E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #21
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 BMW 331Ci, 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by xdmikey View Post
thanks again, Rob!

does anyone here, not their uncle's father's dog' beautician, but they themselves have this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
Didn't E46Mango get one of those OETuning tunes and love it?

Yes, E46Mango swears by this company. I'm pretty sure he has a dyno video with good results.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 S.C.C.A.
(DynoDynamics http://www.vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind" M54 CAMS 264/252 $849
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
Rob43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 05:57 PM   #22
xdmikey

My Ride: e46 cabrio
surface mount chip vs BDM. both are 13 hp/12 tq, which i'm sure smacks my dinan in the 'nads.

but.

i know i want more power but am unsure on how to go about it. i think i will attend a few autoXs(i know a tech who at least used to race!)and see if i can pick up a few pointers for cheap.

i stayed up late last night reading all 22 pages about the guy who rebuilt/SC'd his ride mainly in his apt parking lot. big props! even though i dropped my playbook twice(can you say sleepy?) before i finished.

fortunately i'm not dangerous as i have no funds and no expectations of having any
Old 11-21-2011, 03:14 PM   #23
nleksan

My Ride: 328Ci, 325i, 740i
Send a message via AIM to nleksan
Really it depends on budget, intended use, and the like... Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Software is a good beginning, especially when paired with a 3.46 differential, but the best thing you can do before anything else is make sure your car is completely up-to-date maintenance-wise. I'm talking plugs, oil, tranny/diff fluid, coolant, belts, water pump, t-stat, etc... While you're in there, throw in a Stewart-EMP water pump and UUC/TMS under-drive pulleys, use NGK Laser plugs, and I recommend Redline D4 ATF for transmission and 75w90 for differential (although others like MTF/MT90 for manual trans, for my climate the D4 ATF is perfect).

After doing that, THEN start looking to add power. It just seems pointless to me to try and extract an extra 5hp from an intake if your car is already down 10hp due to worn plugs and such.

That's just my opinion, and I'm not an expert (Rob43 has got quite a bit of knowledge in this area), I've simply tried lots of different stuff with my cars, found what has worked and what hasn't (and probably spent way too much money).

As far as parts, though, I can wholeheartedly recommend:
Intake: aFe ProDry S stg1, K&N FIPK (replace filter with non-oiled), Dinan CF "True" CAI, Conforti CAI
Headers: Active Autowerke (love 'em)
Exhaust: UUC TSE3, Magnaflow Catback, Eisenmann Street/Race, Rogue DMS
Software: Conforti Shark Injector, ESS Software
U/D Pulleys: UUC, Turner Motorsport

A lightweight flywheel and lighter wheels will be of significant benefit, as you're getting back power your car already makes, not trying to get it to make more. Not to mention, with the wheels, dropping 10-12lbs unsprung weight (if not more) is hugely noticeable, and it affects not just acceleration but also handling and braking. There is really no downside. Underdrive pulleys have the same idea behind them, and a combination of UD Pulleys, LW Flywheel, and LW Wheels will allow other modifications to really "shine".

I wouldn't expect HUGE gains on an M54 (330/325), but it's noticeable. On an M52 (328/323), gains are more noticeable no doubt, as I've seen back-to-back my 328Ci put down quite a bit more gain to the wheels than the same part on a friend's 330 or another friend's Z4 3.0si.

Good luck, and enjoy

- DPE - Apex - BBS - PFC 6/4 2pc BBK - KW Clubsport - PowerFlex -
- M-Tech - Rogue Engineering - Ground Control - Odyssey -
- Hotchkis - AFE - UUC - AKG - Dinan - VAC - TC Kline -
- TMS - OS Giken - SuperSprint - Vorsteiner - Recaro - Samco - Fluidyne - MORE! -
GARAGE:
- 2000 328Ci Topaz 6MT-Swap ZSP/ZPP/ZCW/HID/HK (Street/Track)
- 2001 325i TiAg 5MT/ZSP/ZCW (Street)
- 2006 M3 ZCP AW/IR 6MT/ZCP/HID (Street)
nleksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 07:08 AM   #24
POLECAT

