E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Gun Talk

Gun Talk
Are you a gun fanatic as well? If so, you'll want to talk to other owners about what you own in this forum.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 02:02 PM   #1
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Looking for a duty belt - suggestions?

As the title says, I'm looking for a duty belt. It will hold a pistol, two AR mag pouches, and two pistol mag pouches, maybe a flashlight pouch in the future.

I'm looking for something that I can use at a class and for private training at the range. I don't think I need to go so far as to get a battle belt, as I think it's overkill for my situation and I would rather progress to that point later if I feel it's needed. So far I've looked at the TAG Duty Belt, Eagle Duty Belt, Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, and the Spec-Ops Duty Belt, but I have no first hand experience with any of them.

I think the riggers versions are going to be uncomfortable, due to the amount of material in the front and buckle, but that's just an assumption.

What do you guys use that you like?
Old 10-31-2011, 03:23 PM   #2
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
As the title says, I'm looking for a duty belt. It will hold a pistol, two AR mag pouches, and two pistol mag pouches, maybe a flashlight pouch in the future.
So far I've looked at the TAG Duty Belt, Eagle Duty Belt, Wilderness 5 Stitch Belt, and the Spec-Ops Duty Belt, but I have no first hand experience with any of them.
The TAG and Eagle belts are both exterior belts and are proper tactical "duty belts". They have that inner velcro liner for use with an inner liner belt. You have to wear a separate liner belt inside your pant belt loops that has an opposing hook/loop material, and then you wear those duty belts over the belt loops and inner belt. It's a system that works well for holding gear, but you would do well to invest in some belt keepers to make sure the belt doesn't move around. As you add more things onto the belt, you lose the hook/pile "real estate", and you get less grip and retention of the outer belt to the inner belt; hence why we cops have to wear belt keepers. Both of these belts are good investments, if that is the way you want to go.

The Spec-Ops duty belt is really kind of cheap and generic in design, and I don't think it's good for anything more than keeping your pants up.
The Wilderness 5 belt is a better option, as it has the additional stitching to increase the rigidity of the belt. If you want to run a holster or several components off of a belt, you need one that is fairly rigid in order to prevent bending and flexing, which causes chafing and discomfort on the waistline.

I personally use the Blackhawk! Instructor Gun Belt, which is a rigger belt with a kydex inserts to make it very rigid. While it worked very well on my pants, it works a lot better when used on a battle belt. This is one of only a few articles of kit that Blackhawk makes that I actually still like, but it's a great belt. I would prefer a Cobra belt buckle, though.
Another belt you may want to look at is the ARES Gear Ranger Belt.
http://www.aresgear.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=6
It works great for both inside the belt loops, or when used with a battle belt. You'll pay for the price, but it's a very high-quality and stiff belt. I will likely be going to this belt by next spring. I've seen these things in action, and they're great kit.

With all of that said, I would highly suggest looking into a battle belt. In terms of comfort, you will be impressed how much more comfortable they are. My VTAC Brokos battle belt has immensely eased the load on my waist.
At a minimum, I'm running a Safariland Holster, two FastMag pistol mag pouches and a dump pouch for rifle courses. I can take the thing on and off and in seconds instead of minutes. If I want to add something, it only takes a few minutes to reconfigure with another mag pouch, light pouch, or whatever I want. Plus, there aren't a lot of things out there that you can't attach to MOLLE webbing.

My VTAC Brokos belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
I think the riggers versions are going to be uncomfortable, due to the amount of material in the front and buckle, but that's just an assumption.

What do you guys use that you like?
Actually, riggers belts are not noticeable for anyone I've ever seen use them. Myself included. Most people never notice a difference.

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 05:13 PM   #3
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Interesting that you mentioned the Brokos belt, because that was my original choice and what I considered the "all in" option. I had put together the VTAC Brokos belt along with their Cobra belt. I've been waffling between going cheap and easing into the purchase to see what I really want and need, and just getting everything from the start. Your reply is now making me lean more towards my original option.
Old 10-31-2011, 06:21 PM   #4
Reedo302

My Ride: F30 328i M Sport
As people get more and more involved in training, I see more and more people going to battle belt setups. I originally didn't have any intention to, but after having issues with discomfort and chafing on my waistline from so much weight being on the belt, I re-examined and realized that it was the best option to go with a battle belt. I'm glad I did.
I would look at it as a long-term investment. There are several battle belts that I would recommend. There are belts that are less expensive, if you wanted to "ease" into it.
http://www.skdtac.com/Tactical-Belts-s/475.htm
ATS War Belt $40
HSGI Sure-Grip Padded Belt $75

Gunfighter Training Development and Evaluation
AR15/AR10 Armorer/Advanced Armorer
Glock Armorer

Gunfighter Training YouTube Channel
Reedo302 is offline   Reply With Quote