E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
Bimmer31

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i
Send a message via MSN to Bimmer31
New Opinion on my 4 hours trip

I went to a repair shop to get my car checked up, and alot came out ( on the picture )LOL which not surprising for almost "150K miles" E46. My question are do u think this car would make it for a 4 hours drive? and the Oild Stand Gasket is the same as Oil Filter Stand Gasket right? thanks guys for reading this and hopefully give me some good advice

Bimmer31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #2
zhenkaaaM3

My Ride: Fst'r then your e46
I think you should reconsider ever going to that shop ever again. Prices are ridiculously HIGH. Brake flush? That takes a few minutes to do. I had 4 new rotors, all new pads, and sensors, OEM for $650, labor included. Keep that in mind.

I used to be an e46 owner. I love this one more.

zhenkaaaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #3
briangl92

My Ride: A08 ZSP ZPP SULEV
If it were me and it even had the check engine light on I would not be road tripping it. If it has these problems now, 4 hours of driving won't do it any favors.
I got all my pads, rotors, and sensors changed, brake fluid flushed, and oil change all for a shade over $900, all OEM parts. They quoted you $901 for the front brakes alone.
briangl92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
moiz21

My Ride: 1999 323i 5-SPD
Whats the CEL for?

The oil stand gasket is most likely the oil filter housing gasket. You should be fine if the CEL isn't anything serious. Take some oil with you to make sure you can top up if low. Suspersion should hold up if you havent had any issues as of yet. And if your brake light isn't on, means your sensor hasn't been tripped. If that is the case, your brakes should still be good, at the very least for this trip.

In short, you should be fine for this trip. Just start getting things taken care of bit by bit. Brakes should be first I think, the suspension and finally oil leaks (as long as the leaks aren't severe that is).

Also, literally everything mentioned is a DIY. Look up the walkthroughs on here or bimmerfest and you should be able to save at least ~$1500.

MODS
P46 Projectors + FX-R Retrofit + 6k D2S / 60 LED AE's / Smoked LED Tails / Smoked Turn and Side Markers / BSW 10" Sub /ZHP Knob / Matte Black Grills / DICE / Parrot + Connects2 / OEM Alternative Alarm Mod / Clutch Switch Delay Mod / M3 Rep Front Bumper / 3M Black CF Di-Noc Wrap / K&N Intake / 35% Tint All Around / Black Short Eurotray / 545i Shifter
moiz21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:51 PM   #5
Jmanscotch

My Ride: makes my pants tight
Agreed with most. Find out what the CEL is and go from there. The rest can likely wait if it meets the aforementioned guidlines.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Whats the CEL for?
And if your brake light isn't on, means your sensor hasn't been tripped.

Don't mean to threadjack but how reliable do you find that? The last time I replaced my brakes, they were grinding because there was nothing left, yet there was still no light.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #7
Bimmer31

LOL i know man, they do this checkup for free so i just went to check it out,
i would not get job done with them most of these i can do it myself anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
I think you should reconsider ever going to that shop ever again. Prices are ridiculously HIGH. Brake flush? That takes a few minutes to do. I had 4 new rotors, all new pads, and sensors, OEM for $650, labor included. Keep that in mind.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #8
Bimmer31

the CEL is about p0174, they dont know what it is and the $154 is for them to find out what it is LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
If it were me and it even had the check engine light on I would not be road tripping it. If it has these problems now, 4 hours of driving won't do it any favors.
I got all my pads, rotors, and sensors changed, brake fluid flushed, and oil change all for a shade over $900, all OEM parts. They quoted you $901 for the front brakes alone.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Bimmer31

p0174 is the code but they r not sure what it is $154 to find out so i said ill think about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmanscotch View Post
Agreed with most. Find out what the CEL is and go from there. The rest can likely wait if it meets the aforementioned guidlines.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:55 PM   #10
zhenkaaaM3

I am sure a code like that is somewhere on this forum. If you just used the search function..

found it in 10 seconds.

