E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
TxTorqueMade

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via Yahoo to TxTorqueMade
Help! 2002 330i. Stopped running, now wont' start. Pulled codes...and...

My 2002 330i stopped running, or specifically, would not rev, no power for about 1/4 mile then, once pulled into parking lot, now will not start. Turns over, but engine will not run.

Background:

I replaced CCV, all intake boots, pre-cat O2 sensors, plugs VCG, etc. SAP was found to be not working, got a funky one off the forum here, I dont think its working but the car has been running fine, better than ever, since the work was done. I HAVE been running with the MAF disconnected and this yielded an excellent idle and pulled hard and normal as ever. There has been a slight tapping when on load from 20mph, but again, running excellent.

PEAKE tool codes:

E4 - O2 sensor 4-6
E3 - O2 sensor 1-3
08 - air flow meter
CC Idle control system, Idle speed implausible
C6 - Cat. convt. efficiency 1-3
C7 - Cat. convt. efficiency 4-6

The car is behaving as though it isn't getting gas, no combustion. My first inclination is fuel pump, but it did not fail over time. It was sudden and no precursor symptoms.

I know the crank position sensor will not send a signal to the fuel pump if is bad, so this could be the culprit.

I believe the air intake temp sensor might have a short, it was soldered on by a friend when we were doing the work on the CCV, intake, etc.

The intake work was done over two months ago, car has been running great, albiet, without the MAF plugged in.

Suggestions? Ideas?

So. fuel pump vs. ECU vs. crank position sensor, post cat sensors?? Seems all but the fuel pump would still allow the car to run???

How can I test the fuel pump? What diagnostics can I DO as opposed to towing to shop. Car will not start/run now at all. But, does turn over.

I already disconnected the neg battery terminal, no workie. I also checked fuel pump fuse. Is okie dokie.

Ok.... fanatics... help a guy out here.

Thanks!!

Last edited by TxTorqueMade; 10-31-2011 at 04:12 PM.
TxTorqueMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Check that fuelpump is running by whining sound under the back seat. Check the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment console.
kwikt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
TxTorqueMade

Yeah.. thought of that. Going to check fuse for power, fp terminals (under the backseat right? I know it is on my e30, but...) and then see if fuel is delivered to rail. If not, assume FP and bite that expensive bullet. Or CrankPS... dammit...
Old 10-31-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
slkman99

My Ride: '02 BMW 325i ZPP
Did this happen today?
I noticed some jackass messing around under the hood of a white e46 this afternoon near Park & Preston.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:58 PM   #5
TxTorqueMade

Said jackass.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM   #6
kwikt

Yep, pull up on the back seat to remove. Then place your hand on the fuel pump(passenger side)and turn the key. Like I said, check the fuel pump relay along with the fuse. My guess is the fuel pump. How many miles on it. Mine gave up at 105,000 miles. No buzzing no humming.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM   #7
BMWCaptain

Location: TEXAS - Where I give Real World advice and don't just criticize others. People here need to RESPECT other's opinions!
My Ride: 03 325iT SportWagon
It can be hard to hear the pump when other bells go off when turning he car on. Take the connector off and check the voltage. When you start the car the pump will be turned on for 10 seconds. Check that the voltage goes from 0v to 5v and then back to 0v. If that does not happen, then you can check your fuses and relays. This will help you to decide if you need to check the pump or check the electrical path. This will save you a lot of unneeded diagnosis. Please let us know what you find.
BMWCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:47 AM   #8
TxTorqueMade

157k miles. Original FP. Going over to the car now to check the fuel pump, etc. Will advise later. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:49 AM   #9
TxTorqueMade

Quote:
Originally Posted by slkman99 View Post
Did this happen today?
I noticed some jackass messing around under the hood of a white e46 this afternoon near Park & Preston.
...and by the way, thanks for the help and your kind comment.

Last edited by TxTorqueMade; 11-01-2011 at 04:04 PM.
TxTorqueMade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 04:02 PM   #10
TxTorqueMade

Update:

Tested the fuel pump. Power to the socket, but pump makes no noise and pumps no gas. Fuel pump on order, should have it in this evening. Hope that's all it is. Dammit!
Old 11-01-2011, 05:24 PM   #11
kwikt

Yep, probably due.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 PM   #12
TxTorqueMade

Final Resolution:

Picked up a Sieman's VDO fuel pump for 140.00 from a friend with the hook up at WorldPac. Started right up. Running better than it has in years. Idle is smoothing out as the ECU is learning new adaptive limits and the car pulls with no ping, or clatter throughout the band. Its All Good.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Except slkman99. Thinking your probably a typical Dallas douche.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #13
Hollywood516

My Ride: 02 330i
Now you should change fuel filter also..they go hand and hand ..
Old 11-01-2011, 07:52 PM   #14
TxTorqueMade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood516 View Post
Now you should change fuel filter also..they go hand and hand ..
Already done about 4 months ago.