E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:13 AM   #1
m3racer007

My Ride: e46 m3
yellow "Brake" light on and traction control light on

Hey guys, I have a e46 325i and my yellow "brake" light is on along with my traction control light is on. These came on both at the same time... What is the most likely cause of this?

I heard it could be a speed sensor?
Control Unit?
alignment issue?

This seems like it is a very common problem... (good excuse to have traction control off 24/7 tho ) hahaha Just kidding...

I do need an alignment because I Hit a big pot hole like 2 days ago at night... could that be the likely culprit?

Thanks for all your advice
m3racer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:13 AM   #2
CWest22

My Ride: 2001 325Ci
i have the same thing going on, could a bad control arm bushing do this?
CWest22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 AM   #3
m3racer007

Mine actually just went off by itself... I also heard low voltage comming from battery could be the problem, and I actually replaced the front A pillars, disconected the battery so the airbags don't blow up in my face and I never tightened it back on properly... I tightened them on before... and I was good to go... I hope its not a coincidence and it comes on again.

I have no idea about the control arm bushings?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:15 AM   #4
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
I got the same two lights a couple of weeks ago. Car was sitting for 3 days and gave me those two lights after startup in fairly cold weather. Stayed on the entire way to work (55 miles), but went off the next time I started the car.

As far as I know, my battery has never been changed. I suspect it is going to need replacement soon.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:32 AM   #5
m3racer007

so you too probably had the low voltage issue...

Last edited by m3racer007; 10-31-2011 at 10:33 AM. Reason: mistake
Old 11-01-2011, 12:42 PM   #6
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
The "usual suspects" for these lights coming are
1) Wheel speed sensor dirty or failed (cheap part, easy labor)
2) Steering angle sensor needs recalibration or replacement (cheap part, moderately expensive labor)
3) DSC module failed (expensive part?)
4) Other CAN bus or electrical problem (possibly low voltage?)

There has been quite a bit of debate as to which of these are the most likely cause and the best troubleshooting approach. The two most common recommendations seem to be
A) Get a dealer or good indie shop to read the ABS/DSC codes, or...
B) Remove, clean and reinstall all four wheel speed sensors. If that doesn't work, go back to "A"

Last edited by LivesNearCostco; 11-01-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: added comment on rough repair costs
LivesNearCostco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #7
95lsteg

My Ride: 2000 328i
I'm having the same probs, plus the central locking acting weird when using the remote control....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #8
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Your alternator could be going south.
Old 11-04-2011, 12:30 PM   #9
silverbmwfirst

My Ride: 2002 AA HKS 325ci
I had this once when I upgraded my brakes. I didn't tighten up my SS brake line all the way and lost some fluid. Verify your brake fluid is not low... Just an idea
silverbmwfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 12:32 PM   #10
m3racer007

god damn light came on again.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:34 PM   #11
cbritton

My Ride: 2000 323i
I used to get this all the time when it was cold, and the culprit was low voltage. I took out the battery, topped it off with the distilled water, and I was good to go.
cbritton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 10:32 AM   #12
manoftheway

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325CI
Same Problem.

Okay Guys,

I have had this same problem for about 2 months now. I've been researching and have found that it could be caused by any one of a number of sensors/problems. The lights turned on during a very wet and rainy week here in Wyoming and have not turned off once since that week. Do you guys know if there is a more common problem that happens because of water getting into specific sensors?

I have also noticed unusual wear on my passenger side rear tire as it is wearing more on the inside of the tire. Could this be causing the problem? I have inspected all of the bushings on the suspension and the all seem to be fine. is there anything else I should check??

The Bimmer has 279,000 on it so I am more than willing to do whatever maintenance is necessary.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
manoftheway is offline   Reply With Quote