E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-30-2012, 01:40 AM   #21
Hornung418

My Ride: '04 MB ZHP
What about Rob's info is useless? Clearly you're ill informed and didn't read his post properly. Just because something can handle 9k revs, doesn't mean it's going to hang out there all day. Just means that they are safe to use. Learn to read.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:46 AM   #22
MotorMan

My Ride: e39
Quote:
valves will be weight reduced by 40%, valve spring clearance will be re-arranged
I'm interested as to how you are going to accomplish that.
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #23
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post

if youīre able to give us useful information, do it. otherwise donīt hesitate to take your info with you... somewhere else
I've never used one of these before....but I think it's appropriate:

Figure out who Rob43 is yet?
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 PM   #24
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMan View Post
I was more curious about honing the tops of the lifter buckets....that's a new one for me.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:06 AM   #25
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iCA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorMan View Post
valves will be made of Si3N4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I've never used one of these before....but I think it's appropriate:

Figure out who Rob43 is yet?
Did i care? Even if he would be the one and only engine designer in the world, at that point anyone wants me to believe that an M54B30 can revv up to 9000rpm without damage, its over.
this little topic is about information on a special camshaft setup. i donīt care if anyone is using titanium retainers or some other shit. iīve done titanium valves, retaines and other goodies, too. but whats the purpose of that? i havenīt asked about supertech valves or anything like that and if he thinks after my answer he should be ratty... well

so please come back to topic, this one is just about camshafts!
daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 AM   #26
ac_2007

My Ride: E46 - M3 & 325i
Quote:

Did i care? Even if he would be the one and only engine designer in the world, at that point anyone wants me to believe that an M54B30 can revv up to 9000rpm without damage, its over.
this little topic is about information on a special camshaft setup. i donīt care if anyone is using titanium retainers or some other shit. iīve done titanium valves, retaines and other goodies, too. but whats the purpose of that? i havenīt asked about supertech valves or anything like that and if he thinks after my answer he should be ratty... well

Nobody is saying, or wants you to believe that. He just said the cams are capable of tolerating those RPMs. Reading comprehension > You.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:27 AM   #27
MotorMan

My Ride: e39
Quote:
You have a source for silicon nitride valves for a BMW M54? I haven't had the need to look that hard but I don't remember even seeing titanium valves available for the M54.

BTW- I'm not trying to be a jerk, but I usually say I going to get a drink of water, rather than, I'm going to get a drink of H2O. This forum is read by car guys, not chemists.
MotorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:19 AM   #28
MSportBMW

My Ride: E46, EVO8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob43 View Post
The only thing I'd question is this:

Would the 272/256 cams work well in the OP's Auto 330Ci ? I'd want to know the answer to this question with at least a little certainty before buying & installing them. If they did work, I'd also install the Supertech Valve Springs with Titanium retainers, about $500 & good to 9000 RPM.

Good luck,
Rob.
OP ROB is just making a recommendation which is his opinion. I think for 272s its not really needed however. But it is recommended by many of the engine builders from my research. I believe the stock valve springs on the B25/B30 head are good for 7K RPM which I think you will most likely end up with. Not sure on the implications on the auto with this kind of configuration but personally I wouldn't bother with a NA aggressive cam set up with an auto. Personally if I were you I'd just boost it.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:01 AM   #29
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
No, it's not 9000, but it's 8500.

M54 with S54 ITBs. "Race" grind cams.

Quote:
Even if he would be the one and only engine designer in the world, at that point anyone wants me to believe that an M54B30 can revv up to 9000rpm without damage, its over.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 AM   #30
lejeunebimmer

My Ride: 02' M3 SMG, 02' 330i
Wow, $hit went south in a hurry! There are a lot of firsts that I have never heard of coming from the op like 5angle valve jobs, and rejoining the buckets on the lifters....

Rob is one of the best sources of information on this board, and you decided to be a jack wagon rather than just simply listen to his advice and opinion. No where did he say that the rest of the engine could/shoul/would be revved to 9k, merely that the springs could handle it.

So why get a set of cams that will move your power band farther up in the rpm range 7k ish i think and then just reuse your stock lifters, rathert than buying new ones? Why no port and polish, why on an auto (actually just curious, not judging on that one) why why why?

Btw I have seen some sodium filled titanium valves, that are +1mm for whoever said they hadn't found for the m54
330i - AA Tuned, Headers, UUC Stage I LW FW, e36 M3 Clutch, UUC SS Clutch line, BMW Performance Intake, Evo Sport Pulleys, BMW Performance Cross-Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS, BW SS Brake Lines, BW Solid Guide Bushings, BMW Performance CF Strut Brace, H&R Sways, H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, Powerflex Bushings, LED Tails, Clear Sides/Turns, Black Grill, Mtech 2, CF Splitters

M3 - Not enough room to list
lejeunebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM   #31
HaloArchive

My Ride: My Office Chair
Get a M3.

/thread
HaloArchive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
Iceman00

My Ride: E90 6MT
I've heard the retainers are a weak point at higher rpm for these cars. I forgot his name (shame he hasn't been around much) Mrshelly? commented that these motors would eat them at sustained high rpm use.
Old 05-05-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
Quote:

The m54 can't even rev up to it's stock zhp limit at 6800rpm without running into problems...
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 03:27 PM   #34
secono330ci

My Ride: 04' 330ci & 99' 540i
As for your arguement though; if you build it right, its possible.

This reminds me of when samBROchill made this thread:
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=637892
secono330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #35
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:

Dale Carnegie is your friend.