E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-31-2011, 07:31 PM   #1
brodaiga

My Ride: 330ci
tire leaking air

aftermarket 19s and 235/45/19 general exclaim tires. one of the tires leaks air and has to be refilled every week. Could this be a valve stem issue? I've had this setup for a while and this just recently started. I don't have the tools at the moment to lift the car to inspect the rim, but I cannot feel any bends in the rims when driving and it is the front driver side tire

Thanks
brodaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Take the wheel off and use water/soap to see where it's leaking from.

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:34 PM   #3
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Take the wheel off and use water/soap to see where it's leaking from.
how?
Old 10-31-2011, 10:44 PM   #4
Top_Bunk

My Ride: Ram-Air Nylon
+1 to soapy water. A spray bottle works well.
Top_Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 10:53 PM   #5
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by brodaiga View Post
how?
dowse it with the soapy water solution, either brush it on or spray it on. Where ever it's leaking air from will start to form bubbles.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:20 PM   #6
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Quote:
aftermarket 19s and 235/45/19 general exclaim tires. one of the tires leaks air and has to be refilled every week. Could this be a valve stem issue? I've had this setup for a while and this just recently started. I don't have the tools at the moment to lift the car to inspect the rim, but I cannot feel any bends in the rims when driving and it is the front driver side tire

Thanks
I had same issue about 6yrs ago, kept refilling every week,eventually weakend sidewall enough and it exploded on the freeway almost killed me. Take it to tire place immediately!!!

If checking for leaks also check schreader valve stem often overlooked, can go bad.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:52 PM   #7
brodaiga

what can go bad besides the rim being bent?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Oil. Leaks.

My Ride: 2002 330i
Bent rim, bad valve stem or a pinhole in the sidewall

Youtube - Electric Fan Swap - Projector Retrofit - Bulb Guide - NY to LA cross country
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:02 AM   #9
brodaiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Bent rim, bad valve stem or a pinhole in the sidewall
since I don't have the tools to take the tire off now, can I just change the valve stem and spray some compound that seals leaks in the tire and see what that does?
Old 11-01-2011, 12:05 AM   #10
Vic328CSi

My Ride: depends on the mood
Quote:
since I don't have the tools to take the tire off now, can I just change the valve stem and spray some compound that seals leaks in the tire and see what that does?
Spray stuff ruins tires go ahead do that if u never want to repair it. Stem change is easy, go buy a new schreader valve first.

e46 328Ci 9psi SC
Vic328CSi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
Drew@Swift Motorworks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Scooty Puff Jr
Also could be a cracked rim. keep an eye out for that.
Drew@Swift Motorworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #12
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Really... The car comes with a jack and the tools to take the tire off.

The tire shops will use a water vat to look for the leak, same principle as the soapy water.

If you don't want to do it yourself, then take it to Les Schwab (if you have one around you) and they'll probably fix it for free.

Edit: Couldn't see you were from FL while I was leaving the post - Les Schwab is more of a West coast thing...

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///

Last edited by TitaniumCranium; 11-01-2011 at 11:24 AM.
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #13
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:

Thanks
Take the tire off of the car and drop the wheel into a tank of water, look for where the bubbles come from. Your tire shop should be doing this...
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:53 PM   #14
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
how?
How? Drive to the tire shop, ANY tire shop. America's Tire Store (aka, Discount Tire Store in some parts of the country) will do tire repairs for free. If the tire is leaking, they will repair it. If the rim is leaking, they will be able to figure out where it is leaking from and either fix it or tell you bought somebody's crap off of eBay.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #15
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
+1 on the soapy water. Or you could just take it to a tire shop and have them deal with it. If you get the tire repaired/patched make sure they rebalance it. Simple enough but a lot of people forget.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 03:26 PM   #16
kerunt

My Ride: '07 335i Coupe 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdown View Post
Also could be a cracked rim. keep an eye out for that.
+1.

Had this happen this past summer. Replaced valve stems, checked tire, still kept leaking. Turned out to be a crack in the rim.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #17
gitchies

My Ride: 05 325xi
Quote:
how?
Really? ...i think there is 6.5 bolts to undo, maybe the tire size should have been 20 inches instead of 19, ......i like this forum there is some useful information here....but sometimes i wonder....
maybe the grocery store can check the tire?
gitchies is offline   Reply With Quote