P0174 = System too lean Bank 2

Old 11-01-2011, 09:56 PM   #11
briangl92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer31 View Post
the CEL is about p0174, they dont know what it is and the $154 is for them to find out what it is LOL
Tell them they should try out some new software...it's known as Google.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0174
Old 11-01-2011, 09:57 PM   #12
Bimmer31

p0174 is the code but they r not sure what it is $154 to find out so i said ill think about it. thats what i think too man, it would be fine for 4 hours but just wanna see what people think, no other car to take on this trip anyway and done feel like renting one
Quote:
Originally Posted by moiz21 View Post
Whats the CEL for?

The oil stand gasket is most likely the oil filter housing gasket. You should be fine if the CEL isn't anything serious. Take some oil with you to make sure you can top up if low. Suspersion should hold up if you havent had any issues as of yet. And if your brake light isn't on, means your sensor hasn't been tripped. If that is the case, your brakes should still be good, at the very least for this trip.

In short, you should be fine for this trip. Just start getting things taken care of bit by bit. Brakes should be first I think, the suspension and finally oil leaks (as long as the leaks aren't severe that is).

Also, literally everything mentioned is a DIY. Look up the walkthroughs on here or bimmerfest and you should be able to save at least ~$1500.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:00 PM   #13
Bimmer31

they told me it could be this and that and on and on LOL so they wanna make sure what is it for sure(trying to make at least 154 of my pocket)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briangl92 View Post
Tell them they should try out some new software...it's known as Google.
http://www.obd-codes.com/p0174
Old 11-01-2011, 10:04 PM   #14
zhenkaaaM3

the member just answered your CEL question... and what do you mean they said, "it could be this and that". How do they randomly bring up random codes? If their computer says its this code, then thats would you should be looking into, a new o2 sensor.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 PM   #15
Bimmer31

I used to have po171 and p0174 but after i changed my pre-cat O2 sensors and Throttle Body that was crack, and also clean my MAF then the CEL went off for 2 weeks and now only p0174 came back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E46tknv View Post
I am sure a code like that is somewhere on this forum. If you just used the search function..

found it in 10 seconds.

P0174 = System too lean Bank 2
Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 PM   #16
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
That CEL code is nothing to worry about. I had a similar code and cleared it with the Peake tool. Never came back. Btw, the Peake tool costs me $140.

You can visually check the brake pads. Most likely they will be ok for a 4 hr trip unless it is bumper to bumper traffic. All the listed items are trivial.

OP, learn to be a little car savvy. You are not a girl. Are you?
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #17
kermitthefloer

My Ride: 04 330ci/ 99 S70
you should def be fine, personally I drove my car with a CEL most of its time with me. I knew it was the cat though and thats why I didnt care much.

Def DIY all that you can, and save your hundreds for MODS lol ... I personally think (with the help of a friend) I could do most of that and I honestly have no confidence when it comes to doing jobs on my car. Yet I have done a good share.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 PM   #18
deadpass

My Ride: 01 330i
Reset your SES and see if it comes back. The only thing on that list that would concern me is the FCABs as a 4 hour trip could chew up your tires. The rest, assuming your brakes aren't metal on metal and you're not gonna be screaming thru some switchbacks, can wait til later or never. My car needs the oil filter housing gasket, but it's a huge PITA and only leaks a drip of oil so I haven't bothered yet.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:52 PM   #19
Stinger9

My Ride: '04 330Ci
Don't Do That!

Wow! Stop! If you are a girl, don't ever admit it on here. Guys get all funny and start hitting on them from what I've seen. Start acting polite and other funny stuff.
Keep your gender to yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post

Stinger9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 PM   #20
Bimmer31

yeah i cleared the code and it came back LOL, and yeah i need to take care my car better since im not a girl haha,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
That CEL code is nothing to worry about. I had a similar code and cleared it with the Peake tool. Never came back. Btw, the Peake tool costs me $140.

You can visually check the brake pads. Most likely they will be ok for a 4 hr trip unless it is bumper to bumper traffic. All the listed items are trivial.