E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #221
diablorojo

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Thanks guys, i successfully bled the system last night but won't test it until today. Hopefully it will solve the problem and get the fan working....I'll post once tested.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #222
diablorojo

The bleeding worked out well. Seems to have solved the problem. 1 issue left
Old 06-06-2012, 04:05 PM   #223
diablorojo

The bleeding worked out well. Seems to have solved the problem. 1 issue left I'm posting here and going to post in the tuning section since this is a specific problem.my car is eating spark plugs, a set a week. I'm slightly rich during normal driving, afr about 14.0 give or take .25 through the rpm's. The issue is the bouncing afr of 17.

My idle bounces between 700 and 950 rpm's. Afr 17 and bouncing higher and lower. My injectors are at 2% operating during idle. I would like to increase my idle to an even 1k rpm's. I believe this would help and give me control.

On the 330 TB there was a screw u could turn to adjust slightly. On the 540 tb there is no screw. How do I adjust the air at idle
Old 06-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #224
diablorojo

Wait, do I have backwards? Higher numbers need more fuel to bring it down....?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #225
lab rat

My Ride: '02 330iT
Yes you have it backwards.
The easiest way to remember is in the name: air to fuel. In your case 17 air:1 fuel. That's way too lean.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #226
diablorojo

I tried, I failed!!!!! One misfire is all I needed (even though it's because of the plugs) its too risky after the time and energy oh, and money

I need to find a professional with FIC experience in My area.

I am gonna get the exhaust done for the turbo. I need to be able to swap the turbo and muffler back and forth. Not hard..the performance muffler shop is walking distance from me, so that's a plus. I'll drop it off on Monday. I wanted to mount the oil cooler, but I can wait. I anticipate having the compound boost set up in the next 2 weeks.

I'll post pics tomorrow....
Old 06-09-2012, 12:15 AM   #227
diablorojo

ok, getting close to the finish line....i had an exhaust leak at the header that was causing the idle issues (it appears) because it has a steady idle now.

I have sketched 2 different set ups for the rear turbo. attached. One pic feeds straight into the turbo but i would have to craft a exhaust pipe with ah crazy bend since the exhaust side would be facing the center of the body. The other would keep the exhaust side facing the back, but the exhaust tube would be at a 90 degree angle, im thinking this will slow volocity. So im still deciding...

I am going to order 2 resonators, the car is WAY TOO LOUD even at 2k rpms. I am desperate to tone down and quite the car. I researched that the larger the diameter of the resonator, the quieter it will be, so i have my eye on a 4 or 6 inch diameter resonator.hopefully with the turbo also muffling the exhaust it can be tolerable because with these 4.10 gears i stay in high RPM's.

last items to purchase:
oil pump and oil lines
k&n filter RX 4130-1 (slim filter direct bolt to turbo)
Exhaust tips

(euro oil filter housing which isnt needed, but nice to have)

Then its off to the DYNO

I looked back through this thread, it has come along way since my engine in pieces on my garage floor, and time wasted waiting for other people to do what i was able to do with some elbow grease, sweat, and the internet!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	engine bay.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	455537   Click image for larger version

Name:	sc diagram.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	455538   Click image for larger version

Name:	turbo.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	455539  
Old 06-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #228
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Since your filter is going to be under the car in the rear, Id pick up one of those KN water bags that go around it, mainly to keep it from getting to dirty, easy to take bag off and clean it then entire filter, clean all the oil off and reoil
Old 06-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #229
Tchleung

My Ride: 02 M3
Once you put the turbo on, the car will be much much quieter as it's a muffler on its own.

00 Jet Black 323i 5MT - Fuel Saver

02 Carbon Black M3 6MT - Fun Car
456whp/312wtq @ 8psi, No #'s yet at 9psi
4.10 / Headers / ESS VT2-550+

Tchleung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #230
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tchleung View Post
Once you put the turbo on, the car will be much much quieter as it's a muffler on its own.
Its not going to quiet it down as much as you might think when its a rear mount. but it will some, just not as much as a front mount.

but then this is going off 2 identical gto's one with a single upfront and one with a single rear, but same exhuast size etc no cats no mufflers. same boost, same turbo etc etc

Last edited by InDiGlOM3; 06-09-2012 at 10:40 AM.
InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 02:36 PM   #231
diablorojo

I agree that the turbo wont do much, i dont think it will quite it more than the muffler. Im thinking that mounting it so the exhaust port is facing sideways and then customizing a "S" pipe t exit the current location would produce the most baffle, but then the concern is limiting the turbo with the s pipe...

