vid man and see what numbers your putting down.
One thing I notcied you havent mentioned is a clutch. Is the stock clutch still holding? Im sure your gonna have to upgrade at some point. What are you gonna get?
lakedude90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 11:09 AM   #210
diablorojo

I definately will bleed the system but i found the issue. The puller fan ia not activating. The plugs look ok. I let the temps get to 240 ish and it didnt activate.

I also found the issue with my fic. O had wired the car maf singnal to the fic crank signal. Oddly enough, it served its purpose by send a weak singal to the maf thus allowing more boost. Havent tested it, figured it should solve the problem with the. Tach because it was the last grimlin in the fic.

Im trying to post a video, the sound on the video doesnt even come close to capturing the sound of the car.

The current issue it the fan. If i need another one...hoping i dont so pls help me trouble shoot it....i will get something stronger.

As for the clutch, its the stock clutch that came with the trans when i did the swap. Ill address it once i see the dyno numbers of the final set up. I havent launched the car or driven it very hard yet.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 06-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #211
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Congrats, I would bleed her as others have said, My brother an law bought a 740i for $700 because it kept over heating and no one could figured it out. He change the water pump, radiator, new hoses etc... and it kept over heating after running for 5 or so minutes. I just happen to go back home to visit and after five minutes on the internet to figure out how to bleed the car, trip to Autozone $12 bucks and she drives like a champ now. I want to say because of the air in the system it's not allowing the sensor to get accurate reading causing the temps to go up rapidly. Also not allowing the fan to come on when it's suppose to come on.
This is what I would do first and it want cost you anything but five minutes or so and a little antifreeze.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:04 PM   #212
diablorojo

Ritos....what's the ar on your turbo and what rpm does it begin to boost....I'm curious because of your rear mount. I went high because I wanted top end but I'm trying to get a good gauge of where boost would Begin. I have a .84 ar. I was shooting for boost around 4k. 3800 would be optimal....

I'm thinking if the sc boost at 11psi reads low, then the turbo will probably do the same. If this is the case, I can go pretty strong on the turbo. 11 = 5 psi on sc. If 14 = 8 psi on turbo, then per the compound boost calculation, the manifold will only see 15psi - 16psi.

I do understand the flow calculation is different on a turbo, but the ending amount of air is the same.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #213
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
Pics?

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:23 PM   #214
diablorojo

Video

not the best video, just figured how to upload, this was the test video.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #215
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
My turbo is a T4 .68 AR boost starts around 3000-3500rpms Full boost by 3800-4000rpms it's rather quick because of the 3.91s so it feels more instant

Old 06-05-2012, 07:22 PM   #216
diablorojo

Im puting the engine bay back together after painting it gold...

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1338942056129.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	455001  
Old 06-05-2012, 08:11 PM   #217
diablorojo

I began bleeding the coolant line. I turned ignition to position 2. Put the heat on full blast, loosen the screw, it began to hiss.....but then it wouldn't stop. Stood there for 2 minutes letting air out and then tightened it back. How long should it take?
Old 06-05-2012, 08:28 PM   #218
ritos530i

you should remove the screw until it stopped spitting out into a nice flow then I put it back in.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #219
ritos530i

see the last instructions.
http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/05/40

Old 06-06-2012, 02:08 AM   #220
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Draining & Adding Coolant

Venting Cooling System