My Ride: 2001 330ci M-T
thanks all for your replies. nleksan u wrote clearly thanks bud. i look up your advices parts. i will buy a few day. but i have new problem now
my car is in service. my car is get oil consumption. we took down engine. there are %5 blank in cylinders. mechanicer said '' i must get a new piston ring '' if i accept that how would be car ? is it well ? and whats your advices ?
POLECAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 12:07 PM   #25
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLECAT View Post
thanks all for your replies. nleksan u wrote clearly thanks bud. i look up your advices parts. i will buy a few day. but i have new problem now
my car is in service. my car is get oil consumption. we took down engine. there are %5 blank in cylinders. mechanicer said '' i must get a new piston ring '' if i accept that how would be car ? is it well ? and whats your advices ?
english please and oil consumption? does the 5 % down mean 5% down after doing a compression test on each cylinder? if not it might be a oil leak .. chck out the ofhg and also your valve cover gasket as well your oil pan gasket could be leaking.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:56 PM   #26
POLECAT

u ask engine compression test ? the test seem 10.5 bar for all cylinder. Engine have reduced oil. we opened engine. the cylinders get corrosion %5.thats why i wanna re-build the engine. for example: piston,piston rings,cylinder liners. should i enlarge of piston's size and will it better for me ? how is goetze brand quality ? and whats your advices for brands ? thanks
Old 11-25-2011, 06:39 PM   #27
LivesNearCostco

My Ride: 2003 ZHP 6MT
How many miles do you think the standard NGK platinum plugs last? BMW official recommendation is to change them at 100,000 miles, but others (including I think Rajae of Beisan Systems fame) have said change them every 60K. My car has 155,000 miles, PO changed plus somewhere between 90-100K. I'd be happy to change them myself for $60 (parts + shipping) if that added even 4HP. Heck, I just ordered a Shark Injector for $349 which only promises +4 RWHP (plus some other benefits).

But I don't want to spend $60 now if the plugs are good for another 40K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nleksan View Post
After doing that, THEN start looking to add power. It just seems pointless to me to try and extract an extra 5hp from an intake if your car is already down 10hp due to worn plugs and such.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:02 PM   #28
Steven747

Quote:
How many miles do you think the standard NGK platinum plugs last? BMW official recommendation is to change them at 100,000 miles, but others (including I think Rajae of Beisan Systems fame) have said change them every 60K. My car has 155,000 miles, PO changed plus somewhere between 90-100K. I'd be happy to change them myself for $60 (parts + shipping) if that added even 4HP. Heck, I just ordered a Shark Injector for $349 which only promises +4 RWHP (plus some other benefits).

But I don't want to spend $60 now if the plugs are good for another 40K miles.
takes 20 minuets to pull 1. do it and inspect take pics and put it up on here and you'll find out if you need to change them or not
Old 11-26-2011, 03:36 AM   #29
LivesNearCostco

Right-ee-ooo, good idea. I think next weekend I'll pull 3 or 4 plugs and post photos.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:39 AM   #30
POLECAT

bump bump
Old 12-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #31
LivesNearCostco

OK, here are my spark plugs. Car has 155,000 miles. Previous owner replaced them sometime between 90,000 and 130,000 miles. So these plugs have between 25,000-65,000 on them, most likely 55,000 (PO probably changed at 100,000). Close-ups are of plugs 2/3/4. In 2nd photo, that's 2/3/4 from left to right. In 3rd photo, that's 4/3/2 from left to right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
takes 20 minuets to pull 1. do it and inspect take pics and put it up on here and you'll find out if you need to change them or not
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Plugs_22Dec2011_frontAll_small.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	429830   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plugs_22Dec2011_2to4_small.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	429831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Plugs_22Dec2011_topview_2to4_small.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	429832  
Old 12-23-2011, 02:01 PM   #32
Steven747

Quote:
OK, here are my spark plugs. Car has 155,000 miles. Previous owner replaced them sometime between 90,000 and 130,000 miles. So these plugs have between 25,000-65,000 on them, most likely 55,000 (PO probably changed at 100,000). Close-ups are of plugs 2/3/4. In 2nd photo, that's 2/3/4 from left to right. In 3rd photo, that's 4/3/2 from left to right.
yeah they look burnt and old. hope your changing them while they are out!.

once you get some fresh new 1's in there I'm sure you will notice some more peppiness just like i did when i did mine