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 06-09-2012, 05:48 PM   #232
ritos530i

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i 6speed
Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
My recommendations is to join the manifolds/headers into a 3-4 inch pipe bring it straight back bending to where the muffler will be removed. Then off the turbo using a 2-2 1/2" max pipe all the way either to your intercooler or charge pipe.

530i E60 Custom Turbo/Nitrous (PSI_unknown)
ritos530i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #233
diablorojo

Charge pipe

Yea, that's what I'm doing. U can see my crude drawing above. I wanted the exhaust to flow straight into the turbo, but i think the curved exhaust pipe would have limited the turbo. So, im gonna do dual into a single with a 90 degree turn into the turbo. It turns single about 9 inches before the turbo. I'm just trying to work out the exhaust tips. I need the flage that attaches to the exhaust side of the turbo to weld the exhaust pipe to. Working that now.

I have an idea for the charge pipe so I won't have to reduce the size of the intake tube. I don't want to limit my bottom end performance. The idea is to feed the 2.5 in charge pipe into the 3.5 inch intake pipe via a "y" weld. Ill put a boost actuated cut out on the intake side to close once the turbo begans to boost.

This should be interesting....
Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #234
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablorojo View Post
Ill put a boost actuated cut out on the intake side to close once the turbo begans to boost.

This should be interesting....
You won't see "boost" from the turbo until after that valve is closed.

The only accurate way to do this is to measure turbine speed, and base the valve closing on that. I'll warn you though....measuring turbine speed is a very expensive proposition....I'm going through this now.

My recommendation is to forget about that valve and run all of your air through the turbo.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #235
diablorojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
You won't see "boost" from the turbo until after that valve is closed.

The only accurate way to do this is to measure turbine speed, and base the valve closing on that. I'll warn you though....measuring turbine speed is a very expensive proposition....I'm going through this now.

My recommendation is to forget about that valve and run all of your air through the turbo.

The point is to not see the turbo boost until after its closed....point being the turbo boost will close it. Pretty simple concept. The valve needs to be closed, otherwise, the boost would escape through the air filter if it remained open.

I don't want to breath through the turbo because the 2.5 in charge pipe would be feeding the 3.5 in MAF, that's too much restriction and air loss for me.
Old 06-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #236
ritos530i

Send a message via MSN to ritos530i Send a message via Yahoo to ritos530i Send a message via Skype™ to ritos530i
Quote:
The point is to not see the turbo boost until after its closed....point being the turbo boost will close it. Pretty simple concept. The valve needs to be closed, otherwise, the boost would escape through the air filter if it remained open.

I don't want to breath through the turbo because the 2.5 in charge pipe would be feeding the 3.5 in MAF, that's too much restriction and air loss for me.
So once the valve closes then you are bypassing the MAF? So you'll have two intake pipes, one on supercharger and one on turbo?
This is going to be a tuning nightmare and I don't think the AEM FIC will do the job. In my opinion a better way would be to run them both together as the mustang guys run their setup but I have very little knowledge on this whole concept. I'm really curious to see the out come.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #237
diablorojo

Here is another quick sketch. Maybe this will help. The ecu should have no additional trouble because its still a simple maf calculation. Now, based on this sketch, where are u saying the issue would be...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1339346178637.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	455681  
Old 06-10-2012, 11:53 AM   #238
zcchen

My Ride: Z3M/E90M3
wouldn't it work better if you feed all air through the turbo into the twinscrew? so it will be filter->turbo->MAF->TS
zcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:05 PM   #239
diablorojo

That's how its set up...
Old 06-10-2012, 01:23 PM   #240
ritos530i

Quote:
Here is another quick sketch. Maybe this will help. The ecu should have no additional trouble because its still a simple maf calculation. Now, based on this sketch, where are u saying the issue would be...

Scaling the MAF for one or the other will probably cause